Pushing Daisies

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
This is another great series that ive just recently got into and in some ways it is very similar to Dead Like Me but it is very unique in it's visual and comedy style. I think it is great and the good news is that there is a season 2 on TV in UK know but I'll wait for the DVD release as I often do with series that I like I'll just buy the boxset and watch them with no bloody adverts lol

Pushing Daisies centers on the life of Ned, a pie-maker gifted with the mysterious ability to bring dead things back to life by touching them. There are some conditions to this somewhat unusual talent. Ned quickly learns that if something is revived for more than exactly one minute, something of similar "life value" in the vicinity drops dead, as a form of balance. Additionally, if he touches the revived person or thing a second time, it falls dead again, this time permanently.
In the pilot episode, Ned discovers his gift as a child by resurrecting his Golden Retriever, Digby, after the dog is hit by a truck. He later brings back his mother when she dies of an aneurysm. However, in doing this, he accidentally causes the death of the father of his neighbor and childhood sweetheart, Charlotte "Chuck" Charles, as the "price" of keeping his mother alive. Even worse, Ned's mother falls dead permanently when she gives him a good-night kiss (which is how he learns the effect of the second touch).
In their childhood, Ned and Chuck become separated after Chuck's agoraphobic aunts, Vivian and Lily, move in to take the role of her parents, while Ned is shipped off by his father to a lonely boarding school.
Inheriting his mother's baking talents, Ned becomes a pie-maker who owns a restaurant called "The Pie Hole", which he runs with the help of waitress Olive Snook (Kristen Chenoweth). The restaurant is failing financially when private investigator Emerson Cod accidentally discovers Ned's gift and offers him a proposal: Ned will bring murder victims back to life, inquire about the circumstances of their untimely death, then touch them once more, all before his set limit of sixty seconds is up. Emerson will then solve the case and they will split the reward money for solving the unanswered questions surrounding the death.
The scheme succeeds until they learn that Chuck, whom Ned hasn't seen since childhood, was murdered while on a cruise ship. When her body is shipped back home, Ned revives her, but can't bring himself to allow her to stay dead by touching her a second time. Against his better judgment, Ned allows her to live and the larcenous funeral home director falls dead in her place. Ned and Chuck fall in love again and he brings her home to live with him under the unique circumstances of their never being able to touch each other. Chuck is extraordinarily grateful upon receiving a second chance at life, and as such she starts to appreciate life as a truly precious resource and Ned, witnessing his vivacious beauty's happiness, begins to break out of his lonely shell. Other storylines include Emerson's search for his missing daughter, Olive Snook's love for Ned and friendship with Chuck, and Chuck's aunts trying desperately to get over their dead niece.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, here's some sad news for you. Pushing Daisies has been pulled by ABC. Seems it was another victim of the Writer's Strike. Enjoy it while you can. By the way, I don't think Ned can bring it back to life either.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Yeah ive heared that badnews Spud it is very anoying when good series get's pulled but the bad series stay it makes no sense to me at all.

If Ned did bring it back hopefully Sex and the city would die after the minute is up hay!

If Ned did bring it back hopefully Sex and the city would die after the minute is up hay!
Oh how I only wish that was the case. There are a few shows that I don't understand why they remain on, especially when there are real good shows that get pulled simply because they're not pulling in the ratings. I always wonder why they don't try a different timeslot first, before just up and pulling it.

One good show I am bummed is gone is Journeyman. It was on right after Heroes. It had a good premise and was just starting to get good and then...yank.

Love this show. Bought Season 1 blind based on the strength of critical opinion, and the fact that I'd already seen and loved Wonderfalls (same creator; Bryan Fuller).

Was very sorry to see it go, because I thought the second season was, as far as it went, even better than the first; it gets really downright hysterical at points. I was also impressed by the BSG-like-way in which they managed to heap one plot development upon another, yet kept the entire thing feeling fresh.

Anyway, my understanding is that there are three filmed, but unaired episodes sitting around, so we'll probably get them on the Season 2 DVD. There's talk of a movie and/or a comic book to wrap things up, too, both of which I'd love to see. There's good precedent for both; Fuller's "Dead Like Me" saw a straight-to-DVD film to close things out (just came out in the U.S., I think), and in interviews he divulged the things he'd had planned for Wonderfalls had it gone on a couple seasons more. So, the dude seems to understand the need for closure, and I'm confident we'll get it one way or another.

Real shame, though...three series', and troubles with all of them in one way or another.

As for why it got cancelled: as angry as I am, I don't think it's just executives being stupid. At least, not necessarily. I hear that Pushing Daisies is a pretty expensive show to produce, and the writer's strike does seem to have halted whatever momentum it might have been building before. It'd probably do the people in charge to stick with these shows a bit longer, but if people aren't watching, I can't feel too outraged when they don't. Still a shame, of course.

That's the real problem here, people just aren't watching. It's following is devoted but just too small for such an expensive, network show. Huge shame.

Well, you also have to understand that when this writer's strike kicked into gear, there was a void on pretty much every network. What did they use to fill that void? Well, some went with re-runs of some popular shows, or news magazine specials. Others...the ever-dreaded Reality Show.

Watching Reality Shows reminds me of the Hulu commercial that's out right now with Alec Baldwin in it. You know, the one where they make your brain mush. That's what these reality shows do to people and they just can't turn away.

I'm sorry I just went on a little rant there. It just pisses me off when these really good shows get axed because nobody wants to watch something that requires a little bit of brain.

I've attached the commercial, just in case some of you haven't seen it.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Pushing Dasies season 2 is coming out to buy in the UK on 25/05/2009 I really cant wait for it. I havent been watching it on tv I preffer watching it on DVD as there isnt any adverts

I thought this might be of interest to some of you.

Bryan Fuller has reportedly begun work on a comic continuation of his cancelled Pushing Daisies series.

Former Pushing Daisies star Chi McBride told Sci Fi Wire that he has read some pages of the script for the comic that Fuller is writing for WildStorm.

"It's a whole thing about a whole bunch of corpses coming to life," said McBride - who played private detective Emerson Cod in the show. "That's all I know so far, but Bryan was kind enough to share the first few pages. It really looks good.

"It seems a little darker [than the show], which is a lot of things that Bryan couldn't do. There's one particular story that I hope he does called 'The Head'. I wished he could've done it during the series. It was awesome."

Fuller revealed that he would be continuing the show as a comic after it was prematurely cancelled after its second season.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/n...ies-comic.html

Nice! I don't usually go for this kind of thing, if only because I think these things, as the description above indicates, end up going off in a somewhat crazier direction once freed from the constraints of television (which isn't always a good thing), but the way Pushing Daisies ended still left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth (though they did a fairly good job, under the circumstances, of wrapping things up), so I might give these a try.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I wish they would bring it back on tv and dvd it sucks that the show got cancelled, the comics sound cool but im not a comic guy *ducks for cover* but hopefully if I can get my hands on them and give them a go it may change my mind alittle.