Relaxing Voices

Tools    

What entertainers in the film industry you find have voices that are relaxing and pleasant to listen to? Maybe a bit of an odd idea for a topic but it's occured to me when a particular celebrity speaks and I find myself getting in a bit of a calmed mood listening to them.

One who comes to mind right away is Jack Palance (R.I.P.) with his gruff yet very soft whispery voice. Just listen to him in these videos:

You can't win an argument just by being right!
For me, Yul Brynner is one.

What a great topic. I've heard it said that in 'old Hollywood' every actor and actress had a distinct voiceprint. Not as true today.

First one who comes to mind to me is Morgan Freeman. I remember his voice over at the end of War of the Worlds, explaning that the invading aliens were killed by the smallest of creatures, which the Lord in infinite wisdom put on earth.

It s a voice that says to me; At the end of even the most trying of days- all is right with the world.

And Gregory Peck as Atticus.

Good picks, forgot about John Hurt (R.I.P.) and Morgan Freeman.

I feel pretty much any British, Irish, Scottish or Australian accent to be pleasant to listen to by default, I find their accents soothing to listen to. Naturally anyone in the industry with these accents I always enjoy hearing speak and always find myself in a calmed state when I listen to them.

John Hurt (R.I.P.)

Oddly enough the first person I thought of was Michael Gambon, who always gets me drousy when I see Maigret. Of course he and John Hurt were the narrators in The Storyteller and its Greek Myths spinoff.

Two Words: BOB ROSS. Was ASMR 30 years before ASMR was a thing.

"I think we need a happy little tree here... There we go..."

I like Ewan MacGregors tones, like nice dash of soda in your Sean Connery single malt

What a great topic. I've heard it said that in 'old Hollywood' every actor and actress had a distinct voiceprint. Not as true today.
Is that the actual voiceprint or the fake accent they trained in back in the golden years of Hollywoof, Lady? I love that. (Pan Atlantic a la Cary Grant. It's fake and I dont care one little bit!)

Oh absolutely Gregory Peck. I was thinking of someone else from old hollywood recently - it'll come back to me. eta: Richard Burton is another, and who could leave out Sean Connery! Sydney Poitier.

Gahh finally, James Mason was the voice I forgot.

Speaking of Irish, Brendan Gleeson.

And yes to Morgan Freeman.

Russell Crowe with his Maximus voice. Anthony Hopkins. Laurence Fishburne.

Surely Neeson more than Gleeson.
No. Sorry. I fell inlove with Neeson's accent when I first saw him but I dont recall if his voice gave me a tingle. Yul Brynner sure did and I can still hear him.

We've not mentioned actresses yet I don't think. Cate Blanchett has quite a relaxing voice.

Oh – another good one is Alan Badel. Apparently someone described his voice as "the sound of tears" .

This might just do nobody any good.
We've not mentioned actresses yet I don't think. Cate Blanchett has quite a relaxing voice.

Or, y’know, Galadriel.

Oh – another good one is Alan Badel. Apparently someone described his voice as "the sound of tears" .
I dont know who he is but that's beautiful.

LOL Saunch . When we were watching Thor I said to Mr D - she sounds like Cate Blanchett when she appeared first time. It was Cate Blanchett, sounding like Galadriel.

I want to shake her and scream HURRY UP!!!

This might just do nobody any good.
Hmm, Elrond, Thranduil and Galadriel have go on to play Marvel villains. Tauriel a heroine.

Oh, and Arwen was in the Ed Norton Hulk.

We need to turn it around. I nominate Jeff Goldblum for an Elf.

Good point Dani8 - the old Hollywood icons had their image carefully prepared and nurtured, but the image was so complete, I didn t think to mind - remember "you dirty rat" (James Cagney) and "Happy birthday mr president"(Marilyn Monroe) impressions? I don t even think there are comics who do many impressions these days, and I don t always find today's actors and actresses being as distinct these days.

But as far as actresses , I find Kristen Scott Thomas ' voice soothing, I haven t yet seen her in the Churchill movie, but she was pleasantly calming in Random Hearts.

And I agree that Brit, Scot and Irish accents have
a becalming charm. (Thomas a Brit, I know)

Btw- and this is NOT a political discussion- I always thought Obama had a calming, moderate way of speaking.