Life Goals

Tools    

What do you want to do in the next...

Year?

Five Years?

Ten Years?

WE ARE MARSHALL!!!!!
year: finish middle school and get prepared for high school.

5 years: be finishing high school and heading of to Marshall University.

10 Years:be finished my Bachelors degree and in the middle of my Masters degree.

Female Jungle Poster
Clear my VISA bill (not hopeful about this one)

Get some much needed home repairs

Get a dog

Get involved in community events

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

I turned 67 in early April. My next big goal probably will be to retire in another 3 years, although the nice thing about writing is that I can keep doing it so long as I can sit up and type. I don't really think about retirement because what I do doesn't seem like work--its fun.

It's kinda fun, however, to think back to when I was 17, say, and like a lot of you imagining what my life would be like. Remember thinking one time in my teens that it would be great to cash in while in my early 20s like James Dean before I got old and stodgy like my parents. But I think I wised up beyond that before I hit 17. Thing is, if life turns out like you think it will at 17, you either haven't many opportunities or not enough imagination. I couldn't begin to imagine in 1960 the world I'd be living in in 2010--the people I've known, the places I've been, the fun times, the hard times, the wins and the losses. It's been a hell of a ride so far and I should be good for another 20 years or more so there are still a lot of adventures ahead. My grandparents and Mom lived well into their 70s or 80s. My dad turns 88 in August and is still in good health and travels. My maternal grandfather made it to 98 and was shooting to pass 100. Last time I saw him, he had a business venture for us to plant a grove of pecan trees, raise them for a few years and then sell the produce. He had a piece of land already picked out.

Back when I was 17 I had a vague idea about going to New York, bumming around and writing a book. My dad suggested working for a newspaper, but that didn't seem glamous enough. But that was before I became a newsman. You know the ol' saying about give enough monkeys enough typewriters and paper and eventually they'll produce a book. In other words, anyone can do it and virtually everyone has. Ah, but how many can go out cold turkey and dig up facts from various sources and fit it together into an article, and turn it in by deadline and then go do it all over again on another story five, six or more times a day??? And each time knock out a lead that makes the reader want to read the rest of the story? Now that's writing! No wonder the really great novelists like Hemingway, Twain and O'Henry started out as newsmen. I suspect even Shakespeare put in a year or two on the staff of Ye London Daily Tattler.

Never thought I'd join the Army. Never figured I could afford college. Once thought the girl I dated through high school hung the sun and the moon, but every woman I've known since has had her beat by miles. Never thought I'd end up in some of the places I saw in the movies as a kid or that I'd talk with movie stars and presidents and princes and generals and murderers. But like they say, life is what happens while you're trying to figure out what to do next.

So for all you youngsters out there, relax and enjoy it. You're in for a great time, especially if you grab all of life that you can as it hurries by. Just remember this, the most important thing I ever learned--it's better to regret the things you did than the things you didn't do, so don't let a chance pass you by and be ready to take the roads less traveled.

Another bit of advice--be good to the people you meet along the way and to all living things, because someday when you're older and wiser you're goning to look back and wish you had taken more time to be kind and helpful, but by then it's too late. It's those little things that make life more comfortable for you and those around you.

I turned 67 in early April. My next big goal probably will be to retire in another 3 years, although the nice thing about writing is that I can keep doing it so long as I can sit up and type. I don't really think about retirement because what I do doesn't seem like work--its fun.

It's kinda fun, however, to think back to when I was 17, say, and like a lot of you imagining what my life would be like. Remember thinking one time in my teens that it would be great to cash in while in my early 20s like James Dean before I got old and stodgy like my parents. But I think I wised up beyond that before I hit 17. Thing is, if life turns out like you think it will at 17, you either haven't many opportunities or not enough imagination. I couldn't begin to imagine in 1960 the world I'd be living in in 2010--the people I've known, the places I've been, the fun times, the hard times, the wins and the losses. It's been a hell of a ride so far and I should be good for another 20 years or more so there are still a lot of adventures ahead. My grandparents and Mom lived well into their 70s or 80s. My dad turns 88 in August and is still in good health and travels. My maternal grandfather made it to 98 and was shooting to pass 100. Last time I saw him, he had a business venture for us to plant a grove of pecan trees, raise them for a few years and then sell the produce. He had a piece of land already picked out.

Back when I was 17 I had a vague idea about going to New York, bumming around and writing a book. My dad suggested working for a newspaper, but that didn't seem glamous enough. But that was before I became a newsman. You know the ol' saying about give enough monkeys enough typewriters and paper and eventually they'll produce a book. In other words, anyone can do it and virtually everyone has. Ah, but how many can go out cold turkey and dig up facts from various sources and fit it together into an article, and turn it in by deadline and then go do it all over again on another story five, six or more times a day??? And each time knock out a lead that makes the reader want to read the rest of the story? Now that's writing! No wonder the really great novelists like Hemingway, Twain and O'Henry started out as newsmen. I suspect even Shakespeare put in a year or two on the staff of Ye London Daily Tattler.

Never thought I'd join the Army. Never figured I could afford college. Once thought the girl I dated through high school hung the sun and the moon, but every woman I've known since has had her beat by miles. Never thought I'd end up in some of the places I saw in the movies as a kid or that I'd talk with movie stars and presidents and princes and generals and murderers. But like they say, life is what happens while you're trying to figure out what to do next.

So for all you youngsters out there, relax and enjoy it. You're in for a great time, especially if you grab all of life that you can as it hurries by. Just remember this, the most important thing I ever learned--it's better to regret the things you did than the things you didn't do, so don't let a chance pass you by and be ready to take the roads less traveled.

Another bit of advice--be good to the people you meet along the way and to all living things, because someday when you're older and wiser you're goning to look back and wish you had taken more time to be kind and helpful, but by then it's too late. It's those little things that make life more comfortable for you and those around you.
That's quite inspirational. I try to do as much of that "grabbing of life" as I can, although that's not always easy.

I'm still trying to figure things out. I've now got a bachelor's degree in Applied Linguistics, a master's degree in Multlilingual Communication and am looking to get an MBA next year. I'm a pretty rational and ambitious guy, but I can also be very reluctant to take big decisions, especially if they're a leap in the dark. I prefer to look before I leap instead of the other way around.

I went on an Erasmus program 2 years ago which allowed me to study in Sheffield, England for half a year. That was the best experience in my life so far so I'm now kind of looking into the possibility for me to get perhaps get that MBA degree in the UK or the USA.

I try to do my fair share of partying and messing around with girls, but not in the amount that it will damage my studies. Like I said, I'm a rational and ambitious guy and partying and drinking doesn't really get you anywhere except the gutter if you do it long enough.

I'm not a very easy person to be around for a long period of time, but I am happy with my girlfriend now, so I'm hoping she's the person I can finally settle down with. We're still kind of in the "don't wanna miss a thing" stage, to cite that corny Aerosmith song haha. We've only been together for 3 months, but this is already quite a long time for me. Though when I said I'm not an easy person to be around for a long time, that of course also depends on the person I'm with. Kindred spirits and all that.

Where do I want to be in five or ten years? I don't know. All I know is, I don't want to look back on those 5 or 10 years and find myself saying: I've missed out on a lot of things. I want to seize every opportunity; pick every petal of every flower so to speak. That might not be possible, but I sure will try.

That's quite inspirational. I try to do as much of that "grabbing of life" as I can, although that's not always easy.

I'm a pretty rational and ambitious guy, but I can also be very reluctant to take big decisions, especially if they're a leap in the dark. I prefer to look before I leap instead of the other way around.
Thanks. I don't think I've ever been described as inspirational before--in fact my ex-wives would tell the kids, "Stop that, you're getting to be just like your dad!"

Big decisions can be scary--like my daddy once told me, "Son, you never really know a woman until you divorce her!" And certainly I wouldn't tell you to go off half-cocked, and try to leap the Grand Canyon. There's nothing wrong with assessing the facts of the situation. But I've found that I usually get a gut feeling as to what I should do, or at least want to do, and sometimes it really is better to go with your gut or your heart rather than what seems like the proper or even easy thing to do. Yeah, that leap into the dark is scarey and sometimes you really do end up busting your butt, but you'll learn from that, too. And like I said, looking back from my 60s, the things I regret most of all are the things that I thought about too long and ended up not doing rather then when I just said "What the hell!" and cast my fate to the winds. If nothing else, it will be a new adventure. And if it turns out to be a mistake, cheer up--there will be other opportunities along the way.

I'm not a very easy person to be around for a long period of time but I am happy with my girlfriend now, so I'm hoping she's the person I can finally settle down with. We're still kind of in the "don't wanna miss a thing" stage, to cite that corny Aerosmith song haha. We've only been together for 3 months, but this is already quite a long time for me.
Uh-oh, that sounds familar! Been down that route many times myself and finally figured out that I was in love with falling in love (oddly enough an older cousin once told me that when I was in my teens and 50 years later I realized she was right.) Infatuation is fun! When you're just connecting with someone and can't wait to see her again, and you're getting to know each other and discovering all the things you share and want. Man, that's the highest kind of natural high there is!! But no one can maintain that high forever--it's physically and mentally impossible. Sooner or later you have to come down to earth and realize that although you were counting on seeing her tonight, she's got a family function to attend and you're just not yet family. You find out that in addition to all the things you share, there are also things on which you disagree. But that's life--and I don't mean some empty Que Sara phrase--that's Life, that's reality, that's the world in which the both of you have to function and respond to other demands on your time and emotions. Infatuation is easy, love in the real world is hard, and marriage is damn near impossible unless you both are ready to give 100% every day. 50-50 won't cut it, because some day you or she may be sick, tired, or just gripey and giving only 25%. So if the other partner is putting out the usual 50%, there's gonna be a big gap that love will fall through, so you both have to be ready to carry the whole load on those days your partner doesn't seem to be carrying any.

I used to be bad about not wanting to commit. After my last divorce, I'd tell ladies up front I didn't want to get married again. And I didn't want to live with someone and be accountable only to them. We'd be together as long as it was fun for both of us, and if it quit being fun for one, it was time to go. Some didn't want to play that game and left immediately, but that's their right. Others stuck around for various periods. But if you don't want to commit to her, you can't expect her to commit to you. You gonna date around, then you got to give her in your mind your permission to run around on you, too. you can't be jealous about someone you won't commit to.

Anyway, I did that for some years and never worried a bit about the old ploy "someday you'll end up all alone." Not true. If you ever attract love once, you can attract it again. But infatuation where it's all just the good times is not what love is all about. There's also a quieter aspect of love, not always swinging naked on a trapeze. There will be times you also just need someone to take your hand and say "I understand," and you know she really does, someone with whom you can share memories and victories and losses, and although your hair falls out and she can no longer squeeze into those sexy gowns you used to buy her, you can still see why you fell in love with her and you know you can depend on her, and she knows the same about you. There's a satisfaction in that you have to experience to believe, and you can have it, but you have to work for it.

And the place to start is with your statement, "I'm not a very easy person to be around for a long period of time." Why not??? Deep down you've got to know what you've been doing that turns off friends, lovers, even strangers. It can't be all the hundreds of them, it must be at least partly something you do or don't do. The very fact that you mention it tells me it bothers you. OK, you recognize the problem--now start working on it. A linquist has to know something about communicating so start communicating. And the best way to start communicating is to start listening to others. The people who others think are the best conversationalists are really the ones who are the best listeners.

And if your present lady friend is the one you "hope you can finally settle down with," a good way to start is to make sure you're the one she'd like to settle down with, too. If you really want to settle down, then you must get past that "I'm not easy to be around" schtick and become someone she wants to be around.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
year - Get a jerb closer to Des Moines

five years - buy a house, go boar hunting in Arkansas

ten years - Perform in another play, start a Siamese cattery with Alicia, hire a prostitute in Nevada.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Live, breath, and leave some proof I was here. The end.

Female Jungle Poster
Til the morning: avoid the chocolate ice cream in the freezer.

In one year I want to finish my Junior year and be prepared to go out to L.A. and start my journey for work in the modeling/acting business. In five years I want to be firmly entrenched in the film industry and also have the ability to start college maybe at Stanford in Business so I can have more understanding of the role an agent and manager have on my career. In ten years either be a Supermodel and in many magazines;especially Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition or win an Academy Award.

Amazing, I really enjoyed reading this.. Brodinski's post ...and your response to Brodinski. Inspirational. I keep a quote pad with over 950 (and counting) quotes of things that hit emotional strings with me personally, your in it now with people ranging from Steve Jobs to James Cameron to my high school tutor.

Thanks

Great Thread

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
Year: Finish my masters degree and graduate with a distinction

5 Years: A job with a reputable company and a nice house and car

10 Years: Be settled down with wife and a son, own a house in Dubai and upgrade my car to a Mustang