Star Wars: The Force Awakens

→ in
Tools    

This is a very good assessment of the movie:
Let me guess: They hate it.

"Today I'd like to give you my take on a godawful piece of cinematic trash-"
I'm good.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
This is really gonna set the Mouse up for retconing the prequels.

Boldly going.
I've been pretty hard on this movie, so I'd actually like to defend it from some criticisms laid against it.

1. "The acting is terrible" ...I don't go to a Star Wars movie for the acting. This is Star Wars, not Casablanca. Was Carrie Fisher's acting in the original that great? Was Mark Hamill's?

2. "Rey flew the Millennium Falcon too expertly" ...We saw from Rey's handling of the hovercraft that Rey is a good pilot. Perhaps there are universal controls in these ships. She also referred to the Falcon as "junk" - perhaps she had been in it before.

3. "Rey should not have been able to beat Kylo Ren in a lightsaber fight." ... One thing people fail to mention when they make this argument is that:
a) Kylo was shot by Chewbacca on the bridge and was bleeding (We see Kylo repeatedly touch his wound), so Kylo probably struggled with just staying conscious.
b) We see earlier that she could handle herself expertly with a staff. She was probably taught by Lor San Tekka (played by Max von Sydow). I don't know much about weapons, but it is not much of a stretch to imagine that she could quickly and reasonably adapt to a lightsaber.

4. "Ben Solo was too whiny; he totally ruined Kylo Ren's bad-ass image." ... I actually think it made him a sympathetic villain. People forget that even villains are human and had childhoods too. I do agree, however, that this scene came too early and some backstory could have helped us better understand what had happened between Ben, Luke and his parents.

5. "BB8 looked like a CGI cartoon" ... A puppet was actually used in many of the scenes, and I couldn't tell the difference.

6. "Who cares about Luke's old lightsaber, the one he lost on Bespin when is hand was cut off in ESB?" ... The lightsaber itself isn't important: Luke constructed a new lightsaber before ROTJ. George Lucas remarked that Obi-Wan kept saying "This lightsaber is your life" and yet it's a bit of a running joke that Jedi are frequently losing their lightsabers. Luke may feel some nostalgia for his father's lightsaber. So Rey's returning of the lightsaber to Luke may have some symbolic importance. It's also Rey's way of saying "We need you back, as a Jedi Master".

7. "Luke didn't say anything." ... Sometimes less is more. Would it have been any better if he had said "Hello", or "Thanks", or "It's about time"? I thought the ending was just fine.

... Having said all that, I can think of many reasons why I hated the movie. Overall, The Force Awakens stunk worse than a rancor's stool.

I have to return some videotapes...
I've been pretty hard on this movie, so I'd actually like to defend it from some criticisms laid against it.

1. "The acting is terrible" ...I don't go to a Star Wars movie for the acting. This is Star Wars, not Casablanca. Was Carrie Fisher's acting in the original that great? Was Mark Hamill's?

2. "Rey flew the Millennium Falcon too expertly" ...We saw from Rey's handling of the hovercraft that Rey is a good pilot. Perhaps there are universal controls in these ships. She also referred to the Falcon as "junk" - perhaps she had been in it before.

3. "Rey should not have been able to beat Kylo Ren in a lightsaber fight." ... One thing people fail to mention when they make this argument is that:
a) Kylo was shot by Chewbacca on the bridge and was bleeding (We see Kylo repeatedly touch his wound), so Kylo probably struggled with just staying conscious.
b) We see earlier that she could handle herself expertly with a staff. She was probably taught by Lor San Tekka (played by Max von Sydow). I don't know much about weapons, but it is not much of a stretch to imagine that she could quickly and reasonably adapt to a lightsaber.

4. "Ben Solo was too whiny; he totally ruined Kylo Ren's bad-ass image." ... I actually think it made him a sympathetic villain. People forget that even villains are human and had childhoods too. I do agree, however, that this scene came too early and some backstory could have helped us better understand what had happened between Ben, Luke and his parents.

5. "BB8 looked like a CGI cartoon" ... A puppet was actually used in many of the scenes, and I couldn't tell the difference.

6. "Who cares about Luke's old lightsaber, the one he lost on Bespin when is hand was cut off in ESB?" ... The lightsaber itself isn't important: Luke constructed a new lightsaber before ROTJ. George Lucas remarked that Obi-Wan kept saying "This lightsaber is your life" and yet it's a bit of a running joke that Jedi are frequently losing their lightsabers. Luke may feel some nostalgia for his father's lightsaber. So Rey's returning of the lightsaber to Luke may have some symbolic importance. It's also Rey's way of saying "We need you back, as a Jedi Master".

7. "Luke didn't say anything." ... Sometimes less is more. Would it have been any better if he had said "Hello", or "Thanks", or "It's about time"? I thought the ending was just fine.

... Having said all that, I can think of many reasons why I hated the movie. Overall, The Force Awakens stunk worse than a rancor's stool.
The film is rancid s*it, but I do agree with the first point so rep.

After finally watching it a couple times I can honestly say that after having a closer look at it I'm extremely underwhelmed and disappointed with the newest Star Wars film.

WARNING: "General plot, very minor spoilers." spoilers below
Regardless of easing old fans back into the franchise, I feel the recycled plot from A New Hope really takes away from what could've been explored in a whole new movie (A third death star but bigger?). The newest characters are also a bit of a let down... With Finn's inconsistent motivations and Rey's symptoms of 'Mary Sue' as well as questionable performances in certain scenes I find it really hard to sympathize with these new characters. Yes some set pieces are gorgeous as are the effects, but with what I think is a bad story and a movie that leaves far too much to speculation than I think is reasonable I just can't enjoy it as much as I want to.

What do you guys think about the first film in Disney's newest toy franchise?

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
It is worse than the prequels. As bad as they are, they still feel like Star Wars.

Welcome to the human race...
I think that it's ironic how all the people complaining about The Force Awakens and its lack of originality seem to making the exact same criticisms over and over again.

I think that it's ironic how all the people complaining about The Force Awakens and its lack of originality seem to making the exact same criticisms over and over again.
Really? I would think that's evidence that there is a common issue with something.

Perhaps, but when it comes to a lot of the same words being used to express these criticisms (e.g. "Rey is a Mary Sue", "the whole plot is rehashed/recycled/borrowed/stolen from A New Hope) then it just gets a little funnier.

As for the film - I wasn't disappointed, if only because my expectations weren't that high in the first place. I waver between
and
- doubledenim does raise a good point in that it lacks the exact feel of Star Wars that even the prequels maintained regardless of their other issues, but compared to most of the other films I saw last year it was virtually great.

I wasn't disappointed, if only because my expectations weren't that high in the first place.
I lowballed my expectations too and I had fun.

The similarities to New Hope/Empire were unnecessary, I agree, but they didn't bother me as much as the pacing/length and plot contrivances.

Ultimately, I'm content with it to echo Star Wars, if not necessarily feel like Star Wars. Star Wars was a very different beast over 30 years ago, it's almost unreasonable to expect the same exact vibe from it.

Even though people were crying for it too be like star wars nobody said make me a copy and thats all JJ did. Funny thing is George somehow gave us not what we wanted but was able to give you new expanded places and cutures and you can tell George was not involved.
The Saber battle was sloppy and odd if ask me. Disney should swallow there pride and let George help them and there is nothing JJ did that George and Rian cannot fix in 2 and 3.

Well, people kept complaining about how the prequels were too different to the originals so there's just no pleasing some people. Besides, it's not like the saber battle in A New Hope was any great shakes either. Consider the combatants - in A New Hope it's an old man versus a cyborg who is likely just humouring him with a final battle. The Force Awakens has

WARNING: "TFA" spoilers below
a Sith Lord who is badly wounded due to being shot with a bowcaster and may be able to fight off a somewhat inexperienced rookie soldier without too much struggle but is actually challenged by a woman who's been fighting with melee weapons all her life and so it ends up being a draw

Doesn't mean I'm not expecting an improvement in later installments. Also, I can't imagine anything less likely than Disney of all entities swallowing their metaphorical pride, especially over their latest acquisition.

Maybe its the fact that Kylo s saber looks so stupid and bulky it takes away from the moment. Instead a traditional simplar saber

Maybe its the fact that Kylo s saber looks so stupid and bulky it takes away from the moment. Instead a traditional simplar saber
Kylo's saber is dumb, but only because how it's designed means anyone could cut the guard off just by sliding their lightsaber down the blade past the hilt, preventing which is the whole point of a guard in the first place. At least you could argue Kylo TRIED to use a lightsaber that protects his fingers.

Two scenes excuse his lightsaber to me though:

The one where a stormtrooper goes toe to toe with Finn with a non-lightsaber suggests that there are materials that can resist being instantly cut, which Kylo's saber handle may actually be made out of.

WARNING: "The second one is..." spoilers below
when Kylo actually presses the guard into Finn's shoulder. It was a relief to see that he could and would actually use the unusual hilt in combat.

Kylo's saber is dumb, but only because how it's designed means anyone could cut the guard off just by sliding their lightsaber down the blade past the hilt, preventing which is the whole point of a guard in the first place. At least you could argue Kylo TRIED to use a lightsaber that protects his fingers.
Obligatory:

Nice. But if we're getting into geek arguments then YOU JUST ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD!

It's not logically consistent to suggest that the beams extend beneath the shell of the lightsaber, otherwise why would you be able to cut a normal lightsaber handle in two?

EAT THAT!

You'll have to refresh my memory on the cut-in-two thing (did it happen? High enough up to suggest any inconsistency), but regardless, I dunno that they all have to be constructed the same. Especially when this one is a different "type."

And yes, part of me feels tremendously silly talking about this.

You'll have to refresh my memory on the cut-in-two thing (did it happen? High enough up to suggest any inconsistency), but regardless, I dunno that they all have to be constructed the same. Especially when this one is a different "type."
Speculation and conjecture. Hmph. I'm unimpressed, Yoda.

I present EXHIBIT B!: