Beale Reviews Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

→ in
Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums

Anyone that knows me knows that I'm not the world’s biggest anime fan. It's not that I have anything against it...it's just when going to rent movies, I very rarely rent them. It just isn't what catches my eye. Add to the fact that this is the sequel to a movie which I've read is horrible, and it's a miracle that I rented this in the first place. It's even more amazing that I love it so.

There are so many wonderful things about this movie...first off, we'll start with the title character. Here we have the vampire version of Eastwood's Man with No Name. D is the ultimate bounty hunter. (One with vampire blood in his veins and a cross-sword). He is also at war with himself about his nature and what he should do. Best of all, his left hand talks to him, and is quite often very funny.

While we're talking about characters, I'll touch upon those that I really liked. First off, we have the Markus Brothers. They are a family of vampire hunters, and each has his unique weapon a style. All are pretty well fleshed out as well, but one stands out as the coolest. (See the spoiler paragraph below for more on that) The Markus Brothers provide for the great horror trend of "who will die next", and for once, (as it is used as a side-show), I really like that.

WARNING: "Grove" spoilers below
That character is Grove, who is young, ailing, has white hair and almost grey skin. What's awesome is that he is the most powerful of all the Markus Brothers. He injects himself with some sort of drug, and then proceeds to kill vampires with his soul. Tell me that isn't awesome.

Aside from the Brothers, we have Meier Link, a powerful vampire who kidnaps the daughter of a noble family. What's wonderful about him is his character is fleshed out wonderfully, and isn't a one dimensional villain.

WARNING: "The Kiddnapping" spoilers below
In fact, he isn't a villain at all. He is constantly fighting his ugly nature, and is deeply in love with the girl he kidnaps. In fact, the girl loves him too. My favorite scenes in this film are those between the lovers. They have a clean love here which is entirely pure, and I love them for it. Imagine the purest love from any Disney movie and you'll have some idea what I'm talking about. (Except this is much greater). This is where the film truly shines.

The real villain of the film is so very vile, I have to love it...but I don't feel like typing spoilers on that.

Aside from the characters, the film is BEAUTIFUL to behold. This here is some of the best animation I've EVER seen.

The musical score does everything it should, adding to chills and thrills whenever needed.

The only thing that isn't perfect in this movie (for me at least, as I realize that there are some things that might not go as well with other people...it's just that this film gave me exactly what I wanted to see when, so, like The Name of the Rose before it, it rises to the top of my personal favorite films ever. Others, I'm sure, will find it merely awesome or not even that, so…but now I'm off topic), is the dialogue, which (in certain scenes as I've mentioned earlier), is either really intentionally funny, touching, or bland anime talk. The coolness of some of the dialogue and the drabness kind of level each other out, so I really didn't feel one way or the other in the end. It doesn't really matter, because my feelings for the rest of the film are so great that I love it no matter what.

All in all, a ***** out of *****. (The highest level of films reserved only for the absolute classics and my very personal favorites.)

Well, you sold me, Beale the ripper. I placed a hold at the local library for it, I'm 4th on the list. I'll post in your thread again after I've seen it. Great review!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Thanks! I really hope you enjoy it.

Incidentally, that's a mighty wicked avatar you've got there. I'm considering getting a new one myself...

Somebody made it for somebody else at another forum, so I asked them to size it for me to use here. I love Amelie, so I just had to have it.

You're too good to me Slay. Thanks!

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Oh. cool! You liked it?
Yeah! It has the whole dark gothic thing going on...I dunno. It just screams out that I should be using it. It seems very...me. Anyway, thanks!

Great review Beale. I saw this movie a year or two ago and loved it. It got me in to seeing other Japanese animation such as Princess Mononoke, and Akira and I just love it. I agree with you where it falls flat is some of the dialogue, and I don't think it has to do with the actual words so much as the bad voice acting which is common when these movies get dubbed over in American. I think that's what makes Miyazaki's films stand out is the talent involved in the dubbing process. I wish I could find the original Vampire Hunter D because I saw that late at night one time and I loved it, but haven't been able to locate it since.

Put me in your pocket...
This is one of those movies I had heard it was good, but other that I hadn't heard about the storyline or how good the artwork and animation were. I LOVED this movie. The artwork and characterizations are cool...and the story is interesting. It's the type of movie that makes you feel different emotions throughout.

Great review Beale. I'm glad you made this thread.
By the way....I've also seen the first Vampire D movie. It isn't as good as Bloodlust...animation wise, art work wise or story wise.

Bri...here's a couple of images of The vampire hunter D and the vampire Meier Link if you're interested. They're both very cool characters.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	d08.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	2505   Click image for larger version

Name:	meier05.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	2506   Click image for larger version

Name:	meier06.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	2507  

am i the only one who thought the first vampire hunter d was an OKAY movie and this one was and obnoxious and totally unnecesary attempt at turning it into a franchise.

i agree with beale that a major weak spot of the movie is the dialogue ["let us go to the planet of the eternal night"?! groan.] but i really dont see where this movie had a better story/plot than the original ["let us go to the planet of the eternal night IN MY MEDIEVAL CASTLE/ROCKETSHIP?!!" ........ !!!!!!!!] making matters a bit less easy, this movie was a japanese production that was originally casted and acted in english [so no, project mayhem, it's not a dub, that lame dialogue is the original form as it was intended].

anyway, the original d was a b-level fantasy with appropriately lame story, an interesting and unexpected aesthetic twist [the hand] and decent [for the time] animation. this thing is a b-level fantasy aiming to start a franchise, shoddilly plotted, unoriginal [just go watch ninja scroll again], and pretty mediocre [for the time] animation. i'll give it 1 out of 4, but that's just me going easy on it out of a weakness for anime.

i'll even take fist of the north star over this, at least that one had psychadelic head popping action.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by linespalsy
am i the only one who thought the first vampire hunter d was an OKAY movie and this one was and obnoxious and totally unnecesary attempt at turning it into a franchise.
Ouch...I guess we disagree on this one. Since I had seen 'Bloodlust' first, it never entered my mind that there was attempt to make it into a franchise. I don't know....can you really fault them if they did? Look at all of the movies that sprouted out from series like Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, CardCaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon...let alone all of those Dragonball Z movies. Were they all really neccesary? They're certainally not 'A' movie material like Spirited Away...but they're all enjoyable and entertaining for they're targeted groups.

You're probably right about the dialogue, it's been awhile since I've seen it. But, that's not what I remember...I remember the mood set, the artwork (I liked it much better than the first)....and yes, I liked the story.

I haven't seen Ninja Scroll yet. I need to put that on my to-see list.

This is one case in which I feel completely comfortable asking "Did we see the same movie?"

I'll have to respectively disagree with you. Completely.

i agree with beale that a major weak spot of the movie is the dialogue ["let us go to the planet of the eternal night"?! groan.] but i really dont see where this movie had a better story/plot than the original ["let us go to the planet of the eternal night IN MY MEDIEVAL CASTLE/ROCKETSHIP?!!" ........ !!!!!!!!] making matters a bit less easy, this movie was a japanese production that was originally casted and acted in english [so no, project mayhem, it's not a dub, that lame dialogue is the original form as it was intended].
First of all, you treat this as if it was a major plot development in the story. It isn't. It, at most, is a plot device. If your biggest complaint is with this, I don't see that there should be much of a problem. Secondly, this movie is set in 12090. What's so implausible about vampires having a rocket ship? (The only problem I can see with this is that they don't explain the journey very well, but this can, again, be seen at worst as a plot hole. There is nothing wrong with the presentation of this very minor detail, other than the fact that it isn't fleshed out...but that may be because it's minor.) Some of the strength of this movie comes from the awesome set design. The fantasy world D lives in is something of a futuristic gothic nightmare. The ship fits perfectly into this. As for the dialogue, there were no truly terrible bits (other than maybe the vampire who is fabled for her cruelty saying, in the hopes of breaking D's spirit, "You should be ashamed!"). Some was quite funny and heartwarming. As crude as the dialogue itself is at times, this too is a minor problem. Why? Because the words spoken are only a fraction of the way the characters speak. As I'm sure that last bit was somewhat jumbled, I'll rephrase. In this case, what is spoken isn't nearly as important as what is being said. I'm sure you could attack the love scenes as corny, but the way the voice actors speak, or, to be more specific, their tone, warms my heart. The all the major characters sound just as they should. They speak perfectly, regardless of whether their lines are artful or not. The combination of tone and animation give the film all that it needs to convey themes.

anyway, the original d was a b-level fantasy with appropriately lame story, an interesting and unexpected aesthetic twist [the hand] and decent [for the time] animation.
I haven't heard ANYTHING that says the first film is superior, but that isn't the point. I haven't seen the film, so I shouldn't chime in...

this thing is a b-level fantasy aiming to start a franchise, shoddilly plotted, unoriginal [just go watch ninja scroll again], and pretty mediocre [for the time] animation.
I didn't seem that they were aiming for a franchise at all. They were trying to tell a story. In any event, what would be wrong with trying to start a franchise? It's very obvious that this film wasn't a direct to video cash-in movie. It would be ludicrous to say it was. James Bond is a franchise, and several of the films are great action films. Spider-man, Batman and Superman are, I guess by your definition, franchise films, but they too are quite enjoyable.

As for the unoriginal factor, I sort of see where you are coming from. There's nothing new with the plot elements of vampires, monster-mercenaries, half-breed's fighting to decide what they truly are, haunted houses, cross-racial love stories, competing bounty hunters, chase movies, who-will-die-next slasher framework and gothic horror. What is different, and quite original, is that the film includes all of these otherwise used up concepts. By doing so, it provides just about something for everyone. Also, there are very few original ideas nowadays. To pick on this film for being unoriginal is grasping at straws somewhat. It's all in the presentation. In this case, (aside from being original), the movie offers an interesting slant on the events taking place.

How could you say such things about the animation? Sure, it isn't ground breaking, but this is one well animated movie! I may not be the biggest anime guy around, but I have seen my share of animated movies, and this is good animation here. Quality is something that is eternal in this world. This goes for movies as well. Something that's animated well now or something that's animated well 60 years ago...both are animated well. The point is the quality. This movie looks beautifully gothic. (As I say, it is revolutionary, and it isn't the best animation ever, but to say it's mediocre is almost silly.)

i'll give it 1 out of 4, but that's just me going easy on it out of a weakness for anime.
WHAT?!?!?!? I honestly can't see how this film could be rated so low. (And you claim to lenient!) This is, at the VERY least, classic popcorn entertainment, and very successful popcorn entertainment at that. I'm amazed that anyone could rate a film so low.

(I'm really sorry if any of that came off as mean...sometimes I get defensive when a favorite film of mine is picked on)

I haven't seen Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust Beale, and now after reading your review.....I am definitely going to. Looking at the stills, I get chills . I love japanimation alot and VHD:B looks outstanding!!
Thanks again for that "great" review Beale. You have added one more film to my MUST SEE list!

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe[B
r[/b]]What's so implausible about vampires having a rocket ship?

NO OFFENSE, THAT JUST STRUCK ME AS ABSURDLY FUNNY.

Hi
I always thought the original Vampire D was a classic to be placed alonside Ghost in the Shell, Akira and Ninja Scroll. I thought it was good enough to be put alongside them considering the time and its possible influence...

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan

NO OFFENSE, THAT JUST STRUCK ME AS ABSURDLY FUNNY.
Out of context, that is pretty hilarious. (He says, laughing at himself)