4th Movie Hall of Fame Nominations

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
It's nearing that time, so I am going to open the thread so those of you joining this time around can start thinking about your nominations.

For those of you new to the HoF, the purpose of the member committee is to nominate one movie that they find deserving to be inducted into the HoF thread. Every member will watch every movie and discuss it in this thread. Then he/she will submit a list via pm to me with all the nominations listed from most deserving to least deserving.

You have a lot of time to think about your nominations so please give it a lot of thought.

Scoring is simple. If there are 15 movies on the list then the movie at the top of the list will receive 15 points on down the list with the last movie receiving one point.

Rules

I'm being a bit more strict this time around. So please read carefully.

1. The nominated movie should be feature length and must have been a theatrical release.

2. Your nomination must have this information when you send it to me: name; director; year of release and a short write-up of why you nominated it. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I am making my list I like to go back and read why someone nominated it in the first place. Only those nominations with this information will be accepted. You may include a movie poster or screenshot that you would like me to use, but that is optional.

3. This time around I need for everyone to write a few short thoughts about each movie after he/she watches it. Part of the process is discussion and part of my process in placing movies is knowing how other people reacted to a particular film. It doesn't have to be a major review or anything lengthy. Even just a couple of sentences like the write-ups that people do in the Asian challenge are fine.

4. The deadline is going to be Oct. 15. so you have half the time you usually have. Make sure to pace yourself accordingly.

5. Have your nomination submitted by July 1st 7:00 pm They will be announced at that time. As soon as you have it ready you can go ahead and send it to me via pm.

Make sure I didn't miss you and your name is on the list.

Members

1. Raul received nomination
2. Seanc received nomination
3. Guaporense - received nomination
4. Nostromo - received nominations
5. Pussy Galore - Received nomination
6. Godoggo
7. WinterTriangles
8. Frightened Inmate Received nomination
9. Bluedeed received nomination
10. Sane -received nomination
11. Swan
12. Cobpyth
13. JirrafeJustin - received nomination
14. The Sci- Fi Slob
15. Daniel M
16. Derek V. - received nomination

1. Trouble in Paradise Nominated by bluedeed
by Ernst Lubitsch (1932)

This round's choice is both at odds and in sync with my previous pick. It's another film that relies on subversion and ellipsis to extend the viewer's imagination, and to hint at the taboo. While The Wind Will Carry Us can be seen as a film about sex, there are few other ways of looking at Trouble in Paradise. While both comedies approach the same subject with similar means, the effect is entirely different and I suspect few will see the movies as connected. The Lubitsch film is filled to the brim with effortless as well as labored charm and never misses a beat. Trouble in Paradise is peak Hollywood magic, and there are very few from its time that approach this level of perfection.[/quote]

2. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
(Directed by Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly, 1952) Nominated by nostromo87

this was pretty hard, to settle on one movie to nominate. after considering an assortment of films covering a wide variety of styles and genres... considered everything from horror- you guys know i have a soft spot for them, to D.W. Griffith, to sprawling David Lean epics, to James Cameron, and others. but didn't take too long before my choice was clearly revealed. for the folks who usually are not into musicals, romance, dance numbers, & all that sort of mushy stuff... i'm generally right there with you. BUT the first time i saw this movie was a reminder to be willing to mix it up. bc hey, maybe it's possible a masterpiece can be made in any of the genres. the story is set in the time when films were transitioning from silents to 'talkies.' it's Gene Kelly at his best as Don Lockwood, Donald O'Connor as well, Jean Hagen as the spectacularly grating Lina Lamont... but especially like Debbie Reynolds as Kathie Seldon. 'I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all.' hope you all enjoy the movie !
[/center]

3. Sansho the Bailiff Kenji Mizoguchi 1954 nominated by Rauld

An absolute gem of a film from Kenji Mizoguchi. It's the story of two children whom are sold into slavery, split literally from their own mother. An absolute tear jerker of a film, filled with so much emotion. The parts that really get me are when Anju hears the slave girl sing the song about her and her brother, which makes her believe her mother is still alive. Also just the generally journey of Zushio, put through so much torture and pain in himself, deciding literally between life, morals, and seeking justice in the base of humanity. Without giving too much away, I must say if you haven't seen this film, even if you aren't a big fan of foreign you have to give this movie a chance. Without joining this forum I believe there is literally no way I would have seen this absolute gem of a film. The ending is absolutely breathtaking, perhaps one of the best endings of any film.

I chose the film because I think it is a film that needs to be seen by all that haven't seen it. If you have seen it, it'd be nice to hear your thoughts on why you appreciate the film.

4. On The Waterfront (1954 Elia Kazan)
Nominated by The Sci-Fi Slob

“On the Waterfront” was nominated for 11 Oscars and won eight. Ironically, the other three nominations were all for best supporting actor, where Cobb, Malden and Steiger split the vote. Today the story no longer seems as fresh; both the fight against corruption and the romance fall well within ancient movie conventions. But the acting and the best dialogue passages have an impact that has not dimmed; it is still possible to feel the power of the film and of Brando and Kazan, who changed American movie acting forever. ~ Roger Ebert

5. Bigger than Life (Nicholas Ray, 1956) Nominated by Frightened Inmate # 2

I saw this movie for the first time earlier this year, and it quickly became one of my favorites. There's such a wicked subversiveness to it as it utterly destroys the typical 50s patriarchal family in a genuinely terrifying way. James Mason gives one of the most intense performances I've ever seen, and possibly my favorite pre-1970 performance ever. The brilliant framing adds so much tension and claustrophobia to the whole thing, and is legitimately haunting. Amazing movie.

6. Sweet Smell of Success (1957) Alexander Mackendrick Nominated by Pussy Galore

I nominate this movie obviously because it's one of my all time favorite. It's the most noir of film noir both in it's message and it's cinematography. The feel of the film almost reminds me of Sin City in it's coldness, but it's not an action film it's a beautifully acted and incredibly well written satire of the corruption that happenned in certain journals in the 50's (I know it's very exagerrated, but Mackendrick is not the only one who was satirizing journalism in the 50's I remember Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole and there are probably lots of others.) Curtis and Lancaster are so good they inhabit the roles of corrupted moral less men perfectly, it represents, in a certain way, the law of the jungle where the stronger stands tall. I also like that in this one there's no femme fatal, it's a man who plays that role and he doesn't use his body to control the situation, but his power. There are so many great lines it the movie Lancaster saying '' I love this dirty, rotten city '' or '' I wouldn't take a bite of you, you're a cookie full of arsenic Falco '', '' The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river '', '' To me Mr Hunsecker you're a national disgrace '' and there are many more. I would go in more details, but I don't want to spoil the movie.

7. Yojimbo Akira Kurosawa; 1961 Nominated by jirrafejustin

I am nominating Yojimbo because it's the coolest movie I've ever seen. The dusty streets are the perfect backdrop for the spaghetti western inspiring amounts of killing to be done. And Toshiro Mifune is the man for the job.

I didn't write a whole lot, but I feel like it's a decent teaser.

8. (Federico Fellini 1964) (nominated by Daniel M.)

A movie that seems to divide an opinion around these parts, but I am not quite sure why. As someone who loves movies and has increasingly become interested in the process behind them, this film contains everything that makes me love movies so much. A fantastic look at not only movies, but life itself, creativity and dreams. To me, the ultimate movie about movies, and I hope many more can enjoy it through the Hall of Fame.

Film: Autumn Sonata Nominated by Swan
Director: Ingmar Bergman
Year: 1978

Write-up:

Bergman really mastered his craft in the 70's and a great example of that is Autumn Sonata. Great performances all around and a poignant story about a woman finally confronting her mother about the neglect she had for her and her sister when they were young.

Streaming Link:

http://www.alluc.to/movies/watch-aut...ne/526921.html

10. Primal Fear by Gregory Hoblit 1996 Nominated by Derek

-Why I nominate this movie ?

Simply because in my opinion this is one of the most underrated movie of all time. The acting debut of my favorite actor Edward Norton who give one hell of a great performance ! It's one of the best courtroom drama I've seen and definitely one of the best plot twist ending than i've ever seen.

11. Ed Wood (1994) Nominated by Cobpyth

This is a Tim Burton film (my personal favorite of his) that tells the story of the so-called "worst movie director of all time", Ed Wood. I strongly advice to watch the film Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) and read a little bit about Ed Wood's career and life first, before watching this film. It truly adds to the experience, in my opinion, because this film is stuffed with clever inside jokes.

I nominated this film, because I think it's a fantastic movie about optimism and the sheer unconditional love for cinema and humanity altogether. Our main character may be the opposite of a perfectionist and many people would say that he plain sucked at what he did, but one thing is for sure: he did it with a great deal of passion, dedication and love and in his own weird way, he was ultimately still able to write film history.

Burton offers us a magical and interesting look behind the scenes of some of the "worst films ever made".
He directs his character with so much warmth and empathy that we can't help but feel connected to them. I can't see how any film lover could not like this film. It's a melancholic, nostalgic, comical, sometimes slightly dramatic and above all, extremely humane piece of filmmaking about chasing dreams and doing what you feel you're destined to do.

I hope the members of the committee will enjoy it as much as I do or will reevaluate it in a positive way after a rewatch!

12. Name: Shōjo Kakumei Utena Aduresensu Mokushiroku (English names commonly used: Adolescence of Utena, Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie) Nominated by Guaporense
Director: Kunihiko Ikuhara
Writer: Yoji Enokido
Year: 1999
Why I nominated it: Characterized by the combination of innovative visuals and creative direction by Ikuhara that resulted in a highly surrealistic lesbian romance film, almost dadaistic in its use of symbolism, and as Ikuhara stated, all interpretations of Utena's symbolism are valid, so let your imagination run wild. This movie's themes are according to my interpretation of it's symbolism are all about the possibility of the triumph of childlike idealism over the cynical and mature. Aggressively imposing in it's use of visuals, it shares some similarities with more famous films but I personally found it to be a highly unique, rich and very weird experience.
Poster:

13. Punch Drunk Love Nominated by Seanc
Paul Thomas Anderson 2002

We have not had a PTA movie nominated yet so I figured I would remedy that. I didn't want to pick one of the three that most seem to love. Not because I don't love them too but because of backlash. Punch Drunk Love has grown in my mind each of the three times I have watched it. It is a little different than other PTA films. It does not have as large of a scope and mostly centers around one person. That one person is Sandler which is also interesting as he is not an actor that many cinephiles love. The score here is also interesting. PTA certainly has interesting scores in all his film but this might be his most heightened.

I know my tastes run a little more main stream than many here and I tend to pick films a lot have already seen. I am hopeful that maybe those who have not watched it yet will find as much to love as I do. Maybe some that may have dismissed it as lesser PTA will give it another look.

14. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring nominated by Sane
Director: Kim Ki Duk
Year: 2003

Reason for nomination: This is simply the most beautiful film I have ever seen - both visually and in terms of tone. I happened to see this on TV years ago when I had no experience with "arty" movies and even though I didn't really "get" it I was mesmerised by the images. I have watched it a number of times since and I quite often feel a desire to re-watch it, more so than any other film, because it has a very calming feel to it.

Add to that the fact that Kim Ki Duk is one of my favourite directors and one that can amaze with the beauty of his images and repulse with the violence (though not so much in this film) and you have a movie worthy of the Hall of Fame.

15. Cherry Blossoms (2008) - Doris Dörrie
Nominated by wintertriangles

I've erased this write-up several times now. This film is the most realistic thing I've ever seen (yes, even in the later sections), at least in my experience on the planet, with as many sad, happy, funny, and upsetting moments as the past week. The camera is a shadow dancer. The music is both charming and fake. The dualities are interesting. Mark probably gave it a so you know it's great.[/quote]

16. Synecdoche, New York ( 2008 Charlie Kaufman)
nominated by Godoggo

After watching it for the first time, I was dying to know what others thought about it. I was under the misguided notion that everyone would be talking about and loving this movie. I was surprised that reviews were so mixed among both critics and viewers. For that reason, I was a little hesitant to nominate it, because this movie is so personal and important to me that it is a little rough when people hate it.

I read Ebert's review and I recall him saying something to the effect of this movie being about you. Whoever you are. It is. It's about me and it's about everyone I know.

There are times when I felt like the movie was talking directly to me. Things I needed to hear, (even if I didn't really want to), things that comforted me, and things that woke me the hell up.

The metaphors in Synecdoche may be obvious, but they are no less profound. Is your house on fire and you don't even notice it? Maybe. Possibly. Probably.

That everyone has their own story and everyone is the main character of their own story is nothing new. Kaufman certainly isn't the first one to tell us that and we won't be the last. The way Kaufman tells us though made me get that in a way I never had before. How important all of our stories are and that ego is not thinking that the world revolves around you, but rather expecting other's worlds to revolve around you as well.

This is a movie about life. And like life it's messy, convoluted, painful, funny and pathetic. I hope that those who have watched it and didn't like it will go in with an open mind and if this is your first viewing I hope you will open up yourself to the experience.

Let the night air cool you off
Submitted mine, 80 minutes of pure surrealistic lesbian gold.
You have my attention.

If you picked what I think you picked, I think it could potentially win this thing.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I had my last nomination down to four and the remaining three are definite possibilities, but this is going to be a very difficult decision again...

For the new members make sure you don't tell anyone your nomination. I like for them to come as a surprise to everyone.

I'm not sure what movie I should pick. I don't want to pick a movie that everyone as seen, but I don't want to pick a movie that nobody could find also.

can i enter ?

I'm checking each nomination as it comes in to make sure it can be found and with English subtitles if needed, so nominate what you want and have a backup ready in case.

So far everyone's noms are good.

I wouldn't worry about what people have or haven't seen so much. That's not really the focus of this. There are challenges and stuff for that. This is for the movie that you think is outstanding, special, groundbreaking, or the best of it's genre. There is some reason that you think it belongs in the HoF thread and that you think everyone should see.

Yes, if you can commit to watching 16 movies in three months and discussing each movie as you watch it. All the rules are in the first post, so if you want in, I'll put your name down.

I won't take any more than that. That's too many movies.

Yes, if you can commit to watching 16 movies in three months and discussing each movie as you watch it. All the rules are in the first post, so if you want in, I'll put your name down.

I won't take any more than that. That's too many movies.
yes I accept ! why not !

Alright. That's it for the group. I'll just repeat that all nominations must be in by July 1st. It would be cool if most of them are in before that in case there are any issues. If I put received nomination by your name in the first post that means you are good to go.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm checking each nomination as it comes in to make sure it can be found and with English subtitles if needed, so nominate what you want and have a backup ready in case.

So far everyone's noms are good.

I wouldn't worry about what people have or haven't seen so much. That's not really the focus of this. There are challenges and stuff for that. This is for the movie that you think is outstanding, special, groundbreaking, or the best of it's genre. There is some reason that you think it belongs in the HoF thread and that you think everyone should see.
I agree, I don't think the HOF thread should focus on underrated films to be honest. We had Psycho and The Apartment win the first two. In this third one, it seems a lot of people nominate things more under seen. I mean granted, you can do whatever you want, but usually a more popular film will win because it will be more enjoyable as a whole to everybody.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
You can't blame people (me) for choosing lesser seen films for this, it's so tempting because everybody needs to watch it, which generates a lot of exposure for the film. I nominated a lesser seen one last time and I might this time, but I'm in no way sacrificing quality to do so.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I would pick lesser-known films too, but they would be things like The Wanderers, Next Stop, Greenwich Village, My Father's Glory or Richard Pryor Live in Concert. They probably could not win, but in my world they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.