Gigli

→ in
Tools    

It was beauty killed the beast.
To celebrate the upcoming release of Gigli Kong decided it would be fun to post IMDb news briefs concerning the film. Enjoy.

Lopez and Affleck Called Back to Stop 'Gigli' Bombing - 12/16/02

They may be one of the hottest couple in Hollywood - but Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck won't be able to enjoy a relaxing Christmas together as they've been ordered to work. The pair star in upcoming film Gigli together, but test audiences reacted so badly to the ending that the producer has ordered a re-shoot. A movie source says, "Test audiences said the ending to the film sucks at the moment and at the end of the day, it's got to bring in the dollars at the box office." The film was set to be released in the new year, but production has now restarted over the festive period to sort out the cheesy climax. Lopez and Affleck got together on the set of the film this summer and they'll now have a chance to relive this in Los Angeles. The source adds, "Just because you happen to be a multi-million singing diva or a pin-up actor doesn't mean you don't have to go to work like everybody else."
Report: Producer, Director Come Close to Blows - 4/2/03

Ben Affleck, who stars with Jennifer Lopez in Tough Love, was forced to intervene when producer Joe Roth and director Marty Brest nearly came to blows following a recent screening of the film in Los Angeles, the New York Post reported today (Wednesday). According to the newspaper's "Page Six" column, which cited industry tipsters, an earlier test screening had produced such poor audience response that Roth had ordered Brest to reshoot the ending. However, the new, more traditional ending also drew a poor response, and after the screening was over, Brest reportedly yelled at Roth, "See, we did it your way, we did your Hollywood ending, and people hated it!" To which Roth reportedly responded, "[Expletive] you!" The Post said that when Afflect and Lopez heard the shouting between the pair, Affleck "went outside and broke them up." A spokeswoman for Revolution Studios told the newspaper: "There was a creative disagreement among the many people involved with the film. ... The disagreement was not over scenes that were reshot, but over suggested cuts for the final feature. ... Everyone has come up with a cut that both parties are happy with." She denied that Affleck broke up a fight or that expletives were uttered.
'Gigli' Trouble - 4/2/03

Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez's new romantic comedy is being tipped for disaster. Gigli - with Jersey Girl, one of two films featuring the pair, due for release this year - has been beset by problems since shooting wrapped last year. The couple, who met on the set early in 2002, had to return to the New York location in the New Year to reshoot the ending. The name of the movie has been changed to Tough Love and the release date pushed forward several times - amid rumors test audiences were unimpressed with the finished product. Movie critics at website Ain't-It-Cool-news managed to sneak a copy of the film - and are already tipping Affleck and Lopez for next year's Razzle Awards. Calling the film "unreleasable, " AICN's review says, "Tough Love has some of the most truly god-awful dialogue ever heard on screen."
Lopez's Bottom Reduced on 'Gigli' Poster - 7/18/03

Superstar Jennifer Lopez reportedly ordered her picture on the poster for new movie Gigli to be digitally altered to downsize her famously-full bottom. A Hollywood source tells the Page Six website that movie bosses made J.Lo's posterior smaller on the promo posters for the troubled flick, whilst also "pumping up her chest". However, a source at Columbia pictures, who made the film, claim it was only Lopez's rear which was altered, at the actress' insistence. They state, "Jennifer was unhappy with the photo. She felt the way she was posed diminished her curvature, so she had graphics retouch her (bottom). But nothing was done to her chest." A spokesperson for Lopez has refused to comment, aside from a sarcastic, "I'm absolutely shocked. Who would ever think this could possibly happen in Hollywood?"
'Gigli' Blasted by Critics - 7/25/03

Critics have wasted no time in sharpening their pencils for Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck's movie Gigli - with one branding it "the worst film ever". The film has been beset by problems: it even changed its name to Tough Love at one point and has removed J.Lo's character's lesbianism. And one scene in particular, when Lopez's character invites Affleck's character into bed with the line, "It's turkey time" only to reply to his question of "What?" with "Come on, gobble, gobble!" has been ridiculed by reviewers. One says, "It was possibly the worst line ever said in a movie." Another critic adds, "Affleck is just totally miscast and J-Lo is just awful." The film is released in America next week.

'Gigli' Stars Stand Alone at Hollywood Premiere - 7/29/03Gigli stars Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck were the only celebrities at the film's Hollywood premiere Sunday night - and were reluctant to spend much time with the waiting press. The engaged couple, who met on the film's set, arrived arm-in-arm and wooed the crowd by signing autographs and chatting, but largely ignored the press - who have generally slammed the film. J.Lo's response to the criticism was, "I believe that this is a good movie. I know we did great work on it. I'm proud of Ben in the movie, I'm proud of the stuff I did, I think there is some great writing and really funny stuff. I just hope that everybody comes out to enjoy it because it's a lot of fun to watch." Her lover adds, "The movie will always have a certain kind of significance for me, regardless of the usual concerns you have about a movie - if it performs commercially or critically or what-have-you. This movie will always be important and a landmark event in my life, you know, and that's enough."
J.Lo and Affleck: We Will Never Work Together AgainJ.Lo and Affleck: We Will Never Work Together Again - 7/30/03Superstar couple Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez are so distraught at the critical backlash to their movie Gigli that they have vowed never to work together again. Sources close to the twosome - who met and fell in love on the set of the gangster comedy - say that although in public they have defended the flick, behind closed doors Latina lovely J.Lo is very upset at the bad press. And the sexy pair believe their incredible fame and the gossip surrounding their upcoming marriage doomed the movie to failure before it was released. A source says, "Ben's brushing it off but J.Lo's taking it personally. They've admitted their relationship is more of a hindrance than a boost to a movie." However, fans will get one more chance to see them sizzle on screen together in Kevin Smith's upcoming movie Jersey Girl, which will be released in February.
Ouch!At least the last bit was good news.

I don't want to see it, hate the actors, and no, I'm not jealous.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I think I'm gonna check this out. (Maybe Jersey Girl....but...this.....um....well.....)

All of this bad press for the movie is FAKE!

That's what I think, because I saw Roger Ebert's review of this movie, and I always trust him, and he gave the film TWO AND A HALF STARS. Not bad at all! Three is good for him, and four is great... that means Gigli is halfway at good!

My theory is that this bitch diva wants publicity by having a movie that bombed because then people will just keep talking about her and it. "Oh, did you see Gigli? IT SUCKED!!!!!" "Don't go see Gigli! It sucks! It's just something that Jennifer Lopez parades around in, showing off her big butt! IT'S THE WORST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!!!"

The whole thing is a publicity stunt, a very costly one. They (she and Ben and their people) know that this movie isn't great, but it isn't all that bad either. But who wants to have a movie that's inbetween? That's why they're selling it off as the worst movie of the year. It's just to keep Jennifer and Ben in the spotlight, which I am so so sick of.....! Even my little post here keeps them dim a little, but I will go on record as saying that this bad publicity must be fake if it's getting some good reviews by highly acclaimed critics. I consider myself a good judge of movies too, and I haven't really been interested in Gigli, but when I finally see it, I will certainly come back here and tell you all the truth.

Jennifer Lopez is like a second rate Madonna to me, and I'm hoping that she'll disappear with time. I really think that everyone's going to be fed up with her and she won't have anywhere to turn next. She'll always be remembered for who she is, but I doubt she'll be remembered that warmly. This whole Ben Affleck thing she has going is already falling apart. If they break up - if she makes a bad move (move, not movie) again - J. Lo will go. And then she'll be doing little light roles in movies that nobody will care about anymore until the dinosaur is finally extinct.

Kong's job has afforded him the oppurtunity to check out a fair number of scenes from Gigli and Kong has come to the preliminary conclusion that, although the film is bad, it isn't close to being the horror show that many critics have made it out to be. There are certainly some films released this summer that are worse.

Originally Posted by Austruck
Here's the best piece I've read about Gigli:

The Onion: Gigli Focus Groups Demand New Ending In Which Both Affleck And Lopez Die

Still laughing...
Hilarious!

The Onion is awesome.

Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity: I will go on record as saying that this bad publicity must be fake if it's getting some good reviews by highly acclaimed critics.
you need to take a look at www.rottentomatos.com. I would say that 106 bad reviews out of 114 total reviews for Gigli makes it a bad film, not a celebrity conspiracy.

And for the record, Ebert's review is not pro Gigli. quotes from his review that support this statement are "...the crime plot is completely unconvincing.", or "...the movie doesn't work. The ending especially doesn't work, and what's worse, it doesn't work for a long time, because it fails to work for minute after minute, and includes dialogue which is almost entirely unnecessary.".

That said, no Ebert didn't hate the movie, but lets not forget he also gave 3 stars to American Wedding, and 3 stars to the new Tomb Raider. Hardly a critic you should trust.

He likes Tomb Raider 2, and theres nothing wrong with that. He is human as well. He just happens to have a thing for Jolie .

Originally Posted by Malcuolo
That said, no Ebert didn't hate the movie, but lets not forget he also gave 3 stars to American Wedding, and 3 stars to the new Tomb Raider. Hardly a critic you should trust.
I was so happy that he gave the new American Wedding three stars because he gave the other two movies three stars as well. What a unique rarity for a trilogy. The Scream trilogy almost came close again with him - three stars for the first two - but the final one was such a disaster and he gave it only two.

I trust my Roger dodger. I know that 2 1/2 stars is not BAD. But everyone is going around saying that Gigli is the WORST film of the year - maybe it's just me, but doesn't that make a movie exciting?

I didn't think the 3rd was that bad. Just not as good as the first two. (I would've given the first two 4 stars)

Not sure which trilogy you're talking about, but Scream 3 sucked.*

*except for the short scene where Sidney gets chased around by the killer in the replica of her old house on the set of Stab 3.