The Young Turk's Top 100 Films - Revised

→ in
Tools    

I've been reading a lot of feminist theory, and the cinema of Lars von Trier which is strongly feminist I would say.
That explains it.

Congrats Turk, you managed to get more reponse with a one post list than I have in all the lists I have made here in nearly two years. Next list I make, I am just going to end it by saying, "oh by the way Bergman's a hack".
Go even further, renounce Kurosawa, or dare I say it... Ozu *gasp*

Let the night air cool you off
Passolini is brilliant, you might like him, he is surprising.
I am interested in his adaptation of Oedipus Rex mostly, and of course I need to see Salo. Maybe his intense left-wing approach will draw me over to the hippy side and we can all read women's lib pamphlets while we smoke the marijuana.

I'm curious to know what exactly was it that changed your mind these past two months, considering you had 6 Hitchcock films in your previous 100.
It seems to me that he simply purified it to a list that is politically correct according to his personal standards, because he probably believes that he somehow found a new, more morally appropriate way of looking at things.

It seems to me that he simply purified it to a list that is politically correct according to his personal standards, because he probably believes that he somehow found a new, more morally appropriate way of looking at things.
No, I just y'know, have political beliefs, and if you disagree with them that is great, but it isn't your list. I don't think I'm better than anyone else, yes my view on art is conservative, but that's about the only thing that is.

You see when I saw it, all I could see was hate for the unions, and having my mum's family be destroyed by Margaret Thatcher's attack on the unions sort of influences how I see the unions.
This is kind of like saying you hate Citizen Kane because your dad hit you with a rolled up newspaper.

This is kind of like saying you hate Citizen Kane because your dad hit you with a rolled up newspaper.
No it's kind of like saying personal experience is taken into account when measuring someone's reaction, or are you one of those guys that thinks people who watch Natural Born Killers are murderers?

Vertigo is a disgusting piece of misogynistic trash that reduces women to sex objects, I much prefer that deeply profound character study that deals with dark themes of obsession, Nymphomaniac.

Vertigo is a disgusting piece of misogynistic trash that reduces women to sex objects, I much prefer that deeply profound character study that deals with dark themes of obsession, Nymphomaniac.
Nymphomaniac is actually one of the most strongly feminist films out there, it doesn't reduce women to this innocent stereotype, it actually takes into account that women are human.

No it's kind of like saying personal experience is taken into account when measuring someone's reaction, or are you one of those guys that thinks people who watch Natural Born Killers are murderers?
Huh? This question is totally backwards. I'm not the one conflating morality and art. This is the kind of question I should be asking you.

I would like to point out that this list is completely opinion based. Yes, you may all think Hitchcock is a lovely chubby British man with a cigar, well I disagree, I was merely explaining why he is not on my list.
That's fine--you'll notice I haven't actually argued with his exclusion from the list. I've argue with the reasoning given, which suggests that it has something to do with his films and/or influence, when it's pretty clear it's neither. Ditto for you disliking Kazan because you like unions. These reasons are your prerogative, but you initially represented them as if they were about the films themselves, when it's quite clear now that they aren't.

Huh? This question is totally backwards. I'm not the one conflating morality and art. This is the kind of question I should be asking you.
I believe the person is reflected in their art, therefore neither am I.

Nymphomaniac is actually one of the most strongly feminist films out there, it doesn't reduce women to this innocent stereotype, it actually takes into account that women are human.
This is kind of arbitrary, isn't it? If a film by a director you don't like shows flawed women, it's misogynistic. If a film by a director you do like shows flawed women, it's showing that they're "human."

Also, how do you square your conflation of the personal and artistic with a guy like von Trier, and his history of offensive statements?

This is kind of arbitrary, isn't it? If a film by a director you don't like shows flawed women, it's misogynistic. If a film by a director you do like shows flawed women, it's showing that they're "human."

Also, how do you square your conflation of the personal and artistic with a guy like von Trier, and his history of offensive statements?
1. Hitchcock did not show flawed women, he flawed the women.
2. von Trier's controversy was massively blown out of proportion.