King of New York

Tools    

King of New York seems to be the forgotten "gangster movie." Is Goodfellas that much better?

Yes, Goodfellas is good but so is King of New York and it's rarely mentioned in the same breath.

I'd like to see a shootout between DeNiro/Pesci and Walken/Fishburne.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

WE COME IN PEACE AND WITH GOODWIL
King of New York goes down as one of my top ten movies of all time! That scene when Walken looks straight into the camera and the twicks his head with ever the slightest little smirk is golden. It realy defines his character in the remainder of the movie!!

Originally Posted by Twain
King of New York seems to be the forgotten "gangster movie." Is Goodfellas that much better?

Yes, GoodFellas is that much better. And then some. Scorsese's film is rooted in reality, while Ferrara's is a stylized fantasy. King of New York works fine for what it is, and it was probably unfairly ignored by too many upon its release. But the pendulum has swung back too far the other way. It's a decent flick with a good Walken performance and a rogue's gallery of a supporting cast, but this idea that it's some kind of negelcted masterpiece is just silly. It was so underrated initially that it has become overrated in compensation.

I've owned King of New York on DVD for years, then even bought it again to upgrade to the special edition. It's a good little movie. But it's no GoodFellas. Not even close.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Theres Goodfellas and The Godfather, then every other gangster movie. King of New York is a good movie and Walken really shines in it, but you can't put it in the same atmosphere as Goodfellas. I rank it about the same as Scarface.