Question about the plot to The Fugitive (1993)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I watched the movie again, after not seeing it for a long time, and there is part of the plot I don't get, which I will have to spoil.

SPOILER

Richard Kimble's friend, Nichols, is the murderer all along. Kimble doesn't know this and he is on the run, framed for the crime. After escaping jail, he comes back to the city where he lived, and goes to see Nichols for help, asking him for money. Nichols, pretending to be his friend still, gives him some money to help him out and Kimble tells Nichols that he will call him later on, and takes off.

Now what I don't get is, why didn't Nichols just go to the police and turn Kimble in, saying he saw him earlier that day? He could pretend like he believes his friend is now a murderer and needs to face justice, and act like he wants to turn him in.

Later on that day even, Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones), questions him and he says that Kimble came to see him this morning, but he believes Kimble to be innocent and will not turn him in. Why would he say that?

Nichols is the real killer, and Kimble has been framed for the crime, so why wouldn't Nichols therefore, want to get Kimble put back behind bars to prevent him from investigating further and finding out the truth? Why does he help Kimble by not turning him in and thus give Kimble the advantage?

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The real story is after The Fugitive when the transit cop relocates and leaves his past behind, becoming a Janitor for Sacred Hart Hospital, tormenting young doctor John Dorian.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The real story is after The Fugitive when the transit cop relocates and leaves his past behind, becoming a Janitor for Sacred Hart Hospital, tormenting young doctor John Dorian.
Hahaha! I remember that Ep of scrubs!

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Dear iron pony,

I’m dissapointed that you haven’t answered my simple question. It should be simple for you to answer as you have recently watched the movie. It’s not as simple for me as it would require me to the watch the film again; hence the question. Many posters including myself answer your numerous queries. It would be polite for you to return this courtesy when a question is posed to you.

In anticipation of your reply and based solely on my memory. Unless Nichols had planned on meeting Kimble at a specific location and time which they had agreed to prior - I don’t see how him telling the police who were already actively looking for him would make much of a difference.

Regards,

Larry

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Dear iron pony,

I’m dissapointed that you haven’t answered my simple question. It should be simple for you to answer as you have recently watched the movie. It’s not as simple for me as it would require me to the watch the film again; hence the question. Many posters including myself answer your numerous queries. It would be polite for you to return this courtesy when a question is posed to you.

In anticipation of your reply and based solely on my memory. Unless Nichols had planned on meeting Kimble at a specific location and time which they had agreed to prior - I don’t see how him telling the police who were already actively looking for him would make much of a difference.

Regards,

Larry
Sorry I haven't been on here in a while and just caught your response now, sorry. Yeah basically what I mean is, Nichols would tell the police that Kimble came to him for help, and that he felt that he should report it.

He would tell the police that Kimble told him he was going to call him. So the police would then ask Nichols if he was willing to help catch Kimble from that point and Nichols would say sure, I'll help.

That's what I mean.