Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Another wonderful review Delilah

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Thanks Sammie a great review, I am so jealous of you people there in the U S of A, this movie hasn't even come to movie theatre in my town yet.

MovieForums Extra
Great review SammyD. This one was already in my queue at Netflix. I just moved it up to the top. You rock.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Mose~ thanks, dood!
Nebbit~ yeah, we may eat too much fast food, but we have film releases going for us.
birdy~ cool! Let me know what you think!

Napoleon Dynamite... what does one say?

There were two messages in this movie that made it well worth seeing, to me:
1. Find what you do well and do it, no matter what it is.
2. Find the enjoyment in whatever you do.

This is a kid who is beat from the get-go by all recognizeable standards, yet he has a good time anyway. We like him, anyway. He is his "tragically unique" self and that's 100x more refreshing then the best impersonation he could do of someone cool.. or even normal.

The acting is either super-bad or brilliant, I'm not sure which. The production values are crap, but for $400,000 I'd like to see anybody do better and make back their investment x100. The direction is painful... unless it's a Kubrickian Theater of Abuse thing, in which case it works like gangbusters. This is a very unusual film. The bigger nerd you are, the more you'll love it. The more you remember of the early 80's, the more you'll laugh at the in-jokes. If you were a nerd in the 80's... you may find yourself writing a rambling review of it, and hoping others get the grins from seeing it, too.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
The bigger nerd you are, the more you'll love it.
Humm... Not sure what this says about me b/c I absolutely loved the movie. In fact, it's gotten funnier every time I've watched it and may eventually warrant a rating of 10

:hangsheadinnerdlyshame:

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Napoleon DynamiteThe more you remember of the early 80's, the more you'll laugh at the in-jokes. If you were a nerd in the 80's... you may find yourself writing a rambling review of it, and hoping others get the grins from seeing it, too.
Hey Sammy, you realize this film is set in present day don't you? It wasn't set in the '80s.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Now I understand.

Napoleon Dynamite... what does one say?
He is his "tragically unique" self.
I think that is a great way to describe myself from now on, "tragically Unique"

Thanks for the review, I love reading them.

Originally Posted by nebbit
I think that is a great way to describe myself from now on, "tragically Unique"

Thanks for the review, I love reading them.
That phrase is courtesy of Mose. Great, no?
Thanks for reading, Mark and Nebbs!

Eric Bana (Troy) made his screen debut in this docu-dramedy (I just made that term up!)
chopper
about life as a brutal, ruthless and somehow charming killer. Based on the personality, tales told and books written while incarcerated by Mark (Chopper) Read, Bana turns in a marvelously accurate impression, balancing the psychotic behavior, the humor and charm, and the bluster of the real subject. That's Bana in the poster, by the way... believe it or not. In what could have been a flashy, exploitive slasher flick, director Andrew Dominik presents all the conflict and confusion of his subject without judgment, leaving the viewer to decide which version of events actually happened.

Watching the interviews with the real guy in the DVD extras yields an appreciation for just how precarious a balance was struck by writer/director and actor. One wonders if ?Chopper? himself is entirely sure at this point what happened and why. It's fascinating to watch, partly to see what is going to happen next and partly because you really do have the impression you're watching a person who might do ANYthing next.

Not for the kiddies or the faint of heart, this film has some strangely hilarious lines, but also a lot of violence.

Finding Nemo (2003 - Stanton/Unkrich)
Sweet review. I think all of us loved “Ellen Degeneris' expertly acted character” as much as you did. My favorite part of the film is when the naughty little one plays ‘saved your life’ with the baby girl octopus. “Hey. You guys made me ink.”

Finding Neverland (2004 - Forster)
Nicely put review. Have you read the book or seen the newest incarnation of the film? If you have, how do you rate the two?

Flirting With Disaster (1996 - Russell)
I haven’t seen this film in a long time, but I remember not liking it that much. Tastes change and all that jazz, so maybe I’ll watch it again and see if there’s something that I missed. I’m having a hard time forgiving you for slighting the hilarious and enormously talented George Segal though. How dare you!

The French Connection (1971 - Friedkin)
I was thinking to myself while I waited for the review to load, “Don’t hate it, don’t hate it…” then it popped up and the first words I see are, “Hated it!”. My doG…what am I going to do now? I can’t be seen at the prom with a chickadee who hates one of my favorite 70s flicks. And the car chase…it’s one of the best ever filmed! *sigh* I guess I’ll get over it.

Garden State (2004 - Braff)
I’m sorry. I’ve avoided all reviews for this one because I want to see it with virgin eyes. I’m sure it’s a mighty fine review though; they all are…as long as you agree with me, that is.

Hedwig And The Angry Inch (2001 - Mitchell)
I don’t necessarily avoid movies that are all about gay men, but I kinda do. The reason being; most of them treat homosexual men without any note of respect. I get rather sick of seeing the gay guy who is so zany and funny…can’t any movies have them be the voices of brevity? I know that there are films that do, but not many compared to the massive amount of films that use them as comic relief. I appreciate this review in particular, because it sounds like Mitchell decided to make a movie that runs deeper than average film that centers itself on the life of homosexuals. It sounds like this is a film about people…who just happen to be gay.

House Of Yes (1997 - Waters)
I never thought of giving this film a chance, and your review doesn’t really me aspire to still. Is it something worth renting or not?

The Hulk (2003 - Lee)
I liked Hulk more than you did obviously, but I wouldn’t call it art house cinema…and what’s with the Betty hatin’?

I Heart Huckabee's (2004 - Russell)
Damn, woman…how did you rip the words right out of my mouth like that? I loved the cast, thought it was thought-provoking, but it still fell a little flat for me. What I find humorous is that so many people will bash Quentin Tarantino for robbing others creativity with his movies, but don’t say a negative word at all that this film is a cookie cut out of Wes Anderson’s style.

The Iron Giant (1999 - Bird)
Very nice review…just like all the reviews you do. I’m curious, why do you think children under the age of 13 shouldn’t see the film. I’d feel safe with 8-9 year olds seeing it. Is there something I’m not remembering?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

re: Finding Neverland
"Nicely put review. Have you read the book or seen the newest incarnation of the film? If you have, how do you rate the two?"
This was a review of the new film with Johnny Depp. I rate it 9/10. I had rated it perfect, but it seems that it is a little lost on people who haven't done theater, which is an unfortunate failing since it conveys that magic beautifully to those who have.

re: "How dare you!"
Hi.

re: Hedwig And The Angry Inch
"... It sounds like this is a film about people…who just happen to be gay."
It's a highly entertaining film and has some great music. I've downloaded at least half the soundtrack. This film is everything Rocky Horror wanted to be.

re: House Of Yes
"I never thought of giving this film a chance, and your review doesn’t really me aspire to still. Is it something worth renting or not?"
Yes. It's a good story, well acted, unique from what I've seen and people refer to it a lot, so if you're going to talk movies, you should see this.

re: I Heart Huckabee's "What I find humorous is that so many people will bash Quentin Tarantino for robbing others creativity with his movies, but don’t say a negative word at all that this film is a cookie cut out of Wes Anderson’s style."
I don't think I really see that... I'd say Christopher Durang more than W. Anderson.

re: ]The Iron Giant
"Very nice review…just like all the reviews you do. I’m curious, why do you think children under the age of 13 shouldn’t see the film. I’d feel safe with 8-9 year olds seeing it. Is there something I’m not remembering?"
[spoilers=irongiant]I found the death of the robot to be very emotionally wrenching, and because he chooses to die in order to save everyone, I think I'd hold off til kids are a little older. If kids have already been introduced to death, that might help, but this is a complex death due to the martyr issues and the suggestion that after that sacrifice, he might still re-integrate... I dunno. I know people who have younger kids who have seen it and enjoy it, so maybe I'm being overly cautious.

This was a review of the new film with Johnny Depp. I rate it 9/10. I had rated it perfect, but it seems that it is a little lost on people who haven't done theater, which is an unfortunate failing since it conveys that magic beautifully to those who have.
I knew what movie the review was for. I was just asking what you thought of the mans work and the most recent adaptation of it. Jeezum Crow! Do you think I don’t bother reading the reviews or something?

Hi.
I don’t think I like the tone of your voice, young lady.

This film is everything Rocky Horror wanted to be.
Hugely successful with a fan base of around 100,000,000 people? Wow.

Yes. It's a good story, well acted, unique from what I've seen and people refer to it a lot, so if you're going to talk movies, you should see this.
I guess I better leave the forum for a while then, because I probably won’t see it for quite some time yet. You’re such a bully.

I don't think I really see that... I'd say Christopher Durang more than W. Anderson.
Am I missing something? Has Durang actually directed a film I’ve yet heard of? (actually, I haven’t seen either film that he’s written)

WARNING: "irongiant" spoilers below
I found the death of the robot to be very emotionally wrenching, and because he chooses to die in order to save everyone, I think I'd hold off til kids are a little older. If kids have already been introduced to death, that might help, but this is a complex death due to the martyr issues and the suggestion that after that sacrifice, he might still re-integrate... I dunno. I know people who have younger kids who have seen it and enjoy it, so maybe I'm being overly cautious.
Hmmm...it sounds like perfect subject matter to discuss with a child…but that’s just me. Thanks for your honest opinion though.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I knew what movie the review was for. I was just asking what you thought of the mans work and the most recent adaptation of it. Jeezum Crow! Do you think I don’t bother reading the reviews or something?
Oh, it's clear that you do. I just wasn't sure what you were drinkin' while you were reading.

I don’t think I like the tone of your voice, young lady.
You have no idea. I sound just like Gilbert Gottleib.

Hugely successful with a fan base of around 100,000,000 people? Wow.
Hedwig has a pretty big fanbase as well, it's just not as well-known as Rocky Horror in the US. Also, the writer/director/actor is directing a new film that is supposd to be out some day and you're going to have nothing to compare it to. Don't say you weren't warned.

I guess I better leave the forum for a while then, because I probably won’t see it for quite some time yet. You’re such a bully.
Don't break Aniko's heart again, you flighty thing! Stay put.

Am I missing something? Has Durang actually directed a film I’ve yet heard of? (actually, I haven’t seen either film that he’s written)
We were only talking about directors? I see how you play: fast and loose with the parameters. Tricky. But not tricky enough.

Hmmm...it sounds like perfect subject matter to discuss with a child…but that’s just me. Thanks for your honest opinion though.
To discuss, yes, especially (as I said) if death is something the kid has had to deal with in reality. Not everybody does that, or even watches films with their kids, so that's part of my hesitancy. I was 8 when I first learned that death had touched my life and I remember really reeling, so maybe I'm cautious after that experience. My mom didn't really talk to me about it much, she just handed me a photo of her and a baby and this man.. and said, "that is your father". Breaking news more gently than my mom is a pretty easy task, I'll grant you... Anyway, I think it depends on the kid and their situation.

Oh, it's clear that you do. I just wasn't sure what you were drinkin' while you were reading.
I quit drinking six months ago. Thanks for opening old wounds though. You still haven’t answered my questions though…Have you read Peter Pan or seen its latest adaptation?

You have no idea. I sound just like Gilbert Gottleib.
I’m not sure who that is. Do you mean Gottfried? If so…you just made me incredibly randy.

Hedwig has a pretty big fanbase as well, it's just not as well-known as Rocky Horror in the US. Also, the writer/director/actor is directing a new film that is supposd to be out some day and you're going to have nothing to compare it to. Don't say you weren't warned.
There’s nothing on IMDb about his next project. What have you heard?

Don't break Aniko's heart again, you flighty thing! Stay put.
Aniko? Broken heart? Man…I suck. (shut up, Nitzer)

We were only talking about directors? I see how you play: fast and loose with the parameters. Tricky. But not tricky enough.
I have no idea how to respond. You blew my mind…

To discuss, yes, especially (as I said) if death is something the kid has had to deal with in reality. Not everybody does that, or even watches films with their kids, so that's part of my hesitancy. I was 8 when I first learned that death had touched my life and I remember really reeling, so maybe I'm cautious after that experience. My mom didn't really talk to me about it much, she just handed me a photo of her and a baby and this man.. and said, "that is your father". Breaking news more gently than my mom is a pretty easy task, I'll grant you... Anyway, I think it depends on the kid and their situation.
I’m sorry about your experience…it sounds very sad. And I agree…it completely depends on the kid.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I quit drinking six months ago. Thanks for opening old wounds though. You still haven’t answered my questions though…Have you read Peter Pan or seen its latest adaptation?
Nope. Neither. Have you? Do you recommend either or both or neither?

I’m not sure who that is. Do you mean Gottfried? If so…you just made me incredibly randy.
uhm, yes. Him. Who's Randy?

There’s nothing on IMDb about his next project. What have you heard?
Here's the IMDb entry. That's all I've heard on it, and since it says it was to film last fall, that's not a good sign...

Nope. Neither. Have you? Do you recommend either or both or neither?
I like both alright. But you won't be missing anything amazing and spectacular spectacular.

uhm, yes. Him. Who's Randy?
I had a feeling that's where you'd go with that.

Here's the IMDb entry. That's all I've heard on it, and since it says it was to film last fall, that's not a good sign...
Ah...I only looked at the top listings. lol...thx.