Your fav Frat Pack member?

Tools    

Here to support the villians.......
Empire magazine are doing a poll about different centuries and mentioned the Frat Pack. So I was wondering who your favourite Frat Pack member was?, there best movies in your opinion, just everything you like about them.

Frat pack members:
Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Jack Black, Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn

My Fav:

Well my favourite is Vince Vaughn, absolutely love the dude. He just seems to be able to play his parts so casually yet still steal the scene.
My fav movies of his are Swingers, Starsky and Hutch and Dodgeball, he's also ace in Mr and Mrs Smith.
And Wedding Crashers with Owen wilson is going to be the funniest movie this year.

So who is your fav Frat Pack member?

I don't think this "frat pack" tag will stick. Hope not anyway.

Owen Wilson always makes me laugh, and in Hampton Fancher's The Minus Man he showed he can do much more than comedy. But most crucially for me he's a great screenwriter, having co-written Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums with Wes Anderson. THAT is damned impressive. He'd have to be my favorite on the scripts alone: they're brilliant.

Jack Black would be a close second. I've loved him since "Mr. Show with Bob & David" and of course he and K.G. in Tenacious D (plus "HeatVision & Jack" could have been so great, speaking of Owen Wilson). But on the big screen he's had only a few good movies and two of 'em he's only a highlighted supporting player (High Fidelity, School of Rock, Orange County) while the others so far have been anywhere from tepid to downright horrible (Shallow Hal, Saving Silverman, Envy, Shark Tale). Even in the worst movie, just by virtue of Jack being on screen he's usually good for a few laughs. But he's got to find better material. He'll be fine in Pete Jackson's King Kong, but what I'm really looking forward to is the long-awaited Tenacious D movie.

But I like all six of those guys, [stupid] label or not, though Luke gets the least to do and unlike the other five is pretty well restricted to straight-man roles so he doesn't have the opportunity to dazzle like all the others can.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Jack Black, he reminds me a little of Belushi, who was the King of Frat!!!
" Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour? "
" Toga, Toga, Toooooooooga! "

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I'm a bit puzzled by the label as well. These guys are mostly my age.
They desperately needed something that rhymed with "rat" again, as the "Brat Pack" had in the '80s. Since three of those six guys were in Old School...tah-dah.

It's a stupid label, and I don't expect it'll stick beyond that article. And now this thread.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
They desperately needed something that rhymed with "rat" again, as the "Brat Pack" had in the '80s. Since three of those six guys were in Old School...tah-dah.

It's a stupid label, and I don't expect it'll stick beyond that article. And now this thread.

Miaaaaaow! Get those claws in Holden.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Jack Black

The man has a certain versatility that these other actors don't have. He can be serious (Enemy of the state) or he can be really really funny (High Fidelity) He has wit and and an odd sense of charm, which makes him my favorite.

The Frat Pack guys are some of the most likable actors in comedy out there right now. They have uncommonly fantastic chemistry with one another, and their movies are normally very fun. Picking a favorite is difficult, since they all have different strengths and weaknesses, but I guess its a tie between Jack Black and Owen Wilson. Wilson's screenwriting work and easy-going charm should sky-rocket him above Black, but I've always liked Black because his sense of humor always made me laugh and he has one of the funniest novelty bands of all time (if not the funniest). Plus, people used to always say that I reminded them of him (I'm still deciding how I feel on that one ). But Will Ferrell could make me laugh killing my favorite aunt with a croquet mallet, Ben Stiller owns the awkward comedy market, and Vince Vaugn is one cool dude.

My Top Three Frat Pack Members:

• Owen Wilson

COMMENTS: Talented screenwriter with great comic timing

BEST FILMS: The Royal Tenenbaums - Rushmore - Zoolander

WORST FILMS: The Big Bounce - Anaconda - Starsky & Hutch

• Ben Stiller

COMMENTS: At his best when he plays his characters straight, rather than over the top.

BEST FILMS: The Royal Tenenbaums - Zoolander - There's Something About Mary

WORST FILMS: Starsky & Hutch - Envy - Duplex

• Jack Black

COMMENTS: The better half of Tenacious D, ridiculously funny.

BEST FILMS: School of Rock - Orange County - High Fidelity

WORST FILMS: Envy - Shallow Hal - Saving Silverman

Jack Black
Jack Black

Okay. Am I the only one here that didn’t want Jackie’s arm blown off in The Jackal (1997)? That was around the time I started to really recognize Black and was already forming an opinion of him that he was a pretty cool dude. Ever since that moment, I’ve come to appreciate his many talents and effortless charm. Jack is my favorite, of this ill named group (I too would hate it if it stuck), mainly for his natural ability to be utterly likable and outrageously funny. Looking at his burgeoning career as a co-star, most of the films he worked on weren’t that bad. High Fidelity (2000) (his breakout performance) is a darn good film, in part, because of his performance. It’s no wonder that steady work came his way soon after in the likes of Saving Silverman (2001), Shallow Hal (2001), and Orange County (2002), which were all pretty decent comedies. Of course, it doesn’t hurt when you have co-stars like Steve Zahn and Gwyneth Paltrow. When given the opportunity to carry a film completely on his own, he really stepped up to the plate and delivered. The School of Rock (2003) is a gas. I couldn’t believe how hilarious a movie could be that was centered around kids and a somewhat cheesy premise. Treating the script, audience, and the kids with respect made this movie one of the greatest of its kind. I expect to love King Kong, and assume that Jackie’s going to deliver once again. I also have faith in Peter Jackson to treat this cherished story as lovingly as he did The Lord of the Rings. So yeah, Black’s cool.

Luke Wilson
Luke Wilson

It’s odd even to me, that Luke is so high on my list. I guess it’s more his personality than anything else. He’s quiet and reserved by nature, but also outwardly charismatic and obviously intelligent. I haven’t exactly liked many of the films he’s had minor parts or shared billing in; Home Fries (1998), My Dog Skip (2000), and Charlie's Angels (2000) are about the best of ‘em. I couldn’t stand Blue Streak (1999), but I’ve never been a fan of Martin Lawrence, so that’s why. I still haven’t seen Old School (2003), so I don’t know what kind of part he has in it, or how well he played it. Of course, whenever he is in a Wes Anderson film, he shines. I guess it was when he played Richie in The Royal Tenenbaums (2001), that I really took a shine to him. I literally adore that film, and it’s his character that I chiefly relate to and like the most. It’s been since then that I’ve liked him as much as I do. Personally, I thought he would have been perfectly cast as the new Superman. He has that strong jaw, which Superman is supposed to have, and he has the innate ability of being soft spoken; the strong silent type, and thoughtful. And you know that the Owen brothers can beef up if they need to. Alas, he wasn’t even considered. Boo Hollywood. Hiss…

Vince Vaughn
Vince Vaughn

Manic, loud, obnoxious, witty, and very funny, Vince has an appeal that is as unique as it is captivating. I liked him in Rudy (1993), and recognized him from then on. I saw him on the cover of Swingers (1996) when it was a new release, immediately rented it, loved it, and then purchased it. Vaughn has a way of making all attention focus on him when he’s on the screen. It’s almost impossible to look away from what he’s doing, at least in the roles where he’s most like himself. Swingers, Clay Pigeons (1998), and Made (2001), are all my favorite. In all of these films, he’s allowed to be himself where he just takes over. Return to Paradise (1998) was a pretty good movie, and he did extremely well as the man haunted with guilt and fear. It was a good sign of his abilities. He did well in the Psycho (1998) remake, but I couldn’t get into it being a true life doppelganger of the original. Too much Déjà Vu for my taste. I haven’t seen any of his films between Made and Starsky & Hutch (2004), so I can’t comment on them, but Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) was great. Yet, I have always been curious what the film would have been like if he and Stiller had switched roles. It’s Vince’s outrageous behavior that I like the most. I hope that he has more opportunities in the future to let it all hang out. I hope he’s a real @sshole.

Owen Wilson
Owen Wilson

I respect Owen’s enormous talent in screenwriting, especially since he helped write two of my favorite films; Rushmore (1998) and The Royal Tenenbaums. Yet, there’s just something about him that doesn’t appeal to me as much as the three higher up on my list. His slow drawl and unique brand of wit is often funny, but it’s just not my type of cool. His brother is more my speed, but oh well. Happily, it doesn’t make me not like him. His initial effort with writing and co-starring in Bottle Rocket (1996) showed a lot of promise right out of the starting gate, and made him a personality hard to forget. His next two roles in Anaconda (1997) and Armageddon (1998) were pretty standard stuff, but I was a little afraid that he’d start getting cast as the whiny, comic relief, type character. I was relieved to see that would never happen to him once The Minus Man (1999) was released on video. In it, he takes on a more sinister guise which actually works well with his personality. Shanghai Noon (2000) and Shanghai Knights (2003) are both fun, the latter being the better of the two, and he played a very good role in the off balance The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004). I haven’t had the chance to see much of anything else he’s been in other than The Haunting (1999), Meet the Parents (2000), Behind Enemy Lines (2001), and The Big Bounce (2004). None of these films are very impressive, but he doesn’t do a bad job in any of them. I just hope he continues to write with Wes. I could dig that.

Will Ferrell
Will Ferrell

I liked Will from his many different personas on Saturday Night Live; there was never a problem of not recognizing him after that, so when he had his small role in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997), I could expect that he was there to be funny; and he was humorous, nothing too special. Good ‘ol Will didn’t let me down. What a swell guy. When he and Chris Kattan, released A Night at the Roxbury (1998), I thought it was comical. Certainly not a perfect comedy, but still pretty good. And that’s about what I felt about everything (performance-wise) he was in until I saw both Elf (2003) and Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004). Elf is friggin’ side-splittingly funny (up until the last 10-15 minutes or so), and as Ron Burgundy, Ferrell leveled me with some of the best one liners I’d heard in ages. I went to see Melinda and Melinda (2004) when it was in the theater a while back. Will did an almost eerie impersonation of Allen, but it would slip out sometimes and he’d be back to being regular ‘ol Will Ferrell. He was pretty good in the film, but it wasn’t all that special either. Man, I need to get off my ass and see Starsky & Hutch, this is ridiculous.

Ben Stiller]
Ben Stiller

The problem I have with Stiller is that he has played in too many disappointments. That’s the only explanation I can think of for why he’s at the bottom of my list. I mean, c’mon…he’s definitely cooler than Ferrell, but there it is. I remember renting Reality Bites (1994) back when it first came out on video because Ethan Hawke was on the cover, and I really liked him from Alive (1993). I remember renting it, but that’s it, so I can only assume it made quite the impression. I didn’t see anything memorable with Ben until both Zero Effect (1998) (really cool, but mainly because it's Bill Pullman's best role to date) and There's Something About Mary (1998) were released to video. Mary I found incredibly funny at its peak gags, but it fell flat sometimes making it not as great as it could have been. Still, I wouldn’t give up Matt Dillon saying, “Those goofy bastards…” for anything. Mystery Men (1999) came to video and I was extremely disappointed (since then it has sort of grown on me) and Keeping the Faith (2000) didn’t do much for me back when it was new either, but I haven’t seen it since then, so who knows? Maybe it could grow on me. I can’t stand Meet the Parents (2000), though it’s no the fault of Stiller’s, it’s just that I hate the story…everything about it really. I refuse to see Meet the Fockers (2004), even though Dustin Hoffman, my favorite actor, is in it…just because it’s the same crappy writers involved. His best performance to date is easily Chas, the workaholic worrier from The Royal Tenenbaums, and both Envy (2004) and Dodgeball were well done by Stiller, the latter being the much better role. I have recently seen Your Friends & Neighbors (1998), which is a very good ensemble film dealing with self-absorbed characters intermingling, cheating, and having random sex with one another. Though Ben does well, the show is stolen by Jason Patric as the heartless womanizer who is constantly on the prowl…and training. I like him quite a bit, but I just don’t get excited if it’s just him carrying a film. If it has good co-stars with him, then I’m more likely to go see it. I guess the bottom is where the bitch belongs.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Jack Black, then Vince Vaughn. Those two guys are hilarious. Maybe they will be in a movie together sometime. I'd go.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Jack Black, then Vince Vaughn. Those two guys are hilarious. Maybe they will be in a movie together sometime. I'd go.
They both have cameo roles in Anchorman, though they're never on the screen together.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
They both have cameo roles in Anchorman, though they're never on the screen together.

"That's the way I roll!!!"
Poor Baxter.

O.K., I'm going to get slated for this, but I find the majority of theses guys one dimensional and not that great.
For me, Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell pretty much play the same character in almost every film.
Owen Wilson- slightly cookie guy with his slow stupid demeanour.
Ben Stiller-neurotic up tight guy always messing things up.
Will Ferrell-over the top delivery of his dumb but loveable guy routine.

I know people aren't going to like this, but IMO none of these guys have any range as an actor, and although I've enjoyed movies that all theses guys have been in, how much longer can they get away with essentially the same roles and jokes?

Still think that Chevy Chase, Bill Murray and Steve Martin are better than all these guys when they were in their most popular phase in the 80's.
Just one man's opinion, tell me what you think people, I can handle it( I promise not to go in a huff and never post again, not mentioning any names S.S)

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
(re: Luke Wilson)
.... I guess it was when he played Richie in The Royal Tenenbaums (2001), that I really took a shine to him. I literally adore that film, and it’s his character that I chiefly relate to and like the most. It’s been since then that I’ve liked him as much as I do...
Have you seen Bottle Rocket, Slay? I think it was his first role, and he's really quite good in it - and it's the central role, if you axe me.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
O.K., I'm going to get slated for this, but I find the majority of theses guys one dimensional and not that great.
For me, Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell pretty much play the same character in almost every film.
Owen Wilson- slightly cookie guy with his slow stupid demeanour.
Ben Stiller-neurotic up tight guy always messing things up.
Will Ferrell-over the top delivery of his dumb but loveable guy routine.

I know people aren't going to like this, but IMO none of these guys have any range as an actor, and although I've enjoyed movies that all theses guys have been in, how much longer can they get away with essentially the same roles and jokes?

Still think that Chevy Chase, Bill Murray and Steve Martin are better than all these guys when they were in their most popular phase in the 80's.
Just one man's opinion, tell me what you think people, I can handle it( I promise not to go in a huff and never post again, not mentioning any names S.S)
I think they can probably get away with it as long as it's entertaining. Cary Grant made a career out of being smoove. Kate Hepburn never played a dope. etc, etc. These guys are pretty one-dimensional, from what I've seen, but in their niches, they make a movie better.

Now stop waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Have you seen Bottle Rocket, Slay? I think it was his first role, and he's really quite good in it - and it's the central role, if you axe me.
You know, it's been so long since I've seen it that I only remember parts of it. I should check it out soon. I want to now especially...all because of you, my dear.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
You know, it's been so long since I've seen it that I only remember parts of it. I should check it out soon. I want to now especially...all because of you, my dear.
You really should check it out again. Its the forgotten child of Wes Anderson's filmography, and while its not as good as its older brothers (or at least Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums- I've yet to see The Life Aquatic), its still a funny, quirky, and original take on heist films. It gets a from this Mofo.

So, your answer to who you like best between Jack Black, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Will Ferrell is to post pics of Saturday Night Live alumni from the 1970's from a site that doesn't allow hyperlinks?

I get it.