The meaning of the color purple in "The Color Purple"

Tools    

So, I watched the movie of The Color Purple recently and I have been trying to figure out what significance purple had in the movie, what was the theme or motif behind it? Every time I thought I knew what it was representing, I'd see the color being used in the film again seemingly at complete random. I can't seem to find anything on the internet, if no one has any ideas, could someone at least point me in the right direction?

In chapter 73 of "The Color Purple", Shug Avery says that she believes that it angers God if a person walks by the color of purple in a field without stopping to notice and admire it. In this statement, Shug summarizes her religious philosophy; to her, God is not some distant deity living on high, but a genderless, raceless being that wants people to appreciate and enjoy life. It is also significant that she chose the color of purple, for it is the color of royalty; and yet a really deep purple seems almost to be black.

Source: Yahoo

Excellent answer jrs! I really love this movie and it's definitely in my top 20 if not my top 10.

So what are some of the specific examples? Like when Shug and Ceilie are searching the house for the missing notes from her sister, what did it mean when that suit that she knocked over was very richly purple? I had started thinking purple represented freedom at the beginning, with the purple flower fields, purple sky and those purple train tracks, then it seemed to represent rebellion (I assume maybe the purple suit was representing rebellion?), but other times I'm not so sure, like those purple pots in the store, what was their meaning?

My take was exactly that, the fields of purple representing freedom and them being together, this has to be one of my favorite films of all time! It was brilliantly made and was so moving

I think all in all I have seen it about 100 times

Dave
On Screen