Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Looking through the list there are some awesome films coming out

Wentworth Miller joins Resident Evil: Afterlife

Wentworth Miller, that guy from Prison Break, has joined Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter in Resident Evil: Extinction.

From Heat Vision:

Wentworth Miller has come aboard to star in “Resident Evil: Afterlife,” the fourth installment of the popular film series from Screen Gems and Constantin Film, which begins production this week in Toronto. The movie will be shot and released in 3-D.

Miller joins a returning Milla Jovovich as the zombie-fighting heroine, as well as Ali Later and Spencer Locke, both of whom reprise their roles from “Resident Evil: Extinction.”

Also returning is Paul W. S. Anderson, who hops into the chair as writer, director and producer. Anderson wrote, directed and produced the first “Evil” in 2002, but acted as writer and producer for the two sequels.
An 8 week shoot is currently under-way, which gives them roughly a year to complete the film as Sony has set the release date for September 17th 2010.

Source: Filmonic

Transformers 3 Release Date Set

A few weeks ago Michael Bay had a meeting with Steven Spielberg and Ehren Kruger to discuss ideas for Transformers 3 and to decide whether it would be released in 2011 or 2012. Before Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen burst into public viewing Bay said he wanted to have a break from robots and planned to make a small movie (Pain and Gain) before starting the next one, however from what he posted on his official forum today it looks like he’ll be going straight back into it:

Well its official: We have a great Transformers 3 story. The release date is now July 1st 2011. Not 2012.

Today is Day One. This morning started with an ILM meeting for five hours in San Francisco. Currently I’m flying with writer Ehren Kruger to Rhode Island to talk to Hasbro about new characters.

P.S. Megan Fox, welcome back. I promise no alien robots will harm you in any way during the production of this motion picture. Please consult your Physician when working under my direction because some side effects can occur, such as mild dizziness, intense nausea, suicidal tendencies, depression, minor chest hair growth, random internal hemorrhaging and inability to sleep. As some directors may be hazardous to your health, please consult your Doctor to determine if this is right for you.

Pain and Gain is right after shooting of Trans 3.

Michael

Quentin Tarantino planning to make Kill Bill 3?

Quentin Tarantino appeared on Italian TV recently to promote Inglourious Basterds (which will be released tomorrow over there, those poor Italians had to wait) and he revealed that he plans on making Kill Bill 3 at some point over the next few years. He says that he wants a 10 year break in between the second and third film, so we could see Uma Thurman kicking ass again in 2014.

Skip to the 5:55 minute mark to watch him speak:

&

Friday the 13th Part 2 in 2010

Bloody-Disgusting reports that Warner Bros. has announced a sequel to this year’s Friday the 13th reboot, which is creatively titled Friday the 13th Part 2.

Slasher flick reboot king Platinum Dunes (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, A Nightmare on Elm Street) will once again be bringing us the 2K version of Jason Voorhees, with an expected release date of next summer.

No word yet on if the cast who survived the first installment will be returning (Jared Padalecki and Amanda Righetti), or whether Marcus Nispel will once again direct. Expect those details to come shortly.

The film will be in theaters on Friday, August 13, 2010.

Source: Screenrant

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Eh wasn't a fan of it. Will DVD wait that.

Is A Millennium Film On The Way?

News broke a few weeks ago that a film version of Chris Carter television show Millennium might be on the way. I’ve spent that time trying to gather some information on the project to see if fans will get to see the return of Lance Henriksen’s Frank Black character.

Millennium was a mid-to-late nineties show from the creator of The X-Files, Chris Carter, as a way of tackling darker stories that did not fit into the X-Files mold. Lance Henriksen starred as Frank Black, a profiler who has remarkable insight into the minds of killers and other demented souls. The show was like Michael Mann’s Manhunter crossed with Seven, by way of The X-Files. While it wasn’t a huge hit, it did acquire many loyal fans during its run and a campaign has been ongoing to try and get some closure on the series.

Lance Henriksen was approached by private investors who wish to make an independent film version of the Carter-produced series. Now, this is an interesting development as the rights to the series are owned by 20th Century Fox.

There are rumblings that Fox is interested in bringing Millennium back to screens - possibly without the involvement of Chris Carter and this independent route would seem like a way of doing so. It’s also believed that the studio intends to make another 'X-Files' film, and again it’s possible that Carter won’t be involved (he directed and co-wrote 2008’s I Want To Believe). Now, be aware that this is speculation, but also something that I have heard through the grapevine, so there might be some truth to it.

If Fox were to let someone else produce a new version of Millennium then they would distribute the film on its release. It seems like a relatively risk-free way of Fox to use one of their properties without any real financial involvement, and in today’s fiscally challenged world, it might make good sense.

It is believed that Carter will step aside from the franchise and one name that has been mentioned with regards to directing an independent Millennium film is Brett A. Hart. Hart worked with Henriksen on 2007’s wonderful Bone Dry and has shown interest in directing the project - even going so far as to say he’d direct it for free.

Hart who had this to say about the project:

“As a tremendous admirer of “The Millennium Series” I’m of course very intrigued by the recent rumors that there may indeed be a full length feature on the horizon. If any one can get “Millennium” made its Lance and it’s been a long time coming. It’s time to give the fans what they’ve been patiently waiting to see… More insight into the aberrant world of Frank Black… while further elevating and merging storylines, characterization and visuals… and finally closure for one of the finest series ever created. Let’s hope as the title sequence suggest “The Time is near”… and As I’ve already publicly stated… my passion and conviction for the series is so deep that I’d direct “Millennium - The Movie” for free just to see it on the big screen.”
The ball is now in 20th Century Fox’s court. Will they want to give the rights to independent producers who want to bring Millennium to the big screen or will they hold on to the property and refuse to share?

Source: Back To Frank via Screenrant

Poltergeist Remake Delayed

For those you who outraged by the news that a Poltergeist remake was coming - you can now breath a little easier. Well, at least for a while longer. Bloody-Disgusting is reporting that MGM’s remake of the classic 1982 ghost-horror has been pushed back from its original November 24th, 2010 release date to an undetermined date in 2011.

As far as we know, House of Sand and Fog director, Vadim Perelman, is still set to helm the Poltergeist update, and Knowing writers, Juliet Snowden and Stiles White are still writing the screenplay. With the film being at MGM, my immediate reaction was this delay might have something to do with their recent financial difficulties. However, we now have an official reason for the delay, as the studio contacted Bloody-Disgusting directly to tell them the film’s set to start production sometime in early 2010, and they simply couldn’t get it done and dusted in time for its original November release.

As stated, Poltergeist is set to start production in early 2010, and now has a release date of sometime in 2011.

Any news on the rumored Interview With The Vampire/Queen of the Damned remakes, or Anne Rice series reboot in general?

Any news on the rumored Interview With The Vampire/Queen of the Damned remakes, or Anne Rice series reboot in general?
Robert Downey Jr.To Play Lestat in Rice's Vampire Reboot?

Bloody-Disgusting reports that Universal Pictures is going to reboot Anne Rice's "The Vampire Chronicles" and is in talks with Robert Downey Jr. to play the vampire Lestat Du Lioncort!

Lestat was previously played by Tom Cruise in the 1994 adaptation of Rice's Interview with the Vampire, which co-starred Brad Pitt, Christian Slater and Kirsten Dunst. Stuart Townsend later played Lestat in the 2002 film Queen of the Damned, which co-starred Aaliyah and took elements from the author's "The Vampire Lestat" and "The Queen of the Damned."

The series of novels also includes "The Tale of the Body Thief," "Memnoch the Devil," "The Vampire Armand," "Pandora," "Merrick," "Blood and Gold," "Blackwood Farm" and "Blood Canticle."

Source: ComingSoon.net

Updates on the X-Men Franchise: Wolverine 2, First Class and Deadpool. Magneto is Dead

X-Men Origins: Wolverine will be released on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK next week, and UK magazine Empire flew out to the US to have a one-one-one with producer Lauren Shuler Donner. As expected, they asked her for updates on Wolverine 2, X-Men: First Class, Deadpool and X-Men Origins: Magneto and she had a lot to say.
Wolverine 2

Donner says that Wolverine 2 is the furthest along out of all the projects and will focus on the relationship between Wolverine and Mariko, the daughter of a Japanese crime lord, and what happens to him in Japan. She says they wanted an “A+ writer” so they got Chris McQuarrie (Valkyrie, The Usual Suspects) who has tightened up the story and has “got really immersed in the whole thing”. 20th Century Fox will also be working with the Japanese Fox executives as they “don’t want to portray the way [Japanese people] speak, dress and act in an inaccurate way.” Although it is “likely the characters will speak English rather than Japanese with subtitles”.

Donner finishes by saying “there’ll be samurai, ninja, katana blades, different forms of martial arts – mano-a-mano, extreme fighting. We’re going to come up with a new style of fighting. It’s going to be awesome.”

X-Men: First Class

According to Donner the script is not finished and they aren’t where they want to be yet. They are trying hard not to make it too similar to the previous trilogy and want to make it different. Donner also admits that the Harry Potter movies are “role models” for them but they “want it to be like the recent, darker Potters. It should not be a kiddie movie – we’re in the X-Men world so you can’t suddenly change the tone.”

She says that there’s still friction between mutants and the outside world, but First Class will be set before anyone knows mutants exist so it will probably have a more secretive edge. Regarding the characters Donner says they will be in Xavier’s School but they will also be off on adventures and some will be “naughty children”. She gives Cyclops as an example who is “a tough kid that bobbed from foster home to foster home, until he ends up at the school and becomes the leader.” None of the characters have been cast yet, but they plan on turning First Class into a whole new franchise so “the casting of the child actors will be all-important.” I’m not sure how young the actors will be but they’ll probably be young enough so we see them grow up on-screen.

Deadpool

Deadpool will be a complete reboot as they want to “ignore the version of Deadpool that we saw in Wolverine and just start over again”. Donner says it will be a “dark, snarky, very funny movie” and they are just working out which villain(s) to incorporate. They hope to have a write on-board by next month and are currently talking to a few. “We need someone really imaginative because we want to do some really innovative, ambitious stuff. Ryan’s mentioned this in an interview already but there are parts where he’s going to break the fourth wall and talk directly to the audience in the cinema. We have to work out how to do that. I don’t know that Fox will agree with all our decisions, but we’ll see!”

X-Men Origins: Magneto

…won’t be seen for a while, if ever. Donner says the film is “at the back of the queue” out of all the films and she isn’t sure if the script David Goyer wrote is ever going to be made. “Maybe it’ll get made in five years – who knows? I can tell you that Ian McKellen won’t be playing the character the whole way through. We used Lola technology in X-Men 3 to de-age Ian and Patrick for one scene, but it’s very expensive. To do that for a two-hour movie would be prohibitive financially. And to find a younger actor to fill Ian’s shoes, that’s pretty daunting. It’s not easy.”

Summary

The X-Men franchise peaked in 2003. 20th Century Fox have since been too involved with the creative process and we have ended up with disappointments. Although, they have hired Chris McQuarrie to write Wolverine 2 and there is a chance Bryan Singer could return to direct. If that happens Wolverine 2 may actually be a good movie.

If Fox don’t screw things up they could have a new franchise with X-Men: First Class. The films won’t be as good as the Potter ones, but that franchise ends in 2011 and there will be a gap in the market. They need to get an “A+ director” involved.

Bond 23 will start filming at the end of 2010

We haven’t heard anything on the next Bond film since June when The Queen and Frost/Nixon writer Peter Morgan was brought on-board to work on the script. Daniel Craig is currently half way though the run of his Broadway play A Steady Rain alongside Hugh Jackman, and it was while signing autographs for the fans outside where he revealed that they will “start end of next year”.

You can watch him saying it below, although it’s not that interesting.

&feature=player_embedded

This means there will probably be a late 2011 release for Bond 23, which will be 3 years after the release of Quantum of Solace. No director has been announced yet, although they’ve got roughly a year to find one.

Thanks jrs can't wait for the new bond

Blair Witch 3 Now Sequel Rather Than Prequel?

Since the original Blair Witch movie came out, filmmakers Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez have always flirted with the idea of making Blair Witch 3 a prequel to the mythology they created. While an 18th Century period piece focusing on the witch hunt would make for an interesting follow-up, with the recently renewed interest in The Blair Witch Project stemming from the 10 year anniversary, the filmmakers are now thinking of a direct sequel rather than a prequel.

"We would still love to make that prequel idea," Sánchez told Shock. "We actually talked to Lionsgate about it four or five years ago. But they were very hesitant to do a prequel, because it’s a period piece and they haven’t had much luck with horror period pieces, and also the period would’ve made it a bit too expensive."

"However, right now, Dan (Myrick) and I are actually working on an idea for a Blair Witch sequel," says Sánchez. "It’s the first time that Dan and I have really gelled on an idea for a follow-up. We have a bunch of ideas for the prequel that date back to the beginning of the legend, but this is the first time we’ve gotten together and really loved what we’re coming up with."
There's still a lot to be set up though before they can jump behind the cameras again. "The plan would be to go to Lionsgate within the next couple of months and see if they’re interested," he explains. "It’s completely up to them. They own the franchise. But we’re getting a lot of incredibly supportive feedback from lots of people saying "Hey, if (Lionsgate) don’t want to finance it, call me and I’ll write the check.""

"There’s plenty of different options here," he continues. "Hopefully Lionsgate will get excited and we can move forward on it. We’ll probably have some kind of news by the end of the year – either that there’s nothing happening, or that we’re moving forward, or that we’re still talking to all the parties that are involved."

There was recently a reunion screening of the original Blair Witch Project here in LA at the Egyptian Theater last month. We asked Sánchez what it was like to re-experience the film on the big screen with an audience again. "I didn’t get to go," he confesses. "My wife was pregnant and my son literally came two days before that screening. So I was here on the East coast. It would’ve been cool to see the movie with an audience again, but there’s actually a bunch of screenings in October of Blair Witch. In November, it’s showing in Chicago and I think I’m going to go up for that."

You can read the rest of the article here.

Source: Shock Till You Drop

Live-Action ‘Jetsons’ Movie Gets ‘Smart’ New Director

According to a source that the guys over at Pajiba have, Robert Rodriguez won’t be directing the long in-development live-action Jetsons movie. It was only this summer that we got word that The Jetsons was firmly on its way, with an early draft of the script having been written, and Rodriguez himself sounding enthusiastic after he said he’s been working on ideas for the adaptation for a long time.

However, Rodriguez has his fingers in a lot of pies right about now: He has his full-length Machete movie (currently in the editing stages); he’s heavily involved in the Predators reboot; apparently he has Spy Kids 4 in the works (it was only a matter of time…); and, of course, there’s the much-anticipated, long gestating Sin City 2 (which could be filming next year, last we heard). So it’s kind of understandable, but nonetheless saddening to find he’s (apparently) dropped out of The Jetsons.

So who’s said to be replacing Rodriguez as the director of The Jetsons? Well, after some snags in getting the production going on the part of Warner Bros. – including Jim Carrey passing on the lead role of George Jetson – and despite the studio liking the script turned in by John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky, it appears that Get Smart director, Peter Segal, is going to be helming The Jetsons.

Although no deal has been officially signed, it’s looking quite likely Segal will get the gig. The existing script will be scrapped by WB, although they’re not planning on bringing on any new writers to write a new version of it until Segal signs on the dotted line.

No release date has been set for The Jetsons as of yet.