Romper Stomper

Tools    

I have just ordered this dvd, due to so many of my friends telling me it's AMAZING. can anyone give me some opinions?

I am having a nervous breakdance
It's AMAZING!

Seriously, I owe it. The first time I saw it several years ago I was blown away by its directness and boldness. Then I bought it about a year ago and even though I wasn't as impressed, mostly because some poor acting, I still think it is very watchable and an important addition to film history. I like the fact that it is about racist skinheads who are depicted as human beings with feelings even though they are more or less nazis.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

can't wait for the DVD now

I was left slightly disappointed, with the fact this got hyped as, as good as American History X, I understand the similarities people liked to announce, but, these films are totally different, I just went into the film with the wrong frame of mind.

still, a good film.

Originally Posted by Philmster
I was left slightly disappointed, with the fact this got hyped as, as good as American History X, I understand the similarities people liked to announce, but, these films are totally different, I just went into the film with the wrong frame of mind.

still, a good film.
I have never really compared the two films to each other but I think American History X is a bit overrated in general (since it is by many considered to be a modern classic). I think Romper Stomper is far more controversial and daring than "History X". I have always felt that the Edvard Norton character was easily converted. When he stopped being a nazi he automatically stopped being a walking disaster as if nazism was what caused evil in men and not the other way around. A bit simplistic.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I have never really compared the two films to each other but I think American History X is a bit overrated in general (since it is by many considered to be a modern classic). I think Romper Stomper is far more controversial and daring than "History X". I have always felt that the Edvard Norton character was easily converted. When he stopped being a nazi he automatically stopped being a walking disaster as if nazism was what caused evil in men and not the other way around. A bit simplistic.
I agree with what you said, but I found more enjoyment in "History X". Romper Stomper is a lot more bold and daring than History X, these films get compared for their depictions of nazis, but shouldn't really be compared.

I agree with what you said, but I found more enjoyment in "History X". Romper Stomper is a lot more bold and daring than History X, these films get compared for their depictions of nazis, but shouldn't really be compared.
I agree. American History X is more of the entertaining nature while I can understand why some people might find Romper Stomper even offensive.

Romper Stomper is a lot more in your face than History X, I just feel that the characters in X were played better.

Though, I do think that Crowe's character is still one of his better ones.

Romper Stomper is a lot more in your face than History X, I just feel that the characters in X were played better.

Though, I do think that Crowe's character is still one of his better ones.
I agree with everything in this post.

I'm just telling it as it is

I also thought that Pollack was great as Davey, just a shame how is life turned out...