The Pledge

→ in
Tools    

What about The Pledge doesn't make sense to you? It was one of my favorite films last year, saw it twice in the theater, many more times on DVD, so I could probably clear up any confusion - or at least give it a shot.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well what specifically didn't you understand? Just a simple "whodunit?" or something more abstract? I'll be happy to (try and) explain either or both.

You should probably encase your question in spoiler tags, or even start a brand new thread devoted to The Pledge alone.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Yes, but do so in the Movie Review section, of course.

In fact, I think a thread is already started on it.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Spud I found a really old thread devoted to The Pledge, but it had zero responses (the spoilers aren't covered, as it predates this webboard software), and it was a member I don't even recognize as a regular poster now. If JRS wants to start a brand new one, I say go for it.

Or at least use spoiler tags here.

OK, I'll start with the easy part of The Pledge, the whodunit? element...

WARNING: "The Pledge" spoilers below

The identity of the killer is really very secondary to the emotional and psychological aspects of the Nicholson character, but if the use of the genre frame has you so curious you must know...

THE KILLER, the so-called Wizard, is a man we see only very briefly in the middle of the film. The first time Jerry Black (Nicholson) goes to interview the dead girl's grandmother (Vanessa Redgrave) he stops first at a Christmas-themed shop arond the corner, asking for directions. A female retarted clerk approaches him when he enters, but in the background is a man who we barely see. This is the killer. We know he's the killer because he has the stash of those procupine-shaped candies, seen later in the movie.

Jerry's plan of using the little girl for bait would have worked, as this man who worked in the Christmas store was on his way to that secluded picnic area. Unfortunately for Jerry, this man is killed in a fatal car accident on the way there, leaving former-Detective Black with a nagging obsession, a riddle that has no answer, the loss of whatever respect his former co-workers had for him, and the destruction of the loving family unit that he had formed with the girl and her mother. The answer is there for the audience, the killer is revealed, but as it isn't the point of The Pledge it isn't revealed in an obvious and pedestrian way. You have to be paying close attention, but the killer is definitely identified.

The creepy preacher (Tom Noonan) was nothing but a classic red herring in the plot, and on a larger level he is an example of Jerry's suspicious obsessions beginning to spin wildly out of control.

Does that clear up at least some of what you were scratching your head over in The Pledge, JRS?

This is a very old thread, but figured I'd dredge it up instead of starting a new one.

I just saw The Pledge, inspired by Roger Ebert's favorite films list. I'd been meaning to watch it for a while and his list gave me the impetus to do so.

Although at first the film seems to be framed as a detective mystery drama, by the end I'm in agreement with the above poster who says the solution to the mystery itself is not of prime importance.

The film is a study in aging, obsession, post-traumatic stress disorder, among other themes. And the script and Sean Penn's direction masterfully weaves the whodunnit plot through these themes to keep the drama and suspense taut throughout the film.

Appearing in almost every scene, Jack Nicholson notches up yet another superb performance. In contrast to many of his famous roles that are marked by boisterousness and outlandishness, his role here as Jerry Black is characterized by restraint - despite the whirlpool of thoughts and emotions always threatening to boil over onto the surface.

In addition to Nicholson, Sean Penn gathered an outstanding supporting cast - the movie is replete with great cameos, including Benicio del Toro, Vanessa Redgrave, Harry Dean Stanton, Sam Shepherd and Helen Mirren, and an excellent supporting performance from Robin Wright Penn.

Mostly set in rural Nevada (but not necessarily filmed there), the film contains beautiful cinematography and Sean Penn does a fantastic job at having the imagery complement and inform the film's mood.

Sean Penn's career output as an actor is far more prolific than as a director. There are many films in which his acting has been tremendous, but I've also been truly impressed by his directing of Into the Wild and now The Pledge. (I've yet to see The Crossing Guard.)

8.5/10

Saw this one too long ago. Obviously it didn't stick with me for some reason. But I love Nicholson, maybe I'll give it another go. Thanks for the review.

Bailed out of this movie yesterday. So boring & Benecio del Toro in a grotesque wig was the last straw for me.