From the first time I heard they were going to make Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day I was literally marking the days on the calendar until it came out at the theaters. Then a month ago when the movie came out I couldn’t even see it. Saints was in such limited release no theaters within 150 miles of my house were showing it. The torture of not being able to see the Saints finally ended this past Saturday.
After many hours of prayer that a theater my area would play the movie, my prayers were answered, and the Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day was everything I hoped it would be. Eight years after the original they picked up right where they left off.
The Bad:
It’s obvious the brothers in the movie have grown up and it seemed like the playfulness they displayed in the first movie was a little forced in this one. The brothers MacManus aren’t in their twenties any more. You could see that this time around they were more serious about their mission. The relationship between them didn’t feel as organic as it did in the first one.
The Good:
Everything else. I loved this movie. From the script, to the new characters, to the return of all the old characters this movie was the full package. The story was what I was worried about the most. At the end of the first movie the MacManus brothers and their Father are sitting in a room deciding how far to take their vigilante mission just after assassinating mob boss Yakavetta in a packed court room. This could have turned into just another action crap movie from the extreme genre, but instead they decided to expand on the unanswered questions from the first movie. The first question being how didn’t the Brother know who their father was. I can’t say what alot of the questions answered are because I want you to see it for yourself, but I will tell you there are a lot of great twists. Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, and Billy Connolly makes it seems like they never left the characters. They make you believe in a twisted Manson family way that there is a real family bond between them. The film takes you on a wild ride of action, betrayal, and loyalty.
This time around they add two new characters, Julie Benz as a southern bell FBI agent sent to find the Saints, and Clifton Collins Jr. as Romeo a hyper hardcore Mexican who joins the Saints in their vigilante mission. Both characters brought a new dimension to the mythos of the movie. For one Julie Benz does a fantastic job playing the eccentric protégé to Willem Dafoe’s FBI character from the first movie, and it didn’t hurt how good she looked twirling a gun. Clifton Collins Jr. is just a great character actor. In his role as Romeo he brought the emotion to the trio by crying every time he was happy, and having great comedic timing when the movie was getting dark.
Over all the Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day was fantastic, It took a little know cult classic, and through great story telling set it up for an even better third movie.

I would give this movie 3 out of 5 popcorns