(500) Days of Summer

→ in
Tools    

This marks the second of three good movies I've seen in a row (sandwiched between The Hurt Locker and District 9). What a streak, particularly in this barren summer. I love parentheses, so the fact that this movie has them right in the title is a big advantage for it. Is (500) Days as good as The Hurt Locker? No, it's slightly too precious in spots and also features a couple of (unneccessary) standard romantic comedy staples - the bumbling friends with no advice to offer and the wise (and profane) beyond-her-years sibling with way too much (good) advice to offer. Other than those quibbles, though, (500) Days was pretty fresh - I loved the fact that they tell you up front (and in the trailers) that it isn't a love story and that it doesn't really work out for the couple in the end.

It's a pretty typical story: straight-laced romantic Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) meets quirky, not-that-conventionally-beautiful-yet-uniformly-desired girl Summer (Zooey Deschanel). The story is not told in chronological order, so you don't get the straightforward "does she like me? she likes me! she doesn't like me..." routine. I think every guy has probably encountered some loopy chick like Summer (and does Zooey Deschanel play any other type role? And is she the same exact person as Maggie Gyllenhaal or what?) at some point in his life, inevitably leading to consternation. Gordon-Levitt is a great actor, although this is the first time I've seen him in something this light since his seminal work in Third Rock From the Sun. He works just fine here, maybe a tad too earnest at times, but he was able to bridge the gap from breezy to (literally) cartoonish well. As a bonus, there's a big dose of Hall & Oates in here, too. The leads are good, the story is fresh for the genre and some of the relationship complications will hit close to home. If you are going to go to a romantic comedy, this is a much better choice than, for example, the one with Katherine Heigl and that 300 dude.

One other thing, Geoffrey Arend, who I saw in the liquor store the other day, is one of the goofy friends in this movie. As you may be aware, he is engaged to Christina Hendricks of Mad Men fame. Geoffrey may be a great guy, but I still can't figure out how this one adds up. (I'm too new here to post pictures yet, but if you've seen them you'll know what I'm talking about)

(Also, if there is already a thread for this movie, I apologize. I did multiple searches but the site seemed to be running very slow, please move as necessary if this is in wrong spot)

I heard good things about this.....I picked up the 500 Days of Summer workprint earlier this afternoon and will probably watch it tonight after I see the Flash Forward premiere episode.

I just loved this movie. I am very picky about my Top 10 list of all time, but the second the movie ended, I knew I couldn't resist putting it there. I was so impressed with the uniqueness and subtly of the way the movie unraveled. I saw it for a second time just a few days later, and I feel like I could watch it day after day after day...

So, I finally got to see this earlier today. I was going to type up a full review, but seeing as I might go see it again tomorrow, I'll just wait. For now, just some quick thoughts.

It's the best movie of 2009 by far, hell it's the best new release that I've seen since The Dark Knight came out last summer. It's actually the first movie that I can remember that got to me on an emtional level throughout the whole movie. I mean there's plenty of movie scenes that got to me, but pretty much the entire movie just had me. I don't know what it was about it, but it just got to me. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was so incredibly amazing, though. Seriously, I never expected for his acting to be so amazing. It's like he was just meant for this one role. The music in the film got me, too, which reminds me that I have to go download the soundtrack. The more I think about it actually, the more I want to go see it again tomorrow. I actually think that right now, it would probably make my top 30, maybe even higher than that.

(500) Days of Summer
Marc Webb, 2009

Very rarely is there ever a film that hits me so hard, that has me wanting to see it again immediately after I finish watching it. (500) Days of Summer just happens to be one of those films, because I’ve seen 3 times since I first saw it on Friday. I’m not even sure if I’ll be able to sum up all of my feelings for it in words, but I’ll try my hardest to do so.

First off, I loved the narration for the film. I loved how they actually put in a narrator in the film to explain things in a way. I still think that the movie is more told through all of the song choices for the movie. This is actually the first movie ever for me, which I loved every single song they put in the movie. The soundtrack is incredibly amazing in case anyone was wondering. I usually don’t like the type of indie music either, which has surprised me most about this. It was a great mix, with artists like Regina Spektor, Simon and Garfunkel, Wolfmother, and the Smiths.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt shone more than anyone in this, by far. I’d definitely count this as his breakthrough role, and I can’t wait to see him in some more of his upcoming roles he has. He was meant to play Tom Hanson. Like I seriously can’t describe in words how amazing he really did. Zooey Deschanel did pretty great as well, but was really overshadowed by Gordon-Levitt throughout the whole movie. Deschanel doesn’t usually do too badly in anything I’ve seen her in; though I did think she was a little off in her role in the Happening. Geoffrey Arend did great; too, he played his part as the comic relief pretty great.

I almost never like romantic comedies as much as I loved this one. Even when I do, it’s usually an older romantic comedy, before they got really crappy. What I loved most about it was the realism of the movie. I don’t really want to give away the ending, but it’s a lot different than any other romantic comedy I’ve ever seen. I like how they chose to film it, too, with it not being in chronological order. It reminded me a bit of how Pulp Fiction was told, with the second to last scene of the movie being the first shot of the movie.

I don’t know if I did such a great a job at trying to persuade you to go see this, but I pretty much already knew that I wouldn’t be able to sum up my thoughts of it into words. It’s just a film that you have to go and experience to understand. It’s by far my favorite movie of the year so far, but it’ll more than likely stay that way. It’s actually the best new release that I’ve seen since the Dark Knight came out last summer.

Welcome to the human race...
Got around to seeing this on the weekend. In short, I liked it a lot. I would probably give this a
at most. Very funny, quite well-written, great acting and I actually liked a lot of the storytelling techniques (especially the use of split-screen or jumping back and forth in the narrative frequently). Overall, it was very good.

P.S. Han Solo.

I enjoyed (500) Days of Summer too, partially since I've been a Gordon-Levitt fan for years. I gave it 4 out of 5.

See the trailer here:

Well, they are both bittersweet films revolving around a couple's relationship (and all the highs and lows thereof), all presented in non-linear fashion.

I'm gonna watch this movie next week and I am so excited!

This was far from being a good film
4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
5. Spirited Away

I just felt that it was nothing special with most romcoms except the main female character who really just lacked any charisma or acting ability. The split screen was cool but the humour was nothing original or special and in general, so was the story. It was just average

Fair enough. On the surface it seemed like the kind of movie I would probably cringe all the way through but I thought it was an interesting take on the genre with quite a few good jokes thrown in. Not perfect, of course, but I genuinely liked it.

Not sure I'm ready to call this a great flick. I think I may watch it again... maybe. Pretty good though. If this is one of the best flicks this year though, then boy, the Oscars are going to be easy to pick this year, methinks.