What classic movie have you seen lately?

Tools    

I guess that's not the same version as Kenneth Brannagh? That was good.

Oh, by the way, I saw "North by Northwest" for the first time quite recently. I also saw "Dial M For Murder", but I've seen that many times before.

For the record, I too want to write a screenplay, partially to say I did, and have some fun. I don't expect it to be turned into an actual flick or anything. MoFo's own Ryan Paige will likely be the last kick in the pants to get me moving.

Thanks for the reply Pigsnie & the constructive advice, I appreciate it. A couple of personal Questions, if you dont mind. Are you freelance? Anything in circulation at the moment? .

Please dont get me wrong I LOVE AKIRA KURASAWA's films, almost all are perfect & I dont disagree that they should be 10/10. Read the explanation above for why I never give 10/10. Yojimbo & Seven Samurai are indeed 9.5/10 each.

Im going to a friends place tonight to watch the new version of David Leans "Laurence Of Arabia"(9.5/10 Im sure) special edition. (just released in Australia) cant wait.

Thanx again.

Don't believe Branagh has made his own version of RICHARD III yet, Commish. Frankly, I'm sick of that guy; I can feel it in my bones that he wants to put my hero Olivier completely in the shade. Plus he was scum to have had an affair with the Swan-Necketh One, Helena Bonham Carter whilst being married to Ms. Emma T.

Deckard, I work for the BBC as one of their "Orientalists" (do research, write short anonymous AP-style reports, nothing Shakespearean), but I also write for the Asahi Shimbun, a major Japanese paper. (Unfortunately, the Asahi website is in Japanese). My English employer does not know about my um, studio work. (It's none of their friggin' business anyway.) And before that, in my wasted youth, I wrote for the BLACKADDER TV series, and I absolutely deny that I was involved in the awful medieval episodes, uggghhh!

Originally posted by Pigsnie
Don't believe Branagh has made his own version of RICHARD III yet, Commish. Frankly, I'm sick of that guy; I can feel it in my bones that he wants to put my hero Olivier completely in the shade. Plus he was scum to have had an affair with the Swan-Necketh One, Helena Bonham Carter whilst being married to Ms. Emma T.
I'm fairly sure he did - I recall something about "Saint Crispin's Day" - or is that another one of his movies?

Personally I think Brannagh was born to play such roles, and both you and I know it. Should he expand to other films? Yes, but there's no denying that he knows what he's doing. See "Much Ado About Nothing", then you'll surely agree. I couldn't like that much more than I do already.

Anyway, do we know he cheated on her? I'm not trying to defend him, I'm just not too familiar with the whole situation.

I can pretend that things last.
I am an avid classic fan and I love watching them.I get TCM here everynight and am sorta hooked into it.I think old movies are way better than present day ones.Nowadays movies are money-oriented.Thats real sad. Its a mad mad mad world now.

The recent ones they showed on TCM (as per last week):[list][*]Dr.StrangeLove(Peter Sellers)[*]A Place in the Sun (Liz Taylor,Montgomery Clift and Shelley Winters)[*]Johnny Belinda.[*]The Maltese Falcon.[*]The Big Sleep.[*]SoylentGreen.

Thats all I can remember.

Well Cheerios for now.
Aditya

PS:I think we should start a topic debating old films Vs Present day ones.That'll be nice.

Well, my opinion on that is that NOW is the Golden Age of film, not long ago. We've still got some great plot twists today, and today, anything that can be imagined, can be done on film. This was never possible until recently.

If you don't think we have any modern-day classics (in various genres), then go watch movies like The Matrix, The Usual Suspects, Unbreakable, etc. These are not recognized as classics yet, simply because they're not that old.

St. Crispin's Day is a famous speech from HENRY V. The most famous speech in RICHARD III is "Now is the winter of our discontent ..." and I don't think Branagh's ever done that. I don't know if Branagh was born to make Shakespeare's canon but you will hear scant praise from me. (MUCH ADO is my favorite Branagh film however.) I just cannot stand the humorless little bastid. It is a personal thing, quite apart even from my disgust of his swinish betrayal of the classy Ms. Emma. (Branagh had a much publicized affair with Bonham Carter during the making of the lousy FRANKENSTEIN. They were quite shamelessly public about it. And it happened years ago, long before your primal memories.)

Yes, Henry V - that's one I'm thinking of. Louie the Third, Dilbert the Fourth, Frankie the Tenth: they're all the same to me.

Anyway, I didn't like Brannagh's odd "Victorian" version of Hamlet, but just about everything else he's in seems to suit him well.

Thanx for the reply Pigsnie.
On the topic of "Brannaghs" Shakesperian efforts I have to say Im not a fan. I dont think he has made a version of RICHARD III either.

Just to add my two cents worth. There are IMO only two notable modern Shakesperian adaptions:

RICHARD III with Ian McKellan
Julie Taymor's TITUS with Jessica Lange

I must say I am a massive fan of Roman Polanski's MACBETH. But found Baz Lamuhar's ROMEO & JULIET dissappointing.

MovieForums Extra
Well, my opinion on that is that NOW is the Golden Age of film, not long ago. We've still got some great plot twists today, and today, anything that can be imagined, can be done on film. This was never possible until recently.
I agree to a certain degree, but I still stick with the fact that although Hollywood is going through a SFX revolution, the novelty of it all is still spitting out movies which test the limits and push the barriers of SFX, just because it's such a new and powerful concept...

Once we get over it, SFX will be incorporated with more intricate plots that don't just rely on visual effects to convey their message. That's when I think that we will go into the real Renaissance of Hollywood.

My A¢2 worth (read Australian cents )

I just watched Dracula last night. You can see the strings on the bats. Yes, it's the little things in life that amuse me.

I watched The Shawshank Redemption last night.

[Edited by Rodney on 05-10-2001]

So Jim . . . ae you old enough to remember Orson Welles in "The Third Man" - Cotton? Valya?
Love,
Jozie

(Or maybe Valya is spelled wrong.)

Pigsnie -- you forgot "My kingdom for a horse!" Not as artistic, but maybe more famous. But the best scene in Olivier's "Richard III" is his seduction of Lady Anne. Who would believe that interaction to be possible without having seen it? (But I liked Olivier best in "The Entertainer."

Deckard -- fair warning, we're all movie journalists here. Of a sort.

Love to all,
Jozie

My wife is a big Hitchcock fan so we recently watched

Rear Window
Vertigo
Psycho

I love Kubrick and watched

Dr. Strangelove
Clockwork

I can't really think of any other flicks right now, but I am sure there are more. I love going to the video store and picking up some classics (who can argue with $.50 per title!)

Do you watch kurosawa, MightyMouse? -- you forgot the u in your name

Mose is my nickname... it's short for my last name... I figured what the heck, might as well give a tribute to the coolest superhero of all time and came up with the nickname :-)

Oh ok. So do you watch Kuroswawa, Mose? Oh & I would like to invite you to ur badger thread where we talk about anythin that comes into our heads. Evryone here can actually get on Badger, most don't though. :bawl: But the people on there right now are

1. Me, PigsnieLite
2. Wortle the Tortle, hes Hawaiian & has big toenails
3. Pigsnie, my bro, but doesnt post as much now becus he is in SPAIN!
4. Thmilin, a pretty girl who savs NEVAH! all the time, loll. Also has a crush on Pigsnie.
5. TWT, the Commishioner & Lord of All
6. Steve N. (only posted twice

hey everyone...i am new here.........HI!

The Exorcist
Grease
Wayne's World (even though it was made in the last ten years, it's still a classic)
The Blues Brothers
A Clockwork Orange

Z¥GG¥

X - ZZ - X
Cause it makes us feel like we are needed

I saw 'Get Carter' a classic the Best British movie ever made and 'A Clockwork Orange' definate classics always will be.