Street Dancing

Tools    

Hello. I am an old fella who mis-spent some of his youth in cinemas in the British midlands. I turn to this forum in the hope that someone can help me with answers to two questions that have been bugging me for months.
Long ago I saw a film in colour in which a crowd of children (dressed about 1900, I think) and adults, all danced with feet together down a wide street towards the camera, following a leader. All to music. It could be from The Music Man but I don't think it is.
My second question is also about jumping or leaping forwards with the feet together. A tallish slim male in a cream linen suit (I don't think it is Astaire, Kelly, O'Connor or Bolger) dancing or leaping, again with feet together, left to right along a sidewalk to music, in colour, among pedestrians with children. He stops to bang two trash bin lids together, imitating cymbals. Possibly the 1940s. The sequence lasts for only a minute or two. He is very happy about something, probably having been smiled at by a girl.
Thanks in advance.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hello. I am an old fella who mis-spent some of his youth in cinemas in the British midlands. I turn to this forum in the hope that someone can help me with answers to two questions that have been bugging me for months.
Long ago I saw a film in colour in which a crowd of children (dressed about 1900, I think) and adults, all danced with feet together down a wide street towards the camera, following a leader. All to music. It could be from The Music Man but I don't think it is.

My second question is also about jumping or leaping forwards with the feet together. A tallish slim male in a cream linen suit (I don't think it is Astaire, Kelly, O'Connor or Bolger) dancing or leaping, again with feet together, left to right along a sidewalk to music, in colour, among pedestrians with children. He stops to bang two trash bin lids together, imitating cymbals. Possibly the 1940s. The sequence lasts for only a minute or two. He is very happy about something, probably having been smiled at by a girl.
Thanks in advance.

The second movie might be It's Always Fair Weather (1955). There's a dance scene with Michael Kidd, Gene Kelly and Dan Dailey dancing with garbage can lids.

The part with the garbage can lids starts at about 1:50 in this video:

The first one sounds like the "Every Sperm is Sacred" number from the Monty Python movie "The Meaning of Life".

Could also be "Newsies" or "Olver!"

Ah ha! I know the second one. It is the song "Take me to Broadway!" danced by Bobby Van in the musical film "Small Town Girl" (1953). That dance inspired a lot of music videos, such as the one for Goldfrapp's song "Happiness".

Thank you so much, KEVP, that is the one!
A fine Christmas present.