Thir13en Ghosts

→ in
Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
WARNING: "Thir13en Ghosts" spoilers below
Ok, I found this movie to be a little over the normal for a horror flick. I rank some of the scenes up there with "The Cell". I mean there was some pretty graphic scenes to this, and some very dazzling effects.

The breakdown:

Uncle Cyrus(F. Murray Abraham) collects ghosts, in fact as the movie opens, that's what he is in the process of doing. He has a team of people helping him, and in this team is a pshyic(Matthew Lillard) who is foggy on the reason why this guy wants these ghosts, all he knows is that there is money involved. This ghost they are in the process of catching is a killer, and butchers the team of "ghostbusters" while one team member gets trapped in the cube that holds the ghost. One thing leads to another and Uncle Cyrus gets killed trying to capture the thirteenth ghost.

Enter Uncle Cyrus' nephew(Tony Shalhoub), who has no idea why his Uncle Cyrus, who he has only talked to twice, is leaving everything to him. Cyrus gives his nephew the key to his house, which was a very spectacular set if I might say so. So Arthur moves his daughter, son, nanny, into this house not aware of what his uncle did, or why this house is so bizarre(latin writing on walls, walls made out of glass). Cyrus' lawyer takes them to the house and they arrive with a "utility worker"(Lillard) trying to get in, giving a lousy excuse for why he's there. Arthur(Shalhoub) pops the key in the slot, and odd things start to happen, a minute goes by maybe, and the doors begin to open. When the key was turned it started a clock, which powered the house up. Now, they're all shocked and amazed at this house, while Lillard's character is trying to find the basement(where a rumored lump sum of money is stashed).

Now, we all know how lawyers are(well some of us), they like to get business done and get out. So naturally the lawyer is rushing Arthur to sign the papers, and while this is going on, Rafkin(Lillard) is stumbling around the basement area looking for the loot. What he doesn't realize is this is where all the ghosts he help catch are stashed. Each in their own cell, and all wanting Rafkin's attention, if you forgot, he's the psychic. Rafkin pulls out his glasses that allow him to see the spirits, and he is starting to figure things out. Soon as he realizes what he has come across he rushes back up to get the attention of Arthur who, of course, is a skeptic when it comes to ghosts.

While Rafkin is explaining himself to Arthur the lawyer disapears downstairs in search of the money, and low and behold, he has his own glasses too. He teases one ghost who is nude, commenting on her breasts, and she then attacks the glass(which is soundproof/shatterproof), he goes right to the money and in taking the money from it's spot sets a machine into swing. Thus releasing the ghost in which he teased. She takes it personally of course. He happens to be standing in the middle of a doorway, so it shuts on him splitting him in two. Back to the machine, it is set to release all 12, yes that's right 12, ghosts so that they can power a eye into hell. So one by one the ghosts are released, but not all at once, there's like a time span in between.

While the family and Rafkin are trying to avoid the ghosts, a person who shows herself in the opening scenes arrives on camera once again, mysteriously though. See, when the lawyer tripped the switch, the house started locking up, much like in 1999's "Haunted Hill". So when asked how she got in, she states that, "I got through an opening while the house was shifting." Shifting...WTF!? The house was sealed in the first place, and it wasn't a transformer or anything, it wasn't turning into a giant foot to smash other houses that were better. So when that line was spouted out, I lost a little credit for this movie.

Oh remember the latin writing on the walls? Those are spells to keep the ghosts trapped in. So if they come to a dead in, or a sealed door, they can't do anything. That's how they were kept locked in the house. Kalina(Embeth Davidtz) is the one who enters upon the shifting and has a book that tells the story behind the machine/house in which they are now trapped. This is when Shalhoub finds out that he is the thirteenth ghost and must throw himself in to destroy the machine when all the other ghosts are in allignment to open this eye. So he takes this a little on the dissapointed side, who wouldn't? He also finds out that the fourth ghost is his wife who had died in a house fire 6 months back. He then attacks Rafkin for not telling, and basically for trapping her in the house.

So now, they are trying to avoid a seriously wicked looking ghost that has railroad spikes through his body, a seriously mental ghost that is hellbent on attacking everyone, a naked knife weilding girl, a child with an arrow through his head, a fat guy and his momma(no joke), and a torso wrapped up in reynolds wrap(well that's what it looked like). I know if you count those up, that isn't 12, but I left out some because these were the ones I could remember well.

This last part I'm going to leave out, because everyone hates it when the ending is given away. So I'll leave the ending up to you.

I give it a C+, only because it lacked in places it needed some stability. Story was decent, basic horror cliche, but still lacked. Cast, was ok. Effects, excellent, as was makeup. It's worth a peak, I mean it has shock factor in it.
[Edited by spdrcr on 10-26-2001]
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

ARGH, spoilers notice! You may not have given the final bit away (whatever it is), but I still know more than I want to...about who the 13th ghost is, and his wife, and all that. D*mn, I really wanted to go in fairly fresh here.

Now With Moveable Parts
Ha! C+ ! I should of bet someone it wouldn't get above a C+

Does that make you feel better???

Now, TWT, if you're reading a review for it, not seeing it yet, what are you not expecting to see here. COME ON...OF COURSE THERE'S GONNA BE A SPOILER OR TWO!!!

Common sense pays off in this forum buddy.

Info and spoilers are two different things. IMO, a review is mostly there to let you know if it's worth seeing...and discuss the film a bit as well...but heck, some of that seemed pretty major...that is unless, of course, the last bit you didn't reveal is actually a major twist that makes the others look pointless in comparison...because then it wouldn't matter as much...however, something like the identity of the 13th Ghost seems like a big deal to me...

Well, basically a spirit of pure love or something like that could be the 13th ghost....if that tells you anything. Yes, there is a twist at the end.

Whoa, was this movie dumber than a box of rocks. Man, I feel like someone was driving a jackhammer into my eardrum straight through to my brain for the entire running length. It made me jump a couple times, but that may be because everything that happens is accompanied by a deep bass note on the soundtrack that you feel in your seat. There's a lot of fast editing in the movie too, it looks like it was fed through a paper shredder. It was hard to see what was going on. My friend was terrified though. She said she was going to have nightmares. Maybe girls will be freaked out by this movie, I don't know.

You have to admit though steve, the makeup for the ghosts..apart from the 4th, was well done. Especially, the jackal, and the hammer.

Now With Moveable Parts
I hate scary movies. I have to admit. Some stuff is just too much for me. 13ghosts sounds exactly like the kind of movie that would scare the tar out of me. I think I mentioned before about the special effects that really get me. I don't like when things move all fast and sped up. Like in House on Haunted Hill. Or that scene in the Gift...with the fiddle playing all fast and sped up. Someone told me that 13 ghosts had a bunch of creepy special effects like that. Yikes. Not for me. I'm glad nobody said it was really good...no sense getting all creeped out for a C+ rated movie. Spud...does what make me feel better? The fact that I can say," told ya so!" or that the movie itself got a C+ rating from you and others?

Originally posted by spdrcr
You have to admit though steve, the makeup for the ghosts..apart from the 4th, was well done. Especially, the jackal, and the hammer.
Oh, I openly admit this. Technically, the movie was very good, the set in particular is amazing. I just didn't think it delivered otherwise.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by spdrcr
Oh, that was directed towards TWT...he threw a fit because I didn't put the spoiler notice in there. Silly me..
Oh...okay. Well...just for the record, I do like saying," I told ya so!"

Well I liked it, it was entertaining none the less, but it had a little lacking in the places it needed it. I said it before, I'll say it again, the set was amazing. I mean it had to be impossible to find your way around the place, doors opening and shutting all over the place.

One thing that I could never figure out. What was used in the glasses that made the wearer capable of seeing the ghosts? That had to be some sort of incentive for the director or someone behind the flick to throw in. I guess nobody would be able to understand why they were catching ghosts they couldn't see.

The fact that Lillard was a pshyic in this made it a little more bearable to watch. If he was just some goofy tag along(Kattan, Haunted Hill), then it would have been something of a different tune.

F. Murray Abraham, was real creepy in this movie. They captured that real well. like I said, makeup and effects were well done on this, but it could have been so much better.

I find something funny about what TWT said in the New Release forum about this movie. Something to the tune of, "...since it's rated r for nudity it probably won't be Shannon Elizabeth like most of you guys are wanting, but probably a ghost..." Way to call it TWT.

TWT, regarding the email you sent me, no they don't just escape, I'm not going to say what happens, but they don't escape.
[Edited by spdrcr on 10-29-2001]

Actually, I did read about that: the original flick provided the moviegoers with little glasses that would allow THEM to see the ghosts on screen...yet another William Castle gimmick (the guy is famous for them. Apparently the movie "Matinee" was inspired by him. One such stunt involved taking out a $1 million insurance policy in case anyone died of fright during one of his movies). Silver and Zemeckis, I read, decided that they needed to keep the glasses in there SOMEWHERE, and since it wasn't really plausible to hand them out to everyone and achieve the same effect, they just had the characters wear them.

Actually, in the new version, the only two characters with glasses from the get-go are the lawyer, and rafkin. In each room the glasses are laying in a spot visible, but not where you could walk by and not see them. The young boy finds his first, and notices that the walls and floors with the writing on them are glowing around the words. He is the only one that actually uses his own pair. The rest borrow, and use the glasses of the person that comes up missing.

I didn't think it was that scary. I give it a C-
The problem with these "group of people in a haunted house" type things is we already know the secondary characters are gonna die and the hero will live. Most of the scary stuff in this film happened to the main guy and he's not gonna die. (or is he?) The ghosts were horribly scary looking I'll say that. The part with the glasses was strange, at first I thought if you didn't wear the glasses the ghosts wouldn't get you, it was slightly confusing. I think that little kid's fascination with all things morbid was more disturbing than the movie. Was he that way in the original or did they just write him that way for comic effect this time? I think the original intention of the glass house was so the audience wouldn't know if a ghost was gonna get someone or if a spell glass was going to stop the ghost since the glass is see through. The glass house wasn't really used to it's full potential, saving someone at the last second, or trapping someone just when we thought they had escaped.

Huh? What's that you say? This is about 2 months too late? I know, I just saw the movie last night.

How did you see it last night??? A theater still playing it??? Or did you get it off of the web???

Ghosts were spooky, house wasn't used to it's full potential, but it was a bada*s house.

That torso thing was the stuff of serial killers nightmares!
Yeah, that house was cool. I would live there if it wasn't full of ghosts. I saw it on the tiny wee screen. (Internet) But I'll probably rent it when it comes out. I couldn't see very well. What was the point of that guy being psychic?

Didn't see it.
I thought the movie was OK, but I'm really tired of Matthew Lillard. His acting is too over the top.

Originally posted by Sunfrogolin
What was the point of that guy being psychic?
He was used by the guy who built the house to find the ghosts. They then used the glasses to track him down.