Raised by Wolves (Ridley Scott, HBO)

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
AUGH! After reading what you said I looked up on Google and found out its cancelled, no season 3 to come. What a gyp

As HBO does.
Still, it's such a weird ride i can't help but recommend it!

I signed a petition, and yes even donated, to have Raised By Wolves renewed. If anyone else feels the same heres the link

I wont read the thread till I finish season 2 so not sure if its been mentioned before, but the kid that played Campion is the doppelganger of that idiot boy from Game of Thrones.

The thread tracks along as each episode was published for streaming. You SHOULD be able to tell when the 3 of us caught the next episode based on the flow of our chatter. It might be fun to read along as you watch each ep.

It's weird, man. Even if you end up hating it i'd love to read the feedback.

The thread tracks along as each episode was published for streaming. You SHOULD be able to tell when the 3 of us caught the next episode based on the flow of our chatter. It might be fun to read along as you watch each ep.

It's weird, man. Even if you end up hating it i'd love to read the feedback.
Right now Im on season 2 episode 3, and really really enjoy the show. It's truly fresh. The character development is aces, and performances equally so. Other than Travis Fimmel theres no star power to lean on with the series so its just moving forward on great content, like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and The Wire did. Agh! If HBO could have committed to at least as many seasons as The Wire the entire story could have been told. Unless.....unless it was the LOST formula and theyre just making it all up as they go along with no real answers to be had. If that really was the case then Im glad they cancelled it because LOST was a delicious screw-job of the mind. Great ride and then the ends the Big Gyp.

Which makes me loathe to speculate whats going on actually, maybe Id rather not know, or maybe they just cancelled one of the greatest series on TV in past 10 years...

From a website speculating on the shows cancellation...

Raised By Wolves' cancellation is all the more disappointing because its cast and crew were reportedly all set for another season. Along with the news of the show's cancellation, Salim affirmed that "we have a fully fleshed out and planned storyline, a Goliath of a production team behind us, incredible reception from critics and reviewers alike, and most crucially, a community base that is so strong internationally." In an interview (via Collider), showrunner Aaron Guzikowski also confirmed that he has not stopped working on Raised by Wolves' scripts and continues to live in its universe. Yet despite a clear affection for the series from its cast and crew, many other factors determine the fate of a TV show.

https://screenrant.com/raised-by-wol...ed-reason-why/

The Adventure Starts Here!
I find this outrage both fascinating and hilarious. We've spent ten pages of posts here railing against the almost random weirdness of so much of this show, only to find out that there is a rabid fanbase willing to fork over money to keep it going.

Now I'm wondering if I've completely missed the point of this show.

I find this outrage both fascinating and hilarious. We've spent ten pages of posts here railing against the almost random weirdness of so much of this show, only to find out that there is a rabid fanbase willing to fork over money to keep it going.

What was the point of LOST? Everyone was waiting for the big explanation to the dozens of mysteries and it never came, it was just intentional random weirdness. R.B.W. has a 5 season storyline and is written by one writer, the same guy that made the movie Prisoners with Jackman & Gyllenhaal...another show that got me "into my feelings" too. This is all the good things that made me enjoy LOST, but with a definite payout to come.

What was the point of LOST? Everyone was waiting for the big explanation to the dozens of mysteries and it never came, it was just intentional random weirdness. R.B.W. has a 5 season storyline and is written by one writer, the same guy that made the movie Prisoners with Jackman & Gyllenhaal...another show that got me "into my feelings" too. This is all the good things that made me enjoy LOST, but with a definite payout to come.
I dunno about RBW, though. It feels way more random than LOST did at this stage, even if LOST's ultimate ending was a disappointment. With LOST, you could at least enjoy/understand the bits and pieces along the way. With RBW, I have felt, more than once, that I had NO clue what was actually going on unless/until I consulted an outside website/source to explain it to me. (I mean, explain even the details themselves, not theories about the message or theme.)

I dunno about RBW, though. It feels way more random than LOST did at this stage, even if LOST's ultimate ending was a disappointment. With LOST, you could at least enjoy/understand the bits and pieces along the way. With RBW, I have felt, more than once, that I had NO clue what was actually going on unless/until I consulted an outside website/source to explain it to me. (I mean, explain even the details themselves, not theories about the message or theme.)
True, but we are only at the end of season 2, with a five season storyline this isnt even the halfway mark. Many stories we have read or seen before can keep us in the dark completely at this point still, and enough is revealed by the end for us to be satisfied. Many stories arent like this one I admit, but the freshness is, well, refreshing enough to make me want to give it a curve, a chance. This series is a boundary breaker, and doesnt even rest long enough to let you get used to any set pattern. Instead its moving forward at a somewhat seemingly unrealistic pace. So do we actually prefer another Star Wars or Star Trek series instead of this?! Not me.

I absolutely feel the substance its shown and the set foundation behind the scenes making this series earns it the right to go on. Id rather they had another season of RBW than a fourth season of Westworld. Going even further, Id rather have seen the 3 seasons of RBW that were cancelled instead of seasons 2, 3, and 4 of Westworld.

I repp'ed your posts because I respect your opinion, and its a well educated one. Reality is everyone wont like everything, but even if I dont like pineapple on my pizza Id be against it evr being done away with cause I know theres many out there that adore it. TONGO HAS SPOKEN!

So, are you following all the weird "mythology" they're tossing at us... WITHOUT reading outside sources? Honestly, some of the stuff is just so... opaque. That's my main point.

So, are you following all the weird "mythology" they're tossing at us... WITHOUT reading outside sources? Honestly, some of the stuff is just so... opaque. That's my main point.
No I'm not reading any outside sources. I made that mistake with Westworld season 1 and it spoiled the finale for me. I want the shows now to explain it in their own time.

They are starting to somewhat already. The creatures origins are now known and why they de-evolved, due to Grandmother. Thats been explained to my satisfaction. There's still alot out there but there should have been a lot more time for the story to explain it.

No I'm not reading any outside sources. I made that mistake with Westworld season 1 and it spoiled the finale for me. I want the shows now to explain it in their own time.

They are starting to somewhat already. The creatures origins are now known and why they de-evolved, due to Grandmother. Thats been explained to my satisfaction. There's still alot out there but there should have been a lot more time for the story to explain it.
I'm not disputing that more time would have given them more opportunities to explain things. And I don't mind NOT knowing some things along the way. But some of the explanations of why things are happening are so convoluted and NOT intuitively obvious at all that I was struggling to fit any pieces together as I watched. Meaning I was losing everything but the main, basic thread of the story. Too many times I thought, "Wait, what is THIS now?" And not in a good way.

My two cents on my reaction to this show. I didn't leave this current season confident that more time would equal better, smoother explanations. At all.

We?
Against??

I've said it before and I'll sing on broadway, I lllllLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOO-uuuuuuved this show!!!! enough to have started two songs for it, three BRAND NEW JOKES to honor Father, and I would be in a severe state of depression over losing this if I had time enough to worry about it. Give it another month or mid-August and I will be in a proper state to grieve.

I'm not disputing that more time would have given them more opportunities to explain things. And I don't mind NOT knowing some things along the way. But some of the explanations of why things are happening are so convoluted and NOT intuitively obvious at all that I was struggling to fit any pieces together as I watched. Meaning I was losing everything but the main, basic thread of the story. Too many times I thought, "Wait, what is THIS now?" And not in a good way.

My two cents on my reaction to this show. I didn't leave this current season confident that more time would equal better, smoother explanations. At all.
Fair enough. I enjoy the characters (Father's my favorite), the artistic style augmented by visual effects are amazing, and the acting. Yeah the story is flawed but not so flawed to where I dislike it altogether. To each his own.

Honestly and objectively I feel the show would continue getting better and better, and not disappoint in the end like LOST, or even Game of Thrones where they had to fill in for GRRM mostly that last season. The writer already has the last 3 seasons penned. Really hope it's picked back up somewhere.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I’m gonna miss Campion killing Paul. Call me what you must.

Fair enough. I enjoy the characters (Father's my favorite), the artistic style augmented by visual effects are amazing, and the acting. Yeah the story is flawed but not so flawed to where I dislike it altogether. To each his own.

Honestly and objectively I feel the show would continue getting better and better, and not disappoint in the end like LOST, or even Game of Thrones where they had to fill in for GRRM mostly that last season. The writer already has the last 3 seasons penned. Really hope it's picked back up somewhere.
Father's my favorite too.

However, those one-piece rubber body suits are just awful. I stare at them in disbelieving horror in every scene where Mother or Father show up. Like, there's all this technology but nobody even TRIED to make these otherwise human-looking creations look, well, average or normal? Or something other than weird. I keep picturing the poor actors saying, "I gotta pee. I'll be back in an hour once I figure out how to peel this suit down and then shimmy it back up."

Sometimes little details can derail my enjoyment.

Also, I totally understand your point about the writer having already penned out the last three seasons. However... that doesn't guarantee quality. Or even a satisfying ending. Clearly I am a skeptic in this regard.