So what about Conan?

Tools    

I have been saying they should make another Conan movie for years.
I have even been doing some research for script ideas (of my own).
I hear they are going to do one, an origin movie.
Robert Rodriguez is said to be involved.
Any info out there on this rumor?

That is more of a wrestling link, Yoda. Big muscle bound retards who cannot act.
Conan does not need to be a 20th century muscle freak. It is more important to find a good actor.
Also, Robert Rodriguez might ruin the picture and if he is out, good. A director of epics is needed for this one and someone good with historical type action sequences.
I also think an origin film is a lame idea. Move on. Everyone knows who Conan is. The first movie is a classic. A new Conan movie yes, an origin revision = yawn.
This would be a good project for Lucas to get involved in. Providing he does not write it.

Conan does not need to be a 20th century muscle freak. It is more important to find a good actor.
I completely disagree, He does need to be muscle bound, which is why I was a little excited back when Vin Diesel was being thrown around there for awhile. I think 'The Rock' would be alright too although at this point this is a totally rudderless ship so all we're really doing is starting our own rumor mill. This thing has been in limbo for several years.

The only legitimate rumor out there right now appears to have Brett Ratner's name attached to directing this train wreck. I suppose that's better than Uwe Boll...

Personally I hope it never happens which is exactly why it will and it will stink to high heaven. I can see the future.

Conan (2011)

Jason Momoa ... Conan (rumored)
Don't know if he can act, but he's not just a weightlifter.

Mickey Rourke is in negotiations to play Conan’s father in Lionsgate’s “Conan” movie.
Marcus Nispel - is directing the pic, which being produced by Nu Image/Millenium Films and sees Jason Momoa playing the barbarian warrior created by Robert E. Howard.
Shooting is scheduled to start in Bulgaria in March.
The story sees Conan embark on a quest to avenge the slaughter of his people including his father, Corin.
Rourke, who had been tipped off to play the father by website Latino Review in January, was offered the role, but dealmaking fell apart. The two sides came back to the table in the last couple of weeks.
ICM-repped Rourke has been making the most from his Oscar nomination for “The Wrestler.” In a similar path to John Travolta after his “Pulp Fiction” nomination, Rourke has signed on to a slew of projects, ranging from high-brow (“Passion Play” with Bill Murray and Megan Fox) to low-brow ("The Expendables" with 1980s action heroes) to big commercial plays ("Iron Man 2”).
- http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/0...ns-father.html

I am not a fan of National Treasure or Pathfinder, so ...

Semper Fooey
How are you going to get a good movie out of Conan? It's fine on the printed page, but try to visualize it and it just seems silly.

FYI GOM, those IMDB pro pages you linked to won't allow anyone to see them unless you're a IMDB pro member.

Anyway, I'm getting that feeling... you know the one. Although Pathfinder wasn't completely terrible. Still though, I find it a little hard to believe that there isn't someone else available to do this besides a music video director.

Jason Momoa would be a good call, I think. He's pretty fun to watch on Stargate: Atlantis.

I love Conan, and would love to see another one. I wish that they would have done another one, back when Arnold was younger. I think that the actor that plays Conan should be muscle bound, but I don't like the idea of using the Vin Diesel, The Rock, or Triple H, or whoever else. I feel like they should go with an unknown for this one. As far as a director, I would love to see John Milius do this one also. I mean he did the first Conan, and it is one of my all time favorite movies, plus he did episodes of Rome, which was one of the best tv shows ever. He would be the perfect choice for this. I just hope that they are careful making another one of these, because they could easily mess up and ruin it all.

I'm a fan of Conan, usually don't mind a bit of the old Schwarzenneger, and love fantasy: but I think the original Conan sucks. The only thing I liked about it was Thulsa Doom's personality and how he was a charismatic leader rather than an outright tyrannical warlock.

A problem with translating Conan into Hollywood-style film is that Conan is not a typical Hollywood character (vague statement, I know) and doesn't even have a character arc. In the books, Conan doesn't need a reason to go around laying down his brutal, animal justice on the foul creatures and powers of the world: he's a barbarian, he's a fighter, he's a thief, and he does whatever the hell he wants. The whole deal with "Conan's village gets slaughtered (laughable; Cimmerians don't take **** from nobody), Conan spends a decade turning some wheel, Conan has a tacky training montage in an attempt to persuade you that he's capable of undertaking the task ahead despite the fact he just spent a decade turning some wheel," just annoyed me.

I understand that films aren't books and that the structure is different, but ultimately, why copy a book to film if you're going to make it stupid? For money, that's why, and that's a frustrating reason in itself.

And I thought Schwarzenneger was stupid in it.

I know that renewing old franchises with brand new "origins" stories is overdone, but I feel like Conan needs it.

/rant

I read a while ago in Empire magazine that the production crew are planning to try and retain the spirit of the book and avoid trying to give Conan a character arc.

Hopefully it'll turn out well.

@jrs

tl;dr

:P

Oopps - sorry about the links guys. I thought they would take you to the public page of IMDB.
My bad. Should work now.

I really like John Milius. Conan The Barbarian is one of my favorite fantasy pieces. One thing I like about the movie is the intro - where Conan is told about steel, his father forges the sword, mother wraps the hilt. Very cool. Looks real nice. This segment is maybe my favorite intro credtid sequence in film.

I also like the giant wheel - Ron Cobb designed that wheel. Its purpose is to show how Conan built his strength and how he is a naive and pure individual who has a blank mind ready to fill (with only one strong memory to guide him) and a strong body ready to rock. He is then turned into a killing machine.

You could just drop into a story, like the Conan shorts, and just give an adeventure. But in a movie, people like a set up. Most people have never read a Conan story - i.e. the need for the set up.

John Milus adapted the script by Oliver Stone, and I thought they did a pretty good job.

I consider the original Conan one of the best fantansy films of all time (maybe the best). I found some very strong human elements to the film. That is John's directing. Fantasy genre films almost never have heart. John Milius gave Conan heart.

The second Conan movie was garbage. Arnold had too many lines and the production value was a joke. Story sucked big time.

John Milius = Rome (TV series) - Writer (22 episodes, 2005-2007), Executive Producer (14 episodes, 2005-2007),

John's new project is Aztec (TV series, I am guessing HBO). Should be interesting.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I dont want another Conan. The orginial is amazing becuase of it's sheer cheese and 1080s charm. I think another one would just be dissapointing in that sort of respect.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Looks like they are going back to Howards Source material for the upcoming Conan reboot.

What are your thoughts on the previous Conan films? What did you like or dislike?
The original “Conan” movie was written by two master storytellers, Oliver Stone and John Milius, giving us a tough act to follow! Their movie also features the best beheading ever in a major motion picture. Besides, perhaps “Let the Right One In”, which is another perfect example of creativity over special effects.
Like all movies they have to be understood in the context of the time they were produced. Our collective consciousness changes every generation, though and we can’t step into the same river twice. “Conan the Barbarian” was initially released in the disco era, on the heels of “Star Wars” and “The Empire Strikes Back”. The original film must have hit people like a freight train upon its release. Today is a different time entirely. As a society, we are more cynical in times of depression. We have been overfed with high gloss and contrived CG imagery and seek something we can grasp. As our consciousness has shifted, so will the image of Conan.
What guidelines for the actor who portrays Conan would you give to your casting director?
We’re not interested in doing an Arnold look-alike contest!
What are your thoughts on the REH themes (“barbarism vs civilization” and “existentialism”)
As I already said, we are all getting a little fed up with our own civilization. I’m guilty of several remakes, but am fully aware that a remake of great material does not automatically equal success. A movie like this needs to hit the zeitgeist.
In all of my movies, I am drawn to tribal behavior since I grow easily bored with the antiseptic world in which we live. I like to give people a second hand idea of what its like to have dirt under your fingernails. Most of all, I like getting dirt under my nails making it! I want to create a cathartic experience!
Read teh complete interview here
On Wikipedia, Conan is described as:

Conan has "sullen" or "smoldering" blue eyes and a black "square-cut mane". Howard once describes him as having a hairy chest and, while comic book interpretations often portray Conan as wearing a loincloth or other minimalist clothing, Howard describes the character as wearing whatever garb is typical for the land and culture in which Conan finds himself. Though Howard never gave a strict height or weight for Conan in a story, only describing him in loose terms like "giant" and "massive", he did once state that Conan and another of Howard's characters, the crusader Cormac Fitzgeoffrey, were "physical doubles" at 6'2" and 210 lb (188 cm and 95 kg, a description of Howard's own height and weight). In the tales no human is ever described as stronger than Conan, although several are mentioned as taller (such as the strangler Baal-pteor) or of larger bulk. In a letter to P. Schuyler Miller and John D. Clark in 1936 only three months before Howard's death, Conan is described as standing 6 feet and weighing 180 pounds when he takes part in an attack on Venarium at only 15 years old, though being far from fully grown. Although Conan is muscular, Howard frequently compares his agility and way of moving to that of a panther (see for instance "Jewels of Gwahlur," "Beyond the Black River" or "Rogues in the House"). His skin is frequently characterized as bronzed from constant exposure to the sun. In his younger years, he is often depicted wearing a light chain shirt and a horned helmet, though appearances vary with different artists.

Semper Fooey
Just as the Sidney Paget drawings became Sherlock Holmes despite Conan Doyle's criticisms, Conan the Barbarian has become the Frank Frazetta paperback covers and if the new movie doesn't look like him (Schwarzenegger did), the customers will be disappointed.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I saw an article in this months Empire magizine about Conan,

New Look At Conan In Action

With the Bulgarian shoot now wrapped on Marcus Nispel's Conan, we've had our first look at Conan at rest, taking a no-doubt well-earned break from his pitiless quest for vengeance against the men who killed his dad.

And - lo! - here he is back in action, a bloodied Jason Momoa wielding the sword against one of the Hyborian age's legion of badasses, mustering enough steel-eyed intensity in the process to keep the Conan purist happy.

He'll need it. The new Conan is all-action and the barbarian's quest puts him up against Stephen Lang's Khalar Zym, a man unencumbered by boring stuff like conscience or morals. He is, as Lang says, "a mother****er". Says Lang: "Conan is 28 years younger than me and a big dude, so I have to depend upon my wolf-like wiles to defeat this young bull."

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I predict the next Conan will be some ex wrestler.
you mean the next one after the one where i posted photos of??

I'm confused.

back to the original for a sec, thought you mofo's might get enjoy what Oliver Stones' original vision was when he wrote teh screenplay.
The first draft I wrote, I always undertook it as one of twelve. I always thought there would be twelve movies! But, unfortunately, I feel the producers of the movie misunderstood the real gold and they sold it short. Arnold [Schwarzenegger] should have come back every year or two years like James Bond, and done one.

Conan is the classical story by excellence. I much liked the idea that he had been a slave, had suffered and managed to rise. What is great in the Howard's novels is that Conan passes from the stage of peasant to that of a king. A young peasant gains his royalty through a series of tests and marry with one of the most beautiful society women. In my script, which concentrates several stories of Howard, Conan saves the life of one princess to whom one stole his kingdom. At the end of the film, after having reconquered her throne thanks to his assistance, she offers her hand in marriage to him so that he becomes king. But Conan refuses this honor. He indeed considers not to have still traversed sufficient way to reach such a load. He tells her: "I can't be a king this way, as your husband. I can't inherit the throne. I will earn my throne." So, he leaves her, like Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood at the end of their westerns, with the sunset in the background. And he goes riding off to the second adventure, which was supposed to be the follow-up sequel. If they'd done it my way, they would have had a Bond-type series, 12-13 pictures, which is what I had wanted to do. It really was a formidable story, very mythical, the one of a young foreigner who makes the Good and who gets to the top of the pyramid.

I could not have made CONAN: it was a too big, much debated and very politicized project. At the time, the average budget of a movie in Hollywood was $8 million and I was more confortable with working on lower budgets.

I do not like the studios policy. They try to say to you what you must do, they do not pay attention to what you want to make. My problem is that I write ambitious scripts that require big budgets to be filmed. And, for CONAN, I had let myself be carried away.

My original draft was a $40 million movie. It dealt with the takeover of the planet and the forces of life being threatened by the forces of darkness. The mutant armies were taking over, and Conan was the lonely pagan - as opposed to Christian - hero; he was Roland at the pass, he was Tarzan, he was a mythic figure.
Complete Interview
http://conancompletist.com/EN/stone.htm

link to his 1st draft (1978)(pdf)
http://www.conancompletist.com/gift/Stone_1stDraft.pdf

Semper Fooey
If you have photos posted on #13 all I see is red xs and hitting show picture doesn't do anything.

n3wt's pic I see.