Matrix Reloaded Review

→ in
Tools    

I just got home from seeing the 10:10 showing of The Matrix Reloaded, and WOW.
I went in not expecting to much, i was worried that the movie would be hyped to much and i would be disappointed. I was very pleased with the movie as a whole. The story was very in depth and had a few great twists.
The fight scenes were amazing, what you see in the previews is just the icing on the cake. There were also severl momenst to provide some comic relief, one of the moments that stands out in ym mind at the momet was during the fight scene that you see in the previews. When Neo is fighting a **** load of Mr. Smiths, during the fight when Neo hits Mr. Smith in the face with the pipe, there was a theatre wide reaction first of "ooo (ouch)", then laughter when you realize its the bad guy.
My thoughts are fleeing me as i get tired, perhaps ill dream about it tonight and write another review in the morning.

ALl in all a great movie in my humble opinion. Great cliffhanger ending, great effects, great story....

night

Hi
Thanks, I read people saying that it was horrible etc. but i guess they went in looking just for action and crap like that. I hope they have a good story..only 4 more hours til i see it

I went to the 10:00 PM sneak and all I can I say is one word...."Whoa!" It was simply amazing. Putting aside the awesome effects as seen in the trailers, there are other fight scenes that are sweet.
The story is well put as nimo has explained and the cliffhanger is great.
I don't think I need to say much for that explains it all. (Basically Nimo said it all first )

**Don't forget to stay after the credits for a real treat!!! **

Game-Revolution Movie Reviewer
Alright, it looks to me like I get the first privilage to be able to write the first negative feedback on this movie "The Matrix : Reloaded".

First off, I do believe if you are an honest die hard, matrix fan, and you became obsessed over it after the first film, you will not like its predecessor "Reloaded".

First off a new fundemental that the film "Reloaded" wanted to fringe upon, was the fact that Neo is in love with Trinity, and they wanted to make that as blatently clear in this film as they possibly could. I do not mean to ruin any of the film for those of you who have yet to see it, but I just want to try and explain some of the reasons I did not appreciate this film as much as the first Matrix.

In the beginning of the movie, after the ebakanezzer (ship morh, and neo are on) land in Zion, a GIANT party erupts from the 250,000 humans inhabiting the great underground city. People begin to dance, and in the foreground, neo and trinity decide to use this time to go off to their room and have sex....again.

While neo is off doing his thing, they show around a 15-20 minute scene that made me feel like I was watching a grind video from MTV. Great.... hot chicks grinding on eachother, wet t-shirts, partial nudity, all greats things to include into a movie. But for a movie like the Matrix, it all just did not make sense to me, and I feel it would of been better to just cut that scene into 1/3 of what it was. There is just no point to show a clip that long, and that pointless.

Another reason I did not like this movie "Reloaded", is because when the first Matrix film was released and I watched it, I just sat in my seat and was like, "holy s.hit, that was awsome". They made it perfect, an absolute perfect blend of CGI, Live Action fight scenes, plot, acting, and a good story line. But with "Reloaded" you can easily tell that 90% of everything done in this movie, was done with a green screen and CGI. By the end of the movie, you are not sure if when Neo is walking down a hallway, if the wall to his right is CGI or real. The acting was still great in "Reloaded", but one thing I absolutely DESPISED, was the stupid technical speeches given by almost everyone in the movie, and then later sumarized into simple text by Neo later on in the movie. I asked several people after the film on what they thought abou the movie they had just seen. Three fourths of the people sumarized it like this, "I dont get it....."

I could go on...and on....and on. But after all this is my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just felt that there were alot of things that could of been done, but weren't, and far too many things that were not necessary in this film.

I apologize for the length, and I will try in a later date, to make my reviews shorter.

Hi
Seems to me this will be a very mixed review movie..
I can't wait for Revolutions, I feel it will be the best and i wonder how they are going to wrap it up, I'm thinking Reloaded is for the action and Revolutions will be for the sights and story...only 2 more hours til reloaded

Tao
First off, I do believe if you are an honest die hard, matrix fan, and you became obsessed over it after the first film, you will not like its predecessor "Reloaded".
I think that is a horrible blanket statement. I love the Matrix. The movie rejuvenated my love for movies. I have read everything I could get my hands on. I have watched the movie itself no less than a hundred times. (maybe that's not a lot compared to some.) I have many many times gotten in to deep philosophical, theological and applied physics discussion on the themes and plausability of the matrix. I would consider myself someone that truly loves what this film has done for the industry as a whole and me as a avid film lover. To say that if I like "Reloaded" (which I do) makes me a dishonest, live soft, matrix hater, who thinks it's an ok movie (which is what I would be.) is wrong.

I think reloaded is a wonderful sequel that serves it's purpose. It does exactly what I wanted it to do. I think Reloaded is better than The Empire strikes back and Godfather 2 put together. Like it or not.. that's my opinion.

WHy do some people dislike Reloaded? I think's because they can't follow it. These are the same people that didn't understand the matrix until after seeing 3 times.. and then they only understood the outline.

I asked several people after the film on what they thought abou the movie they had just seen. Three fourths of the people sumarized it like this, "I dont get it....."
Uhhh... that's what everyone was saying after the first one.

I personally see how someone that is a true matrix fan could possibly not like this Reloaded. All it does is build where The Matrix left off.

You and I do agree on one thing. The sex. But I think I disagree for a different reason. I don't think there should of been a love story in the first one.

What people that should be talking about right now.. is the details of the movie. Whether the Arch is just a program put in as a fail safe. Whether or not neo is just another one.. and he must be the ultimate one. If the reason Neo has power's in the real world is because of the piece of smith that got merged in to him when Neo "destroyed" him. And why does Smith want out of the matrix if he is a machine?...

there's a ton of things that we could be talking about.. that would really bring home how much this movie follows the path of the first matrix. IT will take a long time to dissect this movie as we have the matrix.. which is what makes the matrix what it is... it's depth that is not easily discerned from the outset.

-TAO

Game-Revolution Movie Reviewer
I agree with you on that too Tao. We should discuss what the ending could mean for our little friend Neo. Or you could just take the easy way out, and ask me. Because of my job I am able to obtain scripts before the movies come out, and I am able to explain to the point "WHAT" Neo actually is, and what is to come about our little friends. But if you do not want me to go ahead and post this information on what all NEO is, then I will not if asked.

I just hope that the so-called "photo realstic" actors don't look as pathetically CGI as they do in the trailers...

Hi
I saw it. I loved it, especially the Agent Smith Neo fight, i felt that had been the best fight ive seen in the matrix so far, the action of this movie was great and surpassed the first one, but in other catagories it didn't do as well. I felt it wasn't as smooth as the first one and the plot didn't do anything for me until the end when those things are revealed. Nevetheless I enjoyed watching this movie as much as the first (and the first was my favorite movie) and given the options they had for a sequel i felt this was a great path. I also liked monica bellucci's character quite a bit. I think they went overboard on the sex thing and i never really pictured people in Zion grinding to techno music and i'd take that scene away if i were given a choice, i felt it was just random and didn't fit into the "Matrix Feel" at all.

Nope, SB, they look EXACTLY that pathetically cartoony CGI. They should just count 70% of the effects shots in Reloaded as more of the Ani-Matrix.

More of the same, and then some. Indeed. But, if you thought The Matrix was way cool and the effects kicked ass and the story was so deep and trippy and thought-provoking, you'll see lots more of it. If, like me, you thought the original flick was nothing but a dumb action movie in raggedy philosopher's robes with no sense of its own internal logic and lousy sci-fi, BOY is there more of that and spades in the second entry (with no envelope for the third).

There's a reason Superman has Kryptonite, you know? Absolute power is totally dull. Neo can do anything (now in and out of the matrix of course), nobody important can die in either reality, so why should I give a flip about any of it? I am waaaay past the age of being dazzled by effects shots if there's no decent story to hang them on.

Reloaded is even sillier than the first. I won't be seeing the third until video, if at all. Whatever the final punchline is, I really have no interest in finding out. At all.

But, hey, the kids love it.

*QUADRUPLE YAWN*
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
There's a reason Superman has Kryptonite, you know?
Oh so agreeable.

Why didn't he just turn his ultimate bag of holding inside out and walk out of the matrix? It would of fit in with the rest of the plot' "My name is Neo, I'll do whatever I want whenever I want without any rhyme or reason to the consistency of my actions."

Thats the attitude I got.

Puh-lease. He can't do anything. But he can do alot, and frankly, I say "bravo!" to the writers for finding a way to still present his character with challenges despite his immense power. I, like many, wondered upon hearing of the planned sequel how they could possibly present any difficulties before the rebels...but they most definitely have.

As for the CGI: 70% is a completely ridiculous overshoot. I'd say there were a half dozen the entire movie...and in a flick boasting several hundred, that's not much of a black mark.

Zion was horribly stupid in most ways, sorry to say, but the action was swift and sleek and entertaining as hell. What's more, I'll never understand the desire some have to criticize the philosophy of these movies: anyone who walks into these flicks expecting something particularly profound has no one to blame but themselves if they feel let down.

It's science fiction, let's not forget, and it's about being cool before it's about being deep. Still, it's not really simplistic or stupid...if anything, I think it deserves praise for forming what is basically a Terminator/Star Wars synthesis. It's fun, it's cool, and it's compelling. Perhaps the Wachowski Brothers would do well to issue a public warning to all elitist cinephiles to stay far, far away. But hey, maybe this flick'll cause a few of them to see the light.

I can dream, can't I?

Originally posted by Yoda
Zion was horribly stupid in most ways

That, I am gonna have to agree with. I was originally interested in seeing what Zion was going to be like. Broadening out the scope and directions of the areas. I didn't reall go for the "wild jungle" presentation. . I expected a much more of the living city.
That's my opinion I guess.

Otherwise, it kicked maximum a**!!!

Anyone else notice that they are so technical about everything they talk about. How the matrix works, etc. etc. etc. It was very interesting and great imagination but dang, I was like come one kick his arse!! Kick his arse!! HRMPH!!

For the record, the film's better the second time around, too. Like the first, it appears to improve with each viewing.

A few things that stand out to me at this point (both good and bad):
  • The claims of "too much power" seem even sillier upon a sophomore screening. Anyone who's seen the last 10 minutes of the film ought to know quite well that Neo is vulnerable. What's more, why don't I hear the same gripes in regard to Superman and its reverse-rotation time travel inanity? This really isn't any different. If anything, it's strikingly similar.
  • Anyone who inhales the freeway sequence and sees it as anything less than a major contribution to the world of sci-fi action/adventure needs to have their head checked.
  • Upon reading another review, I was able to pinpoint something that caused the film to lack the same emotional weight as the first: injury. I've little to no problem with Neo being 99% indestructable within the Matrix...but we needed, in my opinion, a few of the other characters to take a tad more of a beating. This is due in part to the wussification of the Agents. They've gone from badass to nuisance in just one film. Disappointing in much the same way the emasculated Nazgul were in LOTR: FOTR. They had their moments, but they should've been a greater threat.
WARNING: "The Matrix: Reloaded" spoilers below
Agent Smith is this franchise's Gollum. He's going to be the X-Factor that the machines fail to take into account, and will consequently allow some Hobbit-esque strategy or manuever to slip through the cracks.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong enjoyed the first Matrix (*** of ****); it's not fantastic, but it's an enjoyable action picture wth enough complexity to keep you thinking. This sequel on the other hand was not as good, and Kong will probably be giving it **1/2. The Wachowski's definitely pulled a Lucas and went CGI insane, the going back and forth between fights and "philosophy" felt choppy, the Zion rave was awful, and the end added so much complexity that Kong thinks it may have ruined it's logic (which was shakey to begin with).

Hmmm.... I think I'll go read about all that happens in this movie at themoviespoiler.com

WARNING: "Matrix Reloaded" spoilers below

The architect said "You are only human, and so you may not understand everything I say."

He wasn't talking to Neo, he was talking to us.

Though that was, to me, a wonderful conversation.... and I think I understand. I started to form the idea during the conversation, specifically when he talked about then doing this 6 times already. It was later confirmed (to me) with that bit with Neo at the end (did you all remember to stay after the credits for the trailer btw?) I think that pretty much the only people who have a chance to understand that conversation are people with computer knowledge. The issues he discussed were issues that computer scientists should be familiar with, and finally the Oracle, the Keyman, and everything else all made sense.

He said that .001% of people did not accept the Matrix he created and that they needed special treatment. Well what was that special treatment? Another matrix.

If 99.99% of the people who rejected the main matrix accept the second matrix then you're down to just 0.000001% of people who reject both the first and second. Or, Neo.

So yes, there are 2 matrices. Atleast two.

When a human rejects the matrix the machines switch them over to the second matrix. Why do they do this? Well because they don't want to lose their battery and because it would not be efficient to track down every delinquent. Instead they create a second virtual world and give the humans a city to congregate in. Every once in awhile when these anomalies reach a critical mass they are deleted, in mass, in Zion. That is the purpose of Zion, Agents try to stop him? Why did they make things so hard for him? To make it seem real, for him. If they made it too easy he the Oracle, the keymaster, and everything else.

Everyone is still in a pod. It wouldn't be efficient to delete everyone individually, so they group them all in Zion to be deleted in mass by killing their minds.

This deletion is necessary, Neo is necessary, so why did the Agents try to stop him? Why did they make things so hard for him? To make it seem real, for him. If they made it too easy he might not succeed.

Then there are those exile programs. What bull? I hope everyone familiar with computers rolled their eyes when the Oracle was explaining that. Come on, programs? But in the end it makes sense. Those programs weren't rogue programs but rather programs made to guide Neo through the process. The keyman's purpose was over when he died, he had opened the door. The question is, why? Right... how much did the question of "Why" come up in conversation in that movie... its all foreshadowing see.

Why require Neo at all? Well he is the anomalie, of the second matrix, he is that .0000001%, by giving him this purpose, this pacifier, they keep him under control and negate the threat.

Its like your temporary internet files. It would not be practical to delete them after you are done viewing each page. So you store them in a central location for periodic mass deletions.

These same ideas can be seen in the first movie. Agent Smith decribes the first matrix, how it was perfect, and how humans would not accept the reality. Morpheus and Neo talk about how Neo always felt that something was not quite right with the world he was living in, he wasn't accepting the reality. So the machines move such people to another reality, and have a go.

Now Neo has also rejected that reality, and now the fight is really on.

I remember how there was this physicist on The Screen Savers talking about movie realism and he said (duh) that there could be a city at the center of the earth. Well there isn't, in truth Zion doesn't exist, its just your temporary internet files.

if{$target == 1stmatrixanomalie{
move($target, secondmatrix);
if($target == 2ndmatrixanomalie{
move($target, secondmatrix);
load_deletion_sequence($target);
}

So... to handle the first matrix anomalies (Morpheus, Trinity) they move them to the second matrix, to handle the second matrix anomalies they create this "The One" quest as a pacifier and engineer the end result to be a clearing of the anomalies. Reboot.

Of course I could be wrong, I'm not THAT familiar with the supporting material for this movie... just the movies themselves.

To add on a little more

WARNING: " Matrix Reloaded" spoilers below

The machines must use Microsoft software.

Remember how there were tons of memory leaks and other problems with Windows 95 and 98? How the longer some programs and the OS would run the slower they got because anomalies eventually hogged your memory? How the system would eventually crash without reboots?

Same thing. The software isn't perfect, it needs resets to keep working.