Don Siegel

Tools    

Charley Varrick is a great, underseen one from Siegel.

Of his early stuff, his debut The Verdict (1946) with Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre is a lot of fun, and Riot in Cell Block 11 and Private Hell 36 are two very good, low budget flicks from the classic Noir period.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	verdict.png
Views:	557
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	14829  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I love The Big Steal with Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer and William Bendix; fast-paced, twisty noir. I've seen 34 of his 37 features and TV movies and I'm sure Holden has seen about the same, so if you want to know about something specific, just ask.

I love The Big Steal with Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer and William Bendix; fast-paced, twisty noir. I've seen 34 of his 37 features and TV movies and I'm sure Holden has seen about the same, so if you want to know about something specific, just ask.
I don't suppose you'd be able to give ratings for his features, would you?

Understand it you can't be bothered.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Star in the Night (1945, short)

The Verdict (1946)
+
Night Unto Night (1947)

The Big Steal (1949)

The Duel at Silver Creek (1952)

Count the Hours (1953)

China Venture (1953)

Riot in Cell Block 11 (1954)
+
Private Hell 36 (1954)

An Annapolis Story (1955)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Crime in the Streets (1956)

Baby Face Nelson (1957)

The Gun Runners (1958)

The Lineup (1958)
+
Hound-Dog Man (1959)

Edge of Eternity (1959)

Flaming Star (1960)

Hell Is for Heroes (1962)

The Killers (1964)

Stranger on the Run (1967)

Coogan's Bluff (1968)

Madigan (1968)

Death of a Gunfighter (1969)

Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)

The Beguiled (1971)
-
Dirty Harry (1971)
+
Charley Varrick (1973)

The Black Windmill (1974)

The Shootist (1976)

Telefon (1977)

Escape from Alcatraz (1979)

Rough Cut (1980)

Jinxed! (1982)
+ (need a rewatch)

I just finished Charley Varrick and it was awesome just like Dirty Harry, The Beguiled, and The Shootist. I liked Escape from Alcatraz and Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but it's been a long time. I'll probably watch Two Mules for Sister Sara this week.

Love The Beguiled and Invasion of the Body Snatchers, really like Escape from Alcatraz and Dirty Harry, and like Two Mules for Sister Sara.

Must be doin sumthin right
Haven't seen enough, but The Beguiled almost made my 70's list. Glad to see it has so many fans here and will probably place respectably without my points. Good example of the greatness of American film in the early part of that decade where it's no big deal for one of the biggest movie stars in the world to come out with such a weird, unique movie.