The Limits of Control (2009)

→ in
Tools    

Couldn't find a thread devoted to this movie so here goes . . .

I'm not sure what to think about Jim Jarmusch's 2009 movie The Limits of Control. Part of me likes it. Part of me is just unsure -- this is the part that doesn't understand the movie . . . yet. I love the performances by the famous and not-so-famous actors and actresses. I love each scene, the backdrop location of Spain, and the cinematography. This movie is composed of similar scenes as the lone man (actor Isaach De Bankole) moves inexorably to the climax of his assignment. I'm just not sure all the scenes add up to a movie. I definitely need to watch this movie a couple of more times. Right now I am giving it 3.0/4.0 -- a good movie -- but I may change my mind. I respect Jarmusch for doing things differently -- this movie is definitely not run-of-the-mill.

I need some guidance here. Your thoughts or reviews?

I wanted to start a thread on this.. but never got around to it.
This is one awesome movie...

The background score was brilliant!!... Jarmusch had Neil Young for Dead Man, but the background score for Dead Man got repetitive after a while, but not annoying...
But here background score is something else, Maybe I liked it more coz of The Progressive feel to it..

This could be a sort of a trilogy for Jarmusch: Dead Man, Ghost Dog & Limits of Control.

The movie can be defined as a Spiritual journey of an Assassin.. The nature of his assignments & targets are not clearly defined, but that's what adds to the mystical value of the film..

Not a film for all.. but Jarmusch has gone over the top with experimental films..
He knows how to direct his characters...

I need to watch it again too, it's difficult to write about this film.. I'm at loss of words to give a better explanation.

(No spoilers.)

I watched TLOC again made a couple of observations:

- The lone man rests but never sleeps.
- He only drinks from the right cup of espresso until the last time when he drinks from the left cup. (He always orders two cups.)
- The paper in the last box of matches has nothing on it -- no instructions. (At least I assume the papers inside the match boxes are instructions.)

I enjoyed this movie more on the second viewing.