No Plans For A Simpson Movie

Tools    

Matt Groening and showrunner Al Jean said that making the series and producing the movie was so exhausting that a sequel remains a distant prospect.

Groening said that It took 18 years to get around to doing the movie .We got very frustrated. Groening also said that they thought it would take two years but it ended up taking four. Some day maybe we'll do another one, but don't hold your breath.

Welcome to the human race...
Last I heard, they weren't going to make a second movie until after the series had finished.

Last I heard, they weren't going to make a second movie until after the series had finished.
Exactly. The creators of "The Simpsons" have ruled out making a second Simpsons movie -- at least not until the TV series finally wraps. According to Variety, Matt Groening was interviewed and this is what he had to say:
"It took 18 years to get around to doing the movie".... "We got very frustrated. We thought it would take two years but it ended up taking four. Some day maybe we'll do another one -- but don't hold your breath."
You can read the rest here

From what I can tell by listening to the DVD commentary. I think next time if they do decide to make another one they need to not take the word of screener audiences and the studio as seriously as they did - it's a tough ask, but I feel it needs to be done to uphold the credibility of the show.

Even though I enjoyed the first film I think the pressure they felt to please everyone hurt the film in the long run. I suppose it had to be done to keep the money men happy.

What are you referring to, specifically? I didn't notice anything inserted into the movie that seemed like some blatant creativity-by-committee attempt to appeal to some demographic, or anything. I'd think that usually applies to things like casting and action, neither of which really applies much to animation.

What are you referring to, specifically? I didn't notice anything inserted into the movie that seemed like some blatant creativity-by-committee attempt to appeal to some demographic, or anything. I'd think that usually applies to things like casting and action, neither of which really applies much to animation.
I was referring to a couple comments that were made in the commentary by a couple of the creative team. I can't remember specifically what or who they were so I won't speculate further on this.

But I'll put forward my own criticism that I feel adds some weight towards my previous comment; it's obvious - at least it is to me - that some of the jokes and sight gags were scaled back, whether or not this was to allow for wider audience appeal is debatable, maybe it was just a lack of confidence on the part of the creative team I don't know. But, in some cases this was so much the case that quite a few of the jokes didn't work at all and what could have been big laughs were silent. Also, what should have been a "movie" was nothing more than an entire episode (and a new one at that) stretched out to fit the 80+ minutes time window with an underlying political message seemingly thrown in without any thought for actual plot - this tended to allow for long(ish) periods in which there seemed to be nothing happening at all. As I stated in my previous post I did enjoy the film, but it was nothing special and it could have been so much more than it was. To me it didn't quite feel like what The Simpsons actually is or was.

Now this does not prove outside pressure and as I'm not an industry insider there's no way that I could prove this. It may just be the fault of the filmmakers.

I'm glad they are waiting for after the series ends which I'm pretty sure will be two more seasons. It makes sense from the show's standpoint and I'd rather the writers and producers devote their time towards creating original, and creative episode ideas to end the show with.

The Simpsons Movie was pretty good, even though it has some Scully-version Homer traits within it, but I will gladly wait so the writers and producers can also work on providing a good sequel that is creative, original, and that doesn't tarnish the show or the first movie. (even though some seasons already have)

I'm kind of tired of the simpsons anyway. THey should have quitted after the first movie. Gone out with a bang!

First movie was ok. I find that the standards are slipping and I would rather watch the old series than the new ones.

Employee of the Month
I remember watching the first episode when I was a child. Back then it was really fun. But 20 years later, they still do the same kind of jokes. How many times you can laugh out lod, when Homer makes his "D`oh!"?
But maybe that`s just me.