The Conjuring vs. You're Next

Tools    

I know they are not exactly comparable, as they belong to very different horror sub-genres, but I wonder if there's a pattern here.

The Conjuring got mostly favourable reviews (86% fresh on Rotten tomatoes) and made so far $222,427,000 in the box office (according to the-numbers.com).

You're Next is only 72% fresh on RT (only 67% by users) and only $13,339,708 in the box office.

Personally I've found The Conjuring to be well made, but very predictable and not surprising at all. It's one of those horror movies that you don't bother thinking about after you leave the movie theater.

You're Next, on the other hand, was one of the movies that stay with you for a while. Although it's also a bit predictable, it was self-aware and well made, and much more interesting, IMHO.

Maybe it's only me and I got it wrong, but maybe people prefer to be scared by the supernatural more than by gory and graphical violent action and blood splatters.

What do you think?

I definitely preferred You're Next. The Conjuring was not bad, but it just didn't feel very fresh. You're Next was a blast to watch and one of the best horror comedies in recent memory.

I think You're Next isn't making as much money because people are kinda tired of horror movies right now after the big successes of the Conjuring and the Purge.

I haven't seen any advertising for You're Next here in the UK, not even a trailer on television. Unlike for The Conjuring that was plastered over all the buses here.

I think You're Next has been doing pretty well for a low budget(that was showing back in 2011 at festivals) word of mouth 18 rated horror film with no mainstream names in the cast.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Conjuring was meh. Nothing particularly memorable. I've yet to see You're Next, but I really want to see it though.

Yeah, I wish I knew the difference in the marketing budget between those films. I guess that makes most of the difference...

We discuss this in detail in an upcoming episode of Popcorn Buddies. We agree you're on the right track, though, with the advertising budget. If you want to hear an involved discussion about their strengths and faults as films in the horror genre, subscribe to our podcast on iTunes. We're releasing the "You're Next" episode later this week.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I havent seen 'You're Next' yet but I have seen 'The Conjuring' They are somewhat different films [im only going on trailers for 'You're Next] I think Id enjoy 'You're Next' but 'The Conjuring' IMO was awesome, I really enjoyed it. Cant wait to buy it on DVD now

You're Next was hilarious. It was like a play off The Strangers with a bad-ass british girl and stupider criminals. I haven't heard anything about the Conjuring other than it's really scary, which is another way of saying it's probably crap. I'd be surprised if it was actually scary.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
I haven't seen You're Next yet. I am going to though. I really enjoyed The Conjuring, thought it was interesting. It didn't scare me, but that is pretty hard for a movie to do. I don't suppose I would compare these two just based on trailers though, seems kind of apples to oranges.

You're Next looked better to me, but so far everyone has said The Conjuring was really good. I'd never see it.