Cristian's Movie Reviews - Films through the Magnifying Glass

→ in
Tools    

Wolrd Wide Society Reviews
Hello everyone I hope all of you are having a great day, I decided to open a new thread in which I could discuss films that have recently been released or any film I am interested in.
Everyone is encouraged to leave their opinions on the film I am reviewing, (I love having discussions about films, so let's have them!)
If you enjoy my opinions on these films, join me on my YouTube channel by searching for World Wide Society , I discuss all types of films and film news and some gaming if that's your cup of tea!
Any who, ENJOY!

Wolrd Wide Society Reviews
Doctor Strange Review
Recently I watched the newest installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Before I discuss it, I just want to state that after casually watching Captain America: Civil War, I became a fan and went back and watched all the previous films (They are GOOD!). Enough of that, lets discuss DOCTOR STRANGE.
Doctor Strange is Directed by Scott Derrickson (Worked on films such as Sinister, Deliver Us From Evil, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, etc.) and stars an incredible cast of Actors/Actresses including Benedict Cumberbatch, Rachel McAdams, Mads Mikkelsen, Tilda Swinton, and Chiwetel Ejiofor among others.
The film is about a neurosurgeon named Steven Strange who after a devastating car crash, looses the ability to properly control his hands (which he needs, you know... brain surgery stuff?). After failed attempts to cure his problem with science, he learns of a place in which someone referred to as the Ancient One can heal him through the power of spirituality. But, what he actually learns is the true power he holds within himself.
I really enjoyed this film, Benedict Cumberbatch was the perfect pick for the Doctor Strange role. Not only does he resemble his comic counterpart but, he is also such an incredible actor and in this role, he doesn't fail us! To me the way he starts out as a cocky know it all who honestly I hated, to this man who learns about humility and the true power he has and how he needs to use it for good, reminded me a lot of Iron Man. To be honest, I truly feel like Cumberbatch will BE Doctor Strange(If that makes any sense).
Moving on, Rachel McAdams as a supporting role and love interest of Strange, was very well done and to be honest, she is one of the best supporting love interests marvel has had. Finally after a long time we see and interesting female character who serves to be more than just comic relief and a story progression. I genuinely cared about her character and she brought some really dramatic moments towards the beginning of the film that just had me in Awe.
The second supporting character of Mordo played by Chiwetel Ejiofor (Good luck pronouncing his name) was very well acted and may I say mysterious at times? I am glad that they keep adding in so many iconic Actors and actresses into this Universe. His character itself was however, a bit underused as were many others and I think its due to saving them for a possible future installment. Mordo does show lots of promise though and I cant wait to see more of him and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
The Ancient One, (OH BOY CONTROVERSY!!) played by Tilda Swinton was interesting enough, most of the interesting scenes with her character are towards the end though, and honestly besides some very funny lines and some cool scenes, Nothing stood out about her character to me.
We come to arguably the second most important role in a super hero film, the VILLAIN. Marvel once again failed to make a complex villain. What is most interesting is the fact that Mads Mikkelsen did such a fantastic job playing the main villain Kaecilius, However, the character writing was so generic and he didn't feel like a threat. Not only that, but it felt like he didn't even have much screen time. I am not going to lie though, the scenes where he does fight are Bad Ass!
Filming wise, the CGI is the best I have seen this year, that combined with the great fight choreography is just heaven to the eyes! I am not kidding when I say that this film was inception on steroids (maybe even on MAGIC!). Going through dimensions and buildings collapsing into each other was something I never thought I needed to see, but trust me, YOU NEED TO SEE IT!
Final thoughts, I really like this film. Its a great addition to the universe and its one of the best Marvel films that have been released. It has a good blend of comedy and seriousness and its one of the best origin stories made including the DC universe IMO. It does have the usual Marvel flaws mostly in the villain and the final fight sequence wasn't really even a fight (It's different I guess...) Overall, Great film go watch it

What are your thoughts? Post some replies, lets have a conversation!

Good day !