The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly vs El Topo

Tools    

I'm reading Roger Ebert's 2003 four star review. He refers to it as a great movie repeatedly while pointing out so many absurdities that it could be mistaken for a negative review if he had not done so. Characters have no spacial awareness beyond the frame of the shot, and thus are surprised in ludicrously comical ways. This is praised as making fun of Hollywood tropes. It's pointed out that Leone borrows heavily and in obvious ways, but this somehow isn't seen as a deterrent. Glaringly obvious budget constraints are treated in the same manner. When I watched it these things made me cringe. But Ebert doesn't mind them at all. With no merits to speak of it's somehow "art." The cinematography is praised because of it's wide shot alone, and it is somehow infinitely important and pure. Because I guess not just anyone could have used that specific camera. Oh no... it took a genius to decide on that lens over others. They hired extras on the spot. And interestingly enough that was a vibe I got but couldn't finger. Now the horrible acting makes that much more sense. Not that acting has anything to do with a movie being great (sarcasm).

Ebert says, "But art it is, summoned out of the imagination of Leone and painted on the wide screen so vividly that we forget what marginal productions these films were--that Clint Eastwood was a Hollywood reject, that budgetary restraints ($200,000 for "Fistful") caused gaping continuity errors, that there wasn't a lot of dialogue because it was easier to shoot silent and fill the soundtrack with music and effects." Is it ironic that the entire time I was watching this movie I couldn't figure out why the production quality was so bad, because I assumed it was a big budget movie?

All I can gather in any terms of greatness of this movie is that for people who enjoy this type of movie it is wonderfully charming. There's nothing masterful about it, but it's sincere in it's low-budget way and pokes fun at Hollywood. I don't know how anyone could call it art. But I can understand why some people find it entertaining, maybe even love it.

Ebert rarely talks about technical aspects in an accurate way. He asserts words like "great" and "art" with no seeming need to define his terms or explain why. Content matters most, and if he likes a movie then it's good. He is the lay person's ideal critic. The critic for the masses. For people like my Dad who think they're movie buffs and will pick a movie off the shelf looking for Ebert's seal of approval and happily enjoy Tom Cruise's acting and Steven Spielberg's directing in blissful ignorance. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I find Ebert's comment on El Topo particularly fascinating, "The film exists as an unforgettable experience, but not as a comprehensible one." I also find it interesting when he refers to his law, "If you have to ask what something symbolizes, it doesn't." And the clause he adds, "Or it stands for itself." It reminds me of when I show my art and poetry to my parents and they can't even begin to understand it. They ask me what it means with puzzled expressions. And while there are many deep layers that I intentionally put there, there are also elements that just came together naturally which I don't even pretend to understand myself. Ebert does not know what art is. Someone like him can not understand it. But he is an intelligent person, and he understands a lot about film. When people see a movie like this they come up with all kinds of wild theories about it's meaning and significance, most of which are fabricated by the imagination of the viewer. But often I think it is what happens when people pretend to understand something they don't understand. They can see there are deep layers of meaning, and they can identify hints of that meaning, but then they stretch that in an ignorant pretending.

Many people probably dislike El Topo because it's so graphic and shocking. Many people probably love it for the same reason. And because they dislike it so strongly or like it so strongly they naturally pretend to understand why it's a terrible movie or a great movie. That's just the nature of us, and those of us who have not realised this within ourselves and changed and grown into maturity. Then there are those who overestimate their own ability to understand what they perceive, like Ebert. They don't understand something so complex, but insist that they do and that there is nothing more to it then what they think they understand. If they don't understand a symbol, well it must be the fault of the one presenting that symbol. They must not have meant anything by it, but merely lofted it up arbitrarily for it's own sake. Ebert's inability to understand El Topo is identical to his inability to understand Jodoworsky himself. His inability to even converse with the man is rooted in his inability to listen. El Topo is a movie about Jodoworsky starring himself and his own son. It has so much of his life and his soul poured into it, and everyone pretends to understand him like vultures circling and waiting for his death.

How can you compare the low-budget work of amateur Hollywood rejects to that of an artistic genius? In Ebert's review of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly he understood everything about it. In his review of El Topo he understood nothing.

All great artists are misunderstood.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/gr...-the-ugly-1968
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/gr...e-el-topo-1970

Welcome to the human race...
These are my reviews for GBU or El Topo. Obviously, I give the edge to [i}GBU[/i], though I feel that I should mention that GBU grew on me after a bad first impression (and I already liked the first two Dollars films so it was surprising) whereas my initial appreciation for Topo wore off pretty severely once I actually got around to re-watching it.

Hard to compare these two movies because I don't even think they're in the same ballpark. I don't like either movie as much as I did the first time I saw them, and that's with not liking El Topo the first time. I don't think Topo is shocking or graphic either, I find it too silly.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is art. Just because something attempts to be more meaningful doesn't mean it is and that it is successful in being film art. I also like El Topo.

Don't know why you've launched an attack on Ebert who I've always classed more as a reviewer than critics. Go and read some Andre Brazin or some Jonathan Rosenbaum or something.

I've not seen El Topo and I hated TGTBATU but I gotta say you've got one seriously narrow view of what art is or can be. It's fine to prefer one kind of art over another, but your preference does not void the other film's status as art.

Ebert rarely talks about technical aspects in an accurate way. He asserts words like "great" and "art" with no seeming need to define his terms or explain why.
How would you define them?

Content matters most, and if he likes a movie then it's good. He is the lay person's ideal critic. The critic for the masses. For people like my Dad who think they're movie buffs and will pick a movie off the shelf looking for Ebert's seal of approval and happily enjoy Tom Cruise's acting and Steven Spielberg's directing in blissful ignorance. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Someone who enjoy Spielbergs directing can't be a movie buff and is ignorant?

Ebert does not know what art is. Someone like him can not understand it.
Ahh but 30 year old Zotis, who learned what hard work is three years ago- he, he can grasp art.

Ebert's inability to understand El Topo is identical to his inability to understand Jodoworsky himself. His inability to even converse with the man is rooted in his inability to listen. El Topo is a movie about Jodoworsky starring himself and his own son. It has so much of his life and his soul poured into it, and everyone pretends to understand him like vultures circling and waiting for his death.
You must be so proud to be one of the few to understand Jodoworsky. I'm sure he'd love to grab a drink with you.

How can you compare the low-budget work of amateur Hollywood rejects to that of an artistic genius? In Ebert's review of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly he understood everything about it. In his review of El Topo he understood nothing.

All great artists are misunderstood.
You put a lot of emphasis that Ebert can't judge art, a man like him could never understand it. But you- you can understand this artistic genius, based on your three years of hard work. So I'll ask where do you find your qualifications in judging art? Do you have any sort of formal education relating to film, art, ect? If so where? How high in your class did you graduate?

Off what basis do you grant yourself these credentials?

I have half typed a response to this thread like three times already. I really don't know how to respond but to say we all have varying opinions and tastes. We are all passionate about certain films and sometimes defend those passions very vigorously. I always have a hard time when people move from opinion to fact when talking about art though. I feel like that is where most of your posts are now Zotis. To say you didn't like GBU at all isuch different than saying it is objectively bad, especially when it is so loved by so many film people. I just don't get it.

I have half typed a response to this thread like three times already. I really don't know how to respond but to say we all habe varying opinions and tastes. We are all passionate about certain films and sometimes defend those passions very vigorously. I always have a hard time when people move from opinion to fact when talking about art though. I feel like that is where most of your posts are now Zotis. To say you didn't like GBU at all isuch different than saying it is objectively bad, especially when it is so loved by so many film people. I just don't get it.
I habe varying opinions and tastes, too.

Ebert doesn't say extras were hired on the spot, but that they were hired from the local area. Leone was very particular about his extras. Ebert also doesn't claim Leone was a genius because he used wide shots. Anybody who knows Leone's work would know it's his use of extreme close-ups that is his distinguishing style. And of course anybody can use any camera and lens, but it's what you do with those cameras and lens that matter. While Fistful of Dollars did have a modest budget, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly had a much larger budget, large enough for Leone to complete his vision. Ebert's assertion that the dialogue of Fistful was kept to a minimum because it was easier is wrong. The original script had far more dialogue, which Eastwood cut because it ruined too much of the mystery of the character.

You don't explain how the production values of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly were poor. Care to elaborate? And I'd be curious for you to compare them to El Topo's. In fact I'd be curious how all the things you find objectionable in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly cannot be seen in El Topo to a far, far greater degree. Maybe if you defined what you meant by "art" and "genius ..."

If you're actually curious about those Leone films, you should find a better source than a 500-word retrospective by Roger Ebert. There's plenty of good sources out there, starting with the commentary tracks by Sir Christopher Frayling on the movies themselves and going from there.

I appreciate that response Kaplan. I don't think I will define my concept of art and genius. I think art is something only other artists really get and people like Ebert aren't really wrong, but they have a more normal concept of art and don't really get what art truly is.

It does take a lot of time and energy to write lengthy detailed critiques and to elaborate. I might do so later, and investigate these films deeper and the whole topic deeper. But at the moment I'm a little exhausted and I don't plan to elaborate further on my opening post or debate the issue in this thread. It's more like, here you go guys, this is my current perspective, do what you will.

El Topo is pretty meh and I like Jodorowsky. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is fantastic.

Welcome to the human race...
I can't believe all this is coming from the guy who was complaining about my reviews earlier because I apparently presented my opinions like they were incontrovertible facts.

Zotis, if you're willing to listen I'll tell you why you so strongly dislike TGTBTU....The reason you hate it has nothing to do with the: acting, musical score or the directing (as you claimed to hate). You hate the film because it celebrates machismo, you dislike like and so you find faults with every aspect of the film.

You said you regard Solider Blue as one of the great westerns, but it suffers from all the same faults you attribute to TGTBTU. Only with Solider Blue you like the story premise, so you overlook the flaws of that movie.

It would be more direct for you to just say that you don't like TGTBTU because you don't care for the subject matter.

I had so much fun bashing Roger Ebert and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I'm not going to apologise for it either. I stand behind everything I've said here.