Sicario

Tools    

When Josh's character tells Emily's character that she went down the wrong tunnel and saw things she shouldn't have seen, what was it that she was that he was speaking about ?

When Josh's character tells Emily's character that she went down the wrong tunnel and saw things she shouldn't have seen, what was it that she was that he was speaking about ?
WARNING: "sicario" spoilers below
Basically all her suspicions about Del Toro's character were confirmed. She knew everything they were doing was illegal and he was pretty much a bounty hunter.

Basically all her suspicions about Del Toro's character were confirmed. She knew everything they were doing was illegal and he was pretty much a bounty hunter.

Thanks ! Ok, I'm a dingbat so bear with me. Why eas she so freaked out, tho ? They got the bad guy. As far as I can see, if I were her, the only part that might have been worrisome was the kids and wife died. Right ? Maybe I spaced out a bit and kissed something, but what she saw in the tunnel was only Del toro taking over the bad guys. (The cop was a bad guy running drugs, right )

Missed*

Thanks ! Ok, I'm a dingbat so bear with me. Why eas she so freaked out, tho ? They got the bad guy. As far as I can see, if I were her, the only part that might have been worrisome was the kids and wife died. Right ? Maybe I spaced out a bit and kissed something, but what she saw in the tunnel was only Del toro taking over the bad guys. (The cop was a bad guy running drugs, right )
But the only reason Del Toro wanted to eliminate him was so he can be the top dog again, hence him stealing the drugs. So your just trading in one evil for another. Make more sense?

I thought he just wanted revenge for his wife and child's death.

I thought he just wanted revenge for his wife and child's death.
WARNING: "Sicario" spoilers below
No. It wasn't just that. Obviously that was the human element to his arc, but what James Brolin's character reveals after she emerges from the tunnels is that not only do they know Del Toro's character is a hitman, but furthermore what they know/hope is that his successfully removing the top figure of the Mexican cartel will result in Colombia once again regaining control of the international drug trade. The logic being, as he explains to her, that it is better/easier to have one organization out there, even a horrible and evil one, to keep tabs on/make deals with/go to war with rather than the fractured multiple cartels. A return to the "simpler" days of the 1980s, when Bogotá controlled essentially everything.

As the scene after the bank with Victor Garber's character explains, the decision to ferret out and by extension even to assassinate the Mexicans is not coming only from Brolin's CIA Agent or even that Agency, but from the highest of elected officials, implying that this was an Executive Order from the White House. Whether that is true or not the movie doesn't explore, but that is what she is told and you can imagine the tone and intent of Brolin's mission colored by such high office in the world of this fictional film. While being done in secret and surely without much if any oversight or transparency, it is a calculated gamble of helping to topple the Mexican cartel, understanding it will mean the full return of the Colombia cartel.

That Del Toro's wife and daughter were viciously slain by the Mexican cartel makes him the right man for the job on more than one level, but while the revenge aspect is the personal and emotional motivator, in the larger scheme of things this is a business transaction.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra