Remember Casper?

Tools    

Why do you think they named the character Casper (the ghost)?
I was arguing with my brother for an hour. I was arguing that the name "casper" was chosen by the director because it has something to do with "whisper". Whisper is an onomatopoeia. Whisper has some kind of relation with ghosts, such as secret, invisible, wind?, fly?

(It's really hard to explain.)

Casper; I think this name is an onomatopoeia with ghosts although Casper is a name. It creates the "ghost" atmosphere because it rhymes with whisper. The name Casper has a "soft" pronounciation - does not "break" like "broke". Casper sounds "ghosty"

But my brother thinks that this is wrong because the name casper should be a friendly name for kids' movie. This movie isn't quiet at all but funny and lively.

The character himself isn't a horror character but a friendly character who wants friends so he shouldn't be whispering at all.

Do I make any sense at all? Well I think my brother is wrong and I'm asking you to prove him that he's wrong.

I'm interested in English and films, so I'm asking this.

Please reply.

(Jesus)This sounds DUMB

Casper, the Friendly Ghost (1952-1989)

Casper, a young ghost who tries to make friends and does not want to scare people, was depicted in 55 animated shorts, dozens of comic books, a television show and a 1995 movie produced by Steven Spielberg.

The character's origin was disputed by Seymour Reit and Casper's illustrator, Joe Oriolo, but according to Reit, he developed the idea for a friendly ghost in a short story in 1940, and Oriolo then drew up a sketch featuring Casper in various poses. There has never been any documented mentioning by either man about any significance to the name Casper.

In other words, Casper's older than the movie's director. The director didn't choose anything about the name, because he was born ten years AFTER Casper was created.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

thanks for reply but that wasn't what I was looking for

Originally posted by JK Bonzo
thanks for reply but that wasn't what I was looking for
I know what you're looking for, the origin of the name Casper. You mentioned that you thought the director chose it because...

But the director didn't choose it, it's name is older than the director. The original creator didn't say why he chose the name. Asked and answered as far as I can tell.