Coronavirus

Tools    

I heard on the news that the crisis could last through July or August. I hope they develop a working vaccine soon.
I heard that the disease would still be around 5 years from now, but by then it will just be treated and reported on like the regular flu (which itself isn't really "regular," but is several different strains that keep evolving & mutating).

Like the flu we know, the Corona Virus will still be killing tens of thousands of Americans a year (especially those in high risk situations just as the regular flew still does just as it has for centuries), it's just our reaction to it and the media's waning interest in it that will make it a run-of-the-mill non-headline.

In other words - the current hysteria is just that!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The movie theaters aren't even playing movies though. But if the government keeps going like this, there is going to riots in the streets in the next couple of months, and people breaking into places to get food and what they want, if they keep going like this. But maybe that's worth it to hope the virus dies down?

... the current hysteria is just that!
It’s wrong to call it “hysteria”. People are sad, frightened, worried, anxious, nervous. It’s only human to feel this way.

And now Stringer Bell (Idris Elba) has tested positive for the virus.

It’s wrong to call it “hysteria”. People are sad, frightened, worried, anxious, nervous. It’s only human to feel this way.

And now Stringer Bell (Idris Elba) has tested positive for the virus.
The media is doing a lot more than just informing people - in some ways they are creating panic. And some people in the media & politics are politicizing the situation and thus spreading more fear whether that is their inteniton or just a by-product of their ulterior motives to utilize this situation against their opposition.

And yeah, I call people hoarding and fighting over toilet paper & stripping supermarket shelves, along with seemingly wanton attempts to destroy the economy in places where closing every single business or service is not yet warranted "hysteria."

That's not the public's fault - it's the media's & those trying to politicize the situation.

But the public would do well to maintain critical thinking, practice common sense precautions and remain calm in the face of the media's onslaught of "information" (factual or otherwise).

One thing I noticed that is strange though, is that all the groceries in Canada where I live are shutting down as well as public facilities, but the hotels are still staying open. Why are the hotels still staying open, when everyone else is shutting down?

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
One thing I noticed that is strange though, is that all the groceries in Canada where I live are shutting down as well as public facilities, but the hotels are still staying open. Why are the hotels still staying open, when everyone else is shutting down?
Where are you supposed to get food if the grocery stores are closing?

My wife will get to work from home for a while as she can conduct therapy over the phone. I won't get any rest though delivering to liquor stores by day and picking and dropping test results by night. I was given a mask when entering a Cambridge hospital a couple nights ago and I've been wearing it into the other facilities for that job.

One good thing is that I deliver to some grocery stores early in the morning so I have access before anyone else. I can fill up my cart and get out through the loading dock as the crowds come in.

Good question.

Probably a lot of people stuck there for whom it's safer to stay than try to travel home right now.

I have family in Spain right now, but as dangerous as that is, it probably still beats an international airport and flight.

Looks like some existing drugs have shown relatively promising treatment in several countries. It's called hydroxychloroquine...obviously early to call it a cure, but interesting to see if this progresses.

Id hate to see the economy after August with No School New Movies Of TV Show or Sports. And People having to struggle to get normal things. Im sorry for my comments on Trump Religion and other things if anyone was offended but I think Its too late to just stop and Stay Home. People who have struggling family businesses might want to risk staying open.

I Just think it should people business choice owners choice to open a bar or food business. I know they think quarantine means people wont be at risk if stay home. Im saying some people pride and lively hood is at stake. Things rich people may not have to worry about.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

I heard that the disease would still be around 5 years from now, but by then it will just be treated and reported on like the regular flu (which itself isn't really "regular," but is several different strains that keep evolving & mutating).

Like the flu we know, the Corona Virus will still be killing tens of thousands of Americans a year (especially those in high risk situations just as the regular flew still does just as it has for centuries), it's just our reaction to it and the media's waning interest in it that will make it a run-of-the-mill non-headline.

In other words - the current hysteria is just that!
Misinformation. It's not hysteria that caused the President to stop airline travel from Europe. It's not hysteria that caused the World Health Organization to declare a pandemic. It's not hysteria that caused Italy in certain regions to shut down all retail business except groceries and pharmaceuticals stores. It's not hysteria that caused the governor of my and other states to close restaurants and bars and schools.

I can't believe how many people need to live in denial and create some alternative relative where the cornonavirus pandemic is merely a product of media hysteria. I'm might be concerned, very concerned at times, but I'm not going to delude myself with wishful thinking.

To be clear I know this illness is very real. But I think New spread people fear and then Trump and his daily updates and calling a National Emergency just increased tension. Im very scared because my sister had serious surgery and she has to make her appointments and Lets not be joking about stores closing and no food. It would be sheer chaos if people could not get food. Trump would be known as the president to let things fall to the tenth level of hell. A Person is smart but get a group of people together and well. People at Black Friday Christmas Openings can trample people to death for a rare toy.

To be clear I know this illness is very real. But I think New spread people fear and then Trump and his daily updates and calling a National Emergency just increased tension. Im very scared because my sister had serious surgery and she has to make her appointments and Lets not be joking about stores closing and no food. It would be sheer chaos if people could not get food. Trump would be known as the president to let things fall to the tenth level of hell. A Person is smart but get a group of people together and well. People at Black Friday Christmas Openings can trample people to death for a rare toy.
Ned, I'm going to send you and your sister positive thoughts You all will be OK, be careful but don't worry, there's plenty of food it just might take the store a few days to restock. I'm signing off for the night and I wish you and your family the best

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Horse meat. Yummy.
My Australian Cattle Dog prefers elk tripe. So after killing local wildlife and forging for berries, I'll starve to death.

Misinformation. It's not hysteria that caused the President to stop airline travel from Europe. It's not hysteria that caused the World Health Organization to declare a pandemic. It's not hysteria that caused Italy in certain regions to shut down all retail business except groceries and pharmaceuticals stores. It's not hysteria that caused the governor of my and other states to close restaurants and bars and schools.

I can't believe how many people need to live in denial and create some alternative relative where the cornonavirus pandemic is merely a product of media hysteria. I'm might be concerned, very concerned at times, but I'm not going to delude myself with wishful thinking.
I'm not saying all actions taken to prevent spread are unwarranted hysteria or that the virus should be ignored or thought of as a hoax.

I agree with erring on the side of caution. But I also agree with Ned on the point that the media is engaging in overkill (as they often do surrounding storms or potential disasters that a lot of times do not amount to the exaggerated potential the media intentionaly got the public over-exited about).

They do this because they are more concerned with ratings (which equates to viewership & money) than they are in providing public service.

They are engaging in exaggerations and constantly throwing out worst case scenarios to the public and doing it 24/7 to the point where it's having a major, rapid and negative effect on the public consciousness.

I sympathize with the media on one level that it's a balancing act: trying to keep the public informed while not causing all out panic.

But since some networks or journalists (be they radio, Internet or TV show hosts or reporters) are more concerned with content to grab viewers (sensationalizing) or politicizing the situation, they are causing panic with irresponsible reporting that is designed to impugn their opposition rather than inform... which ends up in pushing people toward hysteria rather than urging calm & common sense.

Just got an e-mail from a bank saying we will only be able to use their drive-thru as the building will now be closed to customers "until further notice."

No more walking in the bank to see a teller or a banker on the floor.
(And here I was supposed to do some banking there for my mom tomorrow).

The e-mail says you can utilize all banking services via the drive-thru... wonder if I should put it to the test by taking some wrapped coins as there's always a sign saying you can't send wrapped coins through the tube in the drive thru.

Or pull up to the window and say I want to discuss options of opening a new CD vs. an annuity or investing in a money market account and maybe talking about obtaining a loan vs. refinancing on a home - let's lay everything out and go over it in detail shall we? (While the guy in the car behind me just wants to cash his paycheck!)