Set design in David Fincher's movies

Tools    

Zan
Hello,

I am writing an essay about David Fincher and set design in his movies. How he uses the set in order to convey something and how much he is involved in designing the set himself.

Can someone point me to any article, interview, page, that would provide some interesting information?

Thanks!

Cheers

Hello,

I am writing an essay about David Fincher and set design in his movies. How he uses the set in order to convey something and how much he is involved in designing the set himself.

Can someone point me to any article, interview, page, that would provide some interesting information?

Thanks!

Cheers
That sounds very interesting – I'm not that familiar with David Fincher's work (Alien 3, Seven and Fight Club only) but I do remember one thing that may be of interest.

Apparently when Paul McGann went to meet Fincher for Alien 3 he had what McGann describes as a "kind of kabuki theatre" model of the set (this may be during his conversation with Charles Dance for Living the Life). Maybe at this stage the plan was still to do the "wooden planet" full of monks rather than convicts? Or perhaps it had already gone to that stage. Either way when I watched the commentary a few months back the sets did strike me as impressive. What was funny was that Paul McGann had been talking to this young man for a few minutes not realizing that it was Fincher himself – and Fincher guessed.