Collateral

→ in
Tools    

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
What about Stanley Kubrick and his movies. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman got divorced after they shot Eyes Wide Shut, and the women that played Nicholson's wife in The Shining went totally bonkers after they shot that movie. Lets not forget the Blair Witch Project. I think theres alot to be said about going crazy on the set of a movie.

Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny420
Rumor has it that Micheal Mann directed the old Miami Vice series. If this is true, then his the style of the movie matches very closely to that of Miami Vice. Regardless i thought the movie was very well directed. There were tons of cool camera tricks, lighting and colors were also very cool. This movie was totally cool, and unlike anything to come out of hollywood in the last year or so. I'm not a huge Jamie Foxx fan, but his character portrayal was outstanding.
"Rumor has it"? Michael Mann was the executive producer of Miami Vice" and wrote for the series. He was one of the people responsible for the show's look, yes. And it isn't only visible in "Miami Vice" and Collateral, but Mann's similar cool urban style is all over Thief, Manhunter, "Crime Story" and Heat too.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What about Stanley Kubrick and his movies. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman got divorced after they shot Eyes Wide Shut, and the women that played Nicholson's wife in The Shining went totally bonkers after they shot that movie. Lets not forget the Blair Witch Project. I think theres alot to be said about going crazy on the set of a movie.
What in the Hell are you rambling about? I suppose it is fun to write about things that you know nothing about, but it's just painful to read.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Stroika
Collateral is a great action/drama (i think most good movies are part drama). Stunning visuals, great soundtrack. Jamie Foxx is excellent as Max (definitely on the up in his career) alongside Tom Cruise who plays the role of Vincent perfectly imo. Amazing action scenes, and some excellent dialogue between Vincent and Max. I'd give the movie 8 1/2 out of 10. Go check it out, definitely worth it. (ahhh....no spoilers lol)
I liked Collateral quite a bit. I agree with you about Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise. They match well together. This was the first time I've seen Foxx in a movie and I was impressed with him. And Cruise was great as the cold, calculating hitman that made you wonder about his past. When Vincent made Max stand up to his boss on the radio I wondered if he could have a soft spot...until...well...Cruise was fabulous. I'd give it a 7/10.

Escape....I liked the bits of humor as well. I loved the Hospital scene with the flowers and Max's mother.

Stroika....I'm sure alot of people liked the soundtrack as well, but I didn't care for some of it. At one point I thought "What are they playing? Couldn't they find something better?" But then again, I'm one of those middle-aged people that doesn't like screeching in my ears.

Another thing I didn't care for were a few of the out of focus scenes. It seemed like they used this technique alot...going from blurry to sharp image. Maybe it's just me...but I look down because a couple of times because it was hurting my eyes. I know...I know...I must have old eyes as well as ears.

Holden...I didn't realise Mann was behind 'Miami Vice'. Thanks for posting all of the interesting info on him.

Collateral was the best movie I've seen this summer. I give it a 9/10. I really liked Michael Mann's raw directing style in this movie. Jamie Foxx proves that he is a great actor and Tom Cruise delivers another great performance. I liked seeing Cruise as an antagonist for a change and I hope he does it again. I liked the bits of humor that were thrown in too.

All in all, I loved the movie and I'm probably going to see it again.

film making extraordinaire
a 9/10 is a stretch if you are a frequent movie watcher. Mann did a good job directing and the music was used well. Acting was borderline, but sufficient. The movie did as well as it did with such a predictable ending. I mean lets get real that woman was bound to show up sooner or later. Dialogue was stretched out too long in some scenes, but not too bad. Effects were flawless, as they usually are in these present times. A 6/10 for the effort, but the script still lacked a certain originality and fire that people are drawn too. Again, a good story will always be remembered, this will certainly be forgotten.

Shelly Duvall went literally crazy and she played in the Blair Witch Project? How did I miss these things? WHAT in the WORLD are you a talkin' about mon?
And found he was eating his shoe.

This movie belongs in the dump along with Bourne Su'whateva. Tom Cruise can't play bad guys, he's too short. And Jamie Fox falling in love with that hotty-moo-hotty that fast cause she gave him her number? Good setup for a sequel where Jamie Fox becomes a stalker, BOOYA. And, why would you take a 'stone cold killer' to see you mom in the hospital? Then, on top of that, run away and leave him in the room with her? Maybe it's cause they are good friends or something.... And the cell phone dieing right when he needs it most... CLICHE. And the visuals, add it to the pile of over used hand-held-rack-focus dump. You shouldn't need 'crazy visuals' to patch up the crap story. BOO, rental.

Originally Posted by Stroika
Collateral is a great action/drama (i think most good movies are part drama). Stunning visuals, great soundtrack. Jamie Foxx is excellent as Max (definitely on the up in his career) alongside Tom Cruise who plays the role of Vincent perfectly imo. Amazing action scenes, and some excellent dialogue between Vincent and Max. I'd give the movie 8 1/2 out of 10. Go check it out, definitely worth it. (ahhh....no spoilers lol)

I haven’t seen it yet but hope to very shortly, But I was wonder is the movie shot in amateur film because it give that aurora off. But I like how tom cruise gets to play the bad guy for a change, and according to the TV reviews he does a very good job of it.

Originally Posted by Shinobi
But I was wonder is the movie shot in amateur film because it give that aurora off.
Collateral was shot on High Definition Digital Video, then trasferred to filmstock. I don't know if that's what you consider amateur (it isn't, nor is it anywhere near the first movie shot this way), but perhaps that answers your question?

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Collateral was shot on High Definition Digital Video, then trasferred to filmstock. I don't know if that's what you consider amateur (it isn't), but perhaps that answers your question?
Yeah thanks for that you have answered my question.

I would realley like it if somone would tell me the name of that song at the dance club part i cant seem to find out what its called thx!]

It Is New Mission For First Time
I Give Him 8 From 10

don't try to fix me i'm not broken

I went to see this movie last night, and I actually really enjoyed it! It's a typical mans movie in my opinion, but I thought it seemed pretty interesting.
Now I'm not really a fan on Tom Cruise, and I have read reviews saying that he couldn't pull the role of a hitman off, but I think he did it rather well. They greyed his hair (to make him look more serious?) and his dry mannerisms and dark sense of humour made his character work pretty well.
Jamie Foxx is one to watch! I was very impressed with his performance!

I thought it was a bit slow at the beginning, because you aren't told much about toms motives and what he's doing, but in the end it all gets explained!
There is an amazing action sequence in a club that I really loved!

I'll give it a B+

Anyone else like this movie?

Probably not surprisingly for a big movie that was released months ago, yes, many board members have seen and already shared their thoughts on Collateral. Using the search function would have yeilded a few threads. The largest is THIS one.

It was a very cool movie, one of my favorite.
It's about time tom played a villan.
I thought the thing he said on the train before he died was very unexpected. I forgot all about the thing he said eariler.
The few reasons I think his hair was died gray was (one) a villan is usually gray, (two) the lone wolf thing, you know... when the wolf crossed the road, and (three) it seemed like the things were swiched you know like the black ment good and white ment bad Tom- white gray hair, Foxx- black dark hair. Like nothing is what it seems to be. So instead of Good Guy wearing white and Bad Guy wearing black it was swiched. Very cool it made me think. I love movies like that.

What I'm about to say (my dog just made a face like it was going to throw up, it didn't though) is probably what you'd find if you clicked on Holden's link. I think the movie was lame. It's my opinion though. Don't take it personal. What I said in the link was probably more angry.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Well thats alright, thats your opinion were all different so your opinion is different than mine. We are just different and im not going to try to persuade you to think that it was as good as I thought it was. By the way what kind of dog do you have?

film making extraordinaire
I love it when he shoots the kid on the ground, such a moving scene. I love a movie that can bring a tear to my eye.