Minority Report Teaser

Tools    

Guy
This one looked interesting. Not enough to really get an impression but it looks (literally) kind of like A.I. (same cinematographer). I hope this one is entertaining which is what Spielburg does best. He's trying to make more serious films these days when I think he does adventure / sci-fi the best

Guy
I meant to say his best work (IMO) is his adventure / sci-fi -- ET, Jaws, JP, Indiana Jones', and hopefully the minority report

Just edit your post next time. And yeah, this looks quite good. It's quite obvious that Spielberg is trying to make philosophically-driven movies that are, at the same time, very visual. The premise here is interesting...here's hoping that the way they explain it sounds plausible.

Minority Report is based on a Philip K. Dick story. As a rabid P.K. Dick devotee, that's what interests me most. I don't have a whole lot of faith in Stevie Spielberg, especially after A.I., but we'll see.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm assuming this distaste for "A.I" is because of being a rabid Kubrick follower and admirer, Holden?

If so, then I must agree with you. There were so many chances for Speilberg to REALLY take the story and make it a real homage/tribute to Kubrick, but it all came back to Speilberg's sentimental obsession with the an orphan seperated from a family. I mean, it's very touching, but when you're making a film that a genius like Kubrick worked on for over 30 years of his life, it's just not cricket.

Minority Report:
I'll look in to it.
There, on topic.

I saw very little of Kubrick in A.I., but beyond whatever might-have-been scenarios I can imagine had Stanley lived and actually directed the movie, I just plain don't like how Spielberg handled the story.

HERE is an older thread where some of us got into an A.I. discussion.

I'm no Kubrick fan, so I don't know if I'd have liked him doing "A.I." in more of his own way, but I have to imagine I would've preferred it over Spielberg's version...which felt very patchy to me. "Missed opportunity" is the phrase that I keep thinking of. Apparently Kubrick wanted Spielberg involved, but yes, I imagine we can assume that the ending would have been different if they had both worked on it, together.

Anyway, back on topic: this movie, I think, shows Spielberg's clear trend away from raw action...not counting his role as producer in, say, JP3. I'll definitely see this one in the theater, unless I hear highly negative things about it beforehand.

I saw this teaser on television today and it looks interesting. Some kinda future police kinda thing. A cross between the One and Timecop!? Something like that...

Yeah, sort of. In short: in the future, they can charge people for crimes they were going to commit, even if it hasn't happened yet. The twist? Cruise's character shows up as going to kill someone down the line, and, of course, he's gotta run. To be honest, I got a major "A.I." vibe off of the trailer. I mean big time. Almost paranormal-like.

I was just going to post a thread on this but I had a look for it first and found this puppy of a thread okay here's the thing I was watching FOTR yesterday and this came on at the beginning of the movie.

I hadn't seen the trailer for it and I was like what's this all this stuff was going on and the first thing that popped to my head was a remake of Logun's Run because they didn;t mention the name of the movie till the end of the trailer. Have any of you Guys & Gals watched Logun's Run Did it remind any of you of it.

I'm hype on this movie it looks great.

I LOVE speilberg and dont mind Cruise, so this is really exciting for me, cant wait for the summer!
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I'm sorry guys, there's not a trace of pure Kubrick in A.I. It's Spielberg's movie, and apart from a few obvious visual homages, I don't know what the big deal is about. It's Spielberg's serious side and his little boy side meeting each other, and I think everyone's problem with it is that it didn't immediately live in to what they think a Steven Spielberg movie should be. The effect is jarring (but ultimately brilliant).

Kubrick only had a vague idea about the actual story of A.I. Spielberg came up with the story on his own. Kubrick didn't have anything to do with the script. Everybody wants to see A.I. as something it wasn't, when they're ignoring what it really was. Everyone just wants to look at what the movie didn't do, and they just look past its strengths. It's not fair. I hope more people recognize this movie as the masterpiece it is sometime in the future.

Anyway, I'm really excited about this movie. The trailer is awesome, Cruise has been terrific recently, and the visuals look amazing. It looks hella fun, I can't wait.

neither kubrick nor Speilberg were in on the story, its based off a short story by brain aldiss. But Speilberg wrote the screenplay. they gave kubrick credit for the "concept" of AI, im not sure exacly what that is, i hated the movie. I loved Jude law though

Masterpiece? I can't agree...not even close. The movie should've ended earlier than it did...and some of the things about it made little sense. It was REALLY stupid in some respects. I made, c'mon, Steve: do you really buy that ending? Are you telling me you didn't think it was kind of ridiculous?

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Masterpiece? I can't agree...not even close. The movie should've ended earlier than it did...and some of the things about it made little sense. It was REALLY stupid in some respects. I made, c'mon, Steve: do you really buy that ending? Are you telling me you didn't think it was kind of ridiculous?
What do you mean by ridiculous? As in, it's not believable? B/c if that's the case, maybe you shouldn't have been watching a sci-fi flick. I'm sorry, I don't see what's stupid about it at all. So, yes. I buy it.

Sci-fi flicks can still be outrageous. Showing you some things that seem beyond belief does not mean anything is fair game. Some things are "cheating," ya know what I mean? If, in a movie, someone goes forward and time and shoots some bad guy in the head, and they bring him back for the climax, alive and well, and then go "It's the year 3000 -- didn't you realize medical science can heal a bullet to the head easily?," that's just unfair to the audience. You still need to have a level of plausibility. If "Planet of the Apes" ended with a bunch of giant humanoid lizards running around, would you really say it wasn't ridiculous, because the movie is of the sci-fi genre?

A.I. WAS ridiculous.

WARNING: "A.I.: Artificial Intelligence" spoilers below
How exactly do you reproduce a person's memory and mother-flippin' hair style, as well as their entire brain structure, with a strand of hair? Oh yeah, they're robots in the future, so they can do anything. And what about the doctor leaving him alone while he goes to get his colleagues? Sha', right! The ending was junk...it should've ended with him committing suicide, or sitting at the bottom of the ocean. Sad, but it would've made a lot more sense. If they just HAD to show him with that little happy, unrealistic ending of his, they should've have shown us the robots, either. And why would one of them have a British accent? Did they just have to pick a voice, or what? Showing us robots thousands of years from now is something they shouldn't have even attempted.

AI = the most debated film of the year.

It's not a masterpiece but it could have been. I honestly believe that if that LAST HALF HOUR (Oh how I hated it) had been cut, if we had been left with David wishing to be a boy for eternity the film would be one of the best of the year, one of the best from Spielberg. It would have been such a wickedly wrong ending.

But Spielberg is a safe guy. Commercial appeal is a major inititative in his projects. And sentimentality equals box office. Just not in AI's case. Even Schindler's List had a sentimental ending.

I'm still going to buy it on DVD though. I'm just not going to watch those last few chapters.

And to Minority Report. Spielberg's work is always interesting but this sounds like a typical action movie idea. Hopefully it takes us somewhere we've never been, like AI did.