Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Here in Old Joy he shows us
Kelly Reichardt is a woman.

Not seen that one yet. Loved Night Moves, Certain Women and Meek's Cutoff probably in that order though.

Thanks for the catch, I made the change....Geez! I actually looked at Kelly Reichardt's IMDB profile, seen her pic and still thought she was a man I've only seen this one and Meek's Cutoff.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
Director: Shane Black
Writers: Brett Halliday(novel), Shane Black(screenplay)
Cast: Robert Downey Jr, Val Kilmer, Michelle Monaghan
Genre: Comedy-Drama, Crime-Mystery

About: A bumbling thief who's mistaken as an actor and gets hired for a movie role, comes into contact with a struggling actress and a private eye. Together they stumble into a murder mystery and must solve it before they're next!

Review: I kind of liked this one. It had some cool ideas going on, but I was not totally on board with it. I did like Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer in this. I thought both were greatly fun characters, who had oodles of chemistry together. That was by far the best part of the movie.

I also liked the light comic elements and the overall story plot was well done too, never a dull moment. And I like Michelle Monaghan who held her own with Downey and Kilmer, not an easy task but she did good. I just didn't love the movie, a bit too violent in my book for a story with comic elements. It felt like it wanted to be too many things, to too many different people. I'll give it bonus points for the Christmas theme though

Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer team up as an unlikely pair of detectives hot on the trial of a Hollywood murderer.

And some more bonus points for reviving the film noir crime drama, even if it's played for laughs. It's a stylish film, with plenty of eye appeal and fast breaking action. Never a boring moment. And perhaps a good Christmas alternative movie, ho ho.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
big fan of kiss, kiss, bang, bang. The trio WERE great in it, especially Kilmer.

Oh man, couldn't stand that movie for some reason. But I did watch it when it first came out and might've just not been feeling it at the time. Doesn't Downey sing a song during the end credits that has the serenity prayer from alcoholics anonymous as the chorus?

big fan of kiss, kiss, bang, bang. The trio WERE great in it, especially Kilmer.
Yup, Kilmer was by far my favorite character too.

Oh man, couldn't stand that movie for some reason. But I did watch it when it first came out and might've just not been feeling it at the time. Doesn't Downey sing a song during the end credits that has the serenity prayer from alcoholics anonymous as the chorus?
I don't remember for sure, but I wouldn't doubt that he did sing at the end.

Mars Attacks! (Tim Burton, 1996)

Director: Tim Burton
Cast: Jack Nicholson, Pierce Brosnan, Sarah Jessica Parker
Genre: Sci Fi Comedy

About
: Earth is invaded by Martians! who come with a fleet of ships and disintegrator ray-guns, along with a really cruel sense of humor.

Review: In 1996 Tim Burton gave us a retro nod to the great, err I mean funkym 1950's B budget sci fi films by paying homage to the genre that gave us such gems as:

Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959), Invaders from Mars (1953), It Came from Outer Space (1953),The War of the Worlds (1953) and Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)

Burton did this with a huge multi million dollar budget, and even a huger ensemble cast, that reads like the who who's of Hollywood with the likes of:

Jack Nicholson, Glenn Close, Annette Bening, Pierce Brosnan, Danny DeVito, Martin Sarah Jessica Parker, Michael J. Fox, Rod Steiger, Lukas Haas as Richie Norris, Natalie Portman, Sylvia Sidney, Tom Jones, Christina Applegate, Pam Grier, Jack Black

That's right, the film has a very young Natalie Portman at the start of her film career...and at the other end of the spectrum is veteran actress Sylvia Sydney who's career started in the 1930s and made only one more film after this one.

Model/actress Lisa Marie as a Martian in drag who seduces unsuspecting Martin Short.

What can I say! It's a fun film, with some quirky moments, but of course that's no surprise as this is a Tim Burton film. It was fun to see all the stars, but the real stars are the Martians who make for some really cool bad guys!

+
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	634377.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	28183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mars Attacks 1.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	28184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mars Attacks 2.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	28185  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Mars Attacks! is a fun sci-fi movie.

WARNING: "SPOILER!!!" spoilers below
Did you know that Tim Burton was told that he couldn't kill off Jack Nicholson's character in a movie, so he cast him in two roles in Mars Attacks!, and then killed off both of his characters?

Yeah that's weird! Have you seen it?

Yes, I've seen it a few times. I like it because it's a lot of fun to watch, but it's not a great movie. I consider it almost like a sci-fi spoof, like Galaxy Quest. What I mean by that is that I watch it when I'm in the mood for a crazy comedy, not so much as a sci-fi movie.

It's a spoof all right....spoofing funny film I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much.

I might have time to watch Galaxy Quest before the sci fi countdown deadline. Tonight I have up Edge of Tomorrow (2014) with Tom Cruise, not really sure this is my kind of movie?

It's a spoof all right....spoofing funny film I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much.

I might have time to watch Galaxy Guest before the sci fi countdown deadline. Tonight I have up Edge of Tomorrow (2014) with Tom Cruise, not really sure this is my kind of movie?

If you haven't seen Galaxy Guest, you should definitely watch it before you do your sci-fi list. It's another sci-fi spoof, but it focuses more around Star Trek than anything else.

I've seen parts of Edge of Tomorrow, but I don't think I've seen the whole movie yet. It's on my sci-fi watchlist too. It looks like a good movie, but I'm not much of a Tom Cruise fan. He ranks almost as high as Nic Cage on my annoying actors list.

And speaking of Nic Cage, I watched The Family Man. It's a good movie, I just wish it starred anyone else. It could have become a favorite for me with a different lead actor.

Glad you watched The Family Man, I guess they could have used Tom Cruise instead of Nic Cage...Nah, I know what you mean. There's certain actors that I just don't really care for.

I did see Galaxy Quest when it first came out but I don't remember a thing. Seeing how you like it, I will go ahead and request it and see what I think Catch ya latter.

Glad you watched The Family Man, I guess they could have used Tom Cruise instead of Nic Cage...Nah, I know what you mean. There's certain actors that I just don't really care for.
Even Tom Cruise would have been better than Nic Cage.

I did see Galaxy Quest when it first came out but I don't remember a thing. Seeing how you like it, I will go ahead and request it and see what I think Catch ya latter.
After you've seen Galaxy Quest enough times to know what's going on, there's an option on the DVD to watch it in the aliens language.

I've seen Edge of Tomorrow. Not much I can say without giving stuff away - it's a time travel movie.
Worth seeing for sci-fi fans, but a bit of a brain strain since it involves time travel paradoxes. (I heard rumors that all Tom Cruise's movies now have subtle Scientology messages - luckily I didn't catch any in this movie, unless Scientologists believe they can time travel among the other wacky things they believe.)

I've seen Edge of Tomorrow. Not much I can say without giving stuff away - it's a time travel movie.
Worth seeing for sci-fi fans, but a bit of a brain strain since it involves time travel paradoxes. (I heard rumors that all Tom Cruise's movies now have subtle Scientology messages - luckily I didn't catch any in this movie, unless Scientologists believe they can time travel among the other wacky things they believe.)

I don't know much about Scientology, (and I don't want to know about it), so if there are any subtle Scientology messages in the movie, I'm sure I'll completely miss them.

I don't know much about Scientology, (and I don't want to know about it), so if there are any subtle Scientology messages in the movie, I'm sure I'll completely miss them.
Nope, no Scientology messages in Edge of Tomorrow...but a really good movie, I was surprised too, as I expected not to like it. I'll do a review shortly.

I don't think Tom Cruise has done anything subtle in a long time. Perhaps if you play his movies backwards.

Nope, no Scientology messages in Edge of Tomorrow...but a really good movie, I was surprised too, as I expected not to like it. I'll do a review shortly.
As we await your review, Rules, I'll say that I thought you might like it.

It's rather well done with some good production values, and it kind of addresses a question that I've posed about some other movies (like Time After Time and About Time) asking: if someone has the ability to go back in time then why not just keep going back (or go back earlier each time) until you change the thing you want to change.

But, for those who haven't seen it, I can't go into the details of the little "catch" Tom Cruise's character faces each time he time travels.

I'm working on my review as we speak Well, not at this exact second as I'm here and not there writing I'll see how the review goes, I like to let the review write itself. Sometimes that works, sometimes it don't.

Yea, I though the time travel bit was handled pretty good actually. It's funny because I was into the film from the get go and as Cruise was about to be sent off to war, I had a couple really good scenarios on how the film would resolve itself in the end. Of course none of them happened. But I still liked it pretty well.