The Hall of Infamy

Tools    

Out of curiosity, what are some divisive love-it-or-hate-it films you guys think might've had a chance of winning this Hall?
Every other film in the Comedy Countdown seems to be rather divisive, with some people praising it and others questioning how it even got on the list, so I think the right group of people could downvote pretty much any beloved film into winning something like this haha.

I didn't participate and I regret it (except it would have meant having to watch Going Overboard), but it'd be interesting to see how Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain or mother! or any movie Terrence Malick made since 1998 would fare. There doesn't seem to be such thing as an in-between opinion about any of those movies.

I didn't participate and I regret it (except it would have meant having to watch Going Overboard), but it'd be interesting to see how Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain or mother! or any movie Terrence Malick movie made since 1998 would fare. There doesn't seem to be such thing as an in-between opinion about any of those movies.
The Tree of Life is still a masterpiece! That's the only opinion of the film I will accept.

Would nominating that type of film be the right move for a future Hall of Infamy though? You run of risk of the participants being in the "love it" category.
Maybe we should have a love it or hate it type of hall for divisive films that the viewer loves but other people hate?

Maybe we should have a love it or hate it type of hall for divisive films that the viewer loves but other people hate?
Now there's an idea! Without even having to think on it, I already have a film in mind I could nominate for something like that.

Lol isn't that what I did the last general hof?

Concerning divisive films, how is Van Sant's Elephant considered around here?
I think it's pretty great. I saw it as an attempt to deglamorize what school shootings are like and counter how the media sensationalizes them, at least how they did in the late '90s and early '00s. I don't know if you remember Israfel the Black a.k.a. Izzy Black from Rotten Tomatoes/Corrierino, but she had a much different take. She said it's a big nothing and has no artistic value. Either way, I don't think it would be a great choice for this kind of HoF since there's nothing to poke fun at.

Would nominating that type of film be the right move for a future Hall of Infamy though? You run of risk of the participants being in the "love it" category.
As I said in the first post, I'm fine with people nominating whatever they want to nominate (aside from previous winners of Halls, but I doubted that would be an issue). If someone thinks a film sucks, who am I to tell them it's not allowed since I enjoy it? If the person who nominated it genuinely hates the film, that's a good reason as any. For instance, if someone thinks Stalker is complete shit and wants to nominate it, well, you're crazy, but go right ahead by all means. I'll just rewatch it, give it a glowing 10/10 review, and move on.

Some people these days like the Street Fighter movie. I admit, one thing impressed e about the movie: it tried harder to be faithful to the source material than any other video game adaptation of that era.

I also really liked Elephant. I can understand some finding it boring, but I think its style of pacing works to deglamorize the shooting to the point it takes a documentarian feel where you feel you're actually there with the students as the day unfolds (that the actors are all non-professionals adds to this). I also like how the plot structure adds slow-burning tension to the film, the depiction of the shooting keeps the sculpting in time approach of what came before as opposed to going for full-on excitement, and a couple other smaller moments within the film (Benny's introduction, in particular) were rather compelling. Granted, the gay kiss between the shooters is problematic since it appears to suggest the Columbine shooting was a closeted gay rampage, but aside from that, I don't have any other issues with it.

Some people these days like the Street Fighter movie.
What strange people. No officer, I have no idea where this special edition steelbook version of Street Fighter came from.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	sf.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	87921  

Unfortunately for the joke, that copy of Street Fighter isn't actually mine haha. It belongs to my room mate, who unashamedly loves it. I personally think it's a trash film, but it's really fun to watch thanks to Raul Julia.

If certain friends of mine were participating, I'd probably nominate Avatar. Everyone I know irl despises that film haha.
I watched it a few times when it came out, but I have pretty much zero interest in rewatching it (I wouldn't mind it being nominated though).

Imagine a whole hall filled with films like that!
If they were like mine? I wouldn't have a problem, neither would Cricket ot PahaK.