Movie about a utopia that's actually an illusion (***SPOILERS***)

Tools    

This movie came out around 2000 and was created for one of the cable networks (and never in the theaters). I think it was on the original Sci-Fi Channel or maybe the USA Network, but really not sure.

It's about a 1950's American-style utopian world. The main character, if i remember correctly, worked at a car dealership. I remember him looking like Jon Hamm, Adrian Pasdar, or Scott Bakula, but I may be way off there (and I didn't see the movie in their filmographies). He drives his nice car home, and the whole town is beautiful, as are its people and white picket fence style homes.

He suddenly starts seeing weird things. For example, instead of people driving cars, they're actually riding rickety bicycles. The manicured, paved streets are actually dirt roads. Houses are, in reality, tiny shacks. Instead of people's clothes being immaculately maintained, everyone's really wearing filthy rags. And instead of delicious food, they're eating something that looks like rotten garbage. Something is making everyone believe they live in a beautiful, perfect society, but it's mind manipulation that's almost on the scale of the movie "The Matrix."

He befriends a pretty lady, and together they travel outside their town and try to find answers. They even meet an outside militarized government, whose officials are interested in understanding and helping him. This other city's infrastructure appears to be state-of-the-art and well funded. The officials all have nice uniforms. However, their environment is also under the same influence that's making everyone see things differently than what they really are. The main character somehow sees through this illusion too, and realizes this fake prosperity is affecting others outside his home town--maybe the entire world!

The movie ends (BIG SPOILER) with the man and woman eventually running into some elderly maintenance man in a forested area. The maintenance man's job is to service a machine that alters everyone's perception of reality.

Thanks in advance for reading this long post and any offering any insight you have. I posted about this a couple of years ago, and somebody took a guess that it was "The Prisoner" but unfortunately that's not it. I didn't really explain it well the first time, so hopefully this is clearer. Again, thanks!

Hit Girl, thanks a million! That's it.