An American remake of a Belgian thriller: Loft

Tools    

In 2008, a Belgian thriller directed by Erik van Looy and scripted by Bart de Pauw was released in Belgium. It's about five close friends, all of them married, who share a loft to accommodate their mistresses and have their fun while their wives haven't a clue about it. It seemed like the perfect way to keep their deceiving ways hidden from their wives. That is, until the dead body of a woman is discovered in the loft. As there are only 5 keys possessed by the five men, they begin to suspect each other of murder.

This film was an unprecedented success in Belgium. It became the highest grossing movie ever on Belgian soil and was one of those films where people gave you a WTF-look if you said you hadn't yet watched it. But what's more important is that it's bloody good. The screenplay from Bart de Pauw is VERY solid with some plot twist you won't see coming. Moreover, flashbacks and flash-forwards are expertly used, as they don't feel forced or artsy and are perfect in terms of what you have learned from the plot by then. The seamless build-up towards the climax rivals that of Gosford Park, The Name of the Rose and Murder on the Orient Express.

And now there will be an American remake, helmed by the same director, Erik van Looy, and starring one of the original Belgian actors, Matthias Schoenaerts, who I've already talked about here. The film stars:

Patrick Wilson (Angels in America, Watchmen, Hard Candy)

James Marsden (X-Men, Superman Returns, Sex Drive)

Wentworth Miller (Prison Break)

Isabel Lucas (Transformers 3, The Pacific)

Joel Kinnaman (The Killing)

Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family)

Release is scheduled for 2013 by IMDB, but the director has told Belgian newspapers it'll be released in the spring of 2012. I'll update this thread as soon as any more information is known.

Gonna hunt for the original. Thanks for the heads up, Brods. Definitely sounds like my kind of thing.

The teaser trailer has been released by a show that chronicled the Belgian director's experiences in directing his Hollywood debut.

I've read in a Belgian magazine that the test audience loved the film. Nobody walked out and the film got a "good to very good" rating. Naturally, we'll have to wait and see until it's released, but everything I'm reading so far is positive and knowing the director, he'll deliver a quality film.