Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I definitely recommend checking out Enemy if you liked it.
Cheers for the hook-up. I will do just that! I'll be watching it tonight...*Heads over to other thread*

The Firm (1993)

This is one of Tom Cruise's best films, with outstanding supporting performances by Gene Hackman, Ed Harris, and Wilford Brimley.

It's also the best adaptation from a John Grisham novel in my opinion. The movie is an excellent suspense thriller.

Night Shift (1982)

One of Ron Howard's earliest films as a director, starring his former Happy Days costar Henry Winkler and, in his first film ever, Michael Keaton as night shift city morgue attendants who turn the morgue into the headquarters of a successful prostitution service.

The movie's a great comedy classic. One of my all-time favorites.

i liked this so much! Not big fan of animated films but this was a pleasant surprise. Good story and beautiful animation. I loved the relationship between the boy and Baymax. Very touching.

I hope it wins for Best Animated Feature but HTTYD2 will probably take it.

i liked this so much! Not big fan of animated films but this was a pleasant surprise. Good story and beautiful animation. I loved the relationship between the boy and Baymax. Very touching.

I hope it wins for Best Animated Feature but HTTYD2 will probably take it.
Yeah, I was surprised myself. I don't follow the Oscars but I hope it wins whatever category it's nominated in. I liked Big Hero 6 more than any other film I've seen in 2014, animation or not.

Here's what I posted in my review thread:

Big Hero 6 is a great adaption of the comic book series, it’s smart, funny and riddled with clever details on and off screen. The world is magnificently crafted, weirdly similar to that of Blade Runner, minus the darkness and deadness. Baymax is the best character of the film, he is the epitome of loveable, everything from his squishy belly, exceedingly helpful behaviour and bright personality? (can a Robot have a personality?) will have you reaching toward the screen for a warm, marshmallow-like hug. The other heroes failing to live up to his likeness is a testament to the strength of the character - born with no backstory, just a block of metal and machinery and commands stem solely from the word of Hiro. He may seem like nothing much, nothing unique but something about the way he acts and evolves over the course of the film is riveting.

That’s not to say the rest of the gang weren’t good, they were great in fact. Hiro is a fun, little and ambitious protagonist, the heroes are all likeable in their own way. I can see the blondy-girl appealing to the barbie fanatics, the reptile dude to the stoners, the very caution Black dude to fans of spoof films and the surfer chick to the tomboys and men who have good taste in women (like myself, yummy ). I loved every single one of them, fun characters with their own distinct personalities and traits. As for the actual animation, it’s probably the best I’ve seen thus far. It’s truly remarkable how quick the visuals and movement of 3D Animation have grown since their only recent arrival, close to rivalling real life stuff now. The action scenes are wonderfully detailed, microbots as a weapon for the masked antagonist were effective, providing a platform for some of the best destruction in animation or film in general. Those set pieces appeared so deadly or dangerous but I couldn’t help but be in awe at the heroes’ powers, explosions and vibrant effects.

Needless to say, Big Hero 6 is a cartoon brought to life (quite literally) and has enough stuff going for it story-wise like upbeat humour and cool characters to avoid falling into the “beautiful but empty” category. It’s packed with content to brim and I’m eager to revisit to catch some missed hints and details. Superb animation.

I WANT MY OWN BAYMAX.

Gone Girl (2014)

Maybe I'm overrating this slightly, but I was completely glued to the screen for two and a half hours, and I would've been for two more. I really like movies like this-entertaining movies made for adults, like a Basic Instinct, or a Fatal Attraction. *They don't make these kinds of movies enough anymore. I had heard that this was full of twists; I think that's a slight exaggeration as I could've used one more. That's probably the only thing preventing me from giving this 5/5. I've heard mix opinions on Pike's performance as the wife. I thought she was very good, but not good enough to be the star of the show. I thought this was Affleck's movie, and after this, The Town, and Argo, it'd be nice to see him get some credit for his acting. I also thought the supporting cast was very good, and it was nice that with the wife, the sister, and the lead detective, that there were three juicy roles for women. This movie will rival Se7en as my favorite from this director.

Lord High Filmquisitor

John Wick - 8/10

This movie really surprised me. I just thought that it was going to be a substandard action movie when it came out, starring an actor that I did not especially care for. But then it started making the top movies of 2014 lists of a few critics I follow (it was in Chris Stuckmann's top 20 and Jeremy Jahns' top 10), which is why I decided to check it out.

John Wick is easily one of the best action films of the year and deserves the franchise that they've talked about giving it. In one film, and mostly through character interactions, they created a richly textured criminal underworld with inapired locations, interesting characters and an oddly well developed history. The action seauences were exceptional and even Keeanu Reeves was awesome in it. Its only real flaw is that it goes on for about one fight scene too long, but it's hard to fault somebody for enthusiasm.

The Babadook - 7.5/10

This is another one that's been cropping up on top 10 lists from last year (this time Chris Stuckmann and Brad Jones) and had a huge number of people recommending it to me (as it turned out, for very good reason). This largely metaphorical, largely symbolic horror story is only about one good scare away from really being a masterpiece. It owes its unique brand of horror to the German Expressionist movement' exaggerated, unnatural, jilting style - which was incredibly refreshing to see. The woman who plays the mother turned it an unerringly great performance as well.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Nostalghia
-

Simply astonishing how wrong a human-being can be about a film. I viewed this film once before and I absolutely despised it. I thought it was a murky bore that only repackaged the visuals we had seen in Stalker and Mirror. I was completely wrong, as in this film lies some of the most metaphysical, dare I say spiritual imagery ever put to celluloid. The film's final scene involving the candle might just be the most sublime scene Tarkovsky has ever captured and that is saying something.

Some people think Tarkovsky's later works aren't up to par with his earlier stuff. LOL

The Return

Checked this one out because I remember Mark F giving it a damn solid rating-a
If I am correct. Overall I am quite impressed with the picture, especially with the film's two main leads. A film such as this could easily crumble if the kids actors aren't up to snuff, but luckily this wasn't the case. The plot follows two teenage brothers and what occurs when their father returns after a prolonged absence of 12-years. The plot is quite conventional, yet it never steers towards cliche because the director knows that not all things need to be explained. There is a potent air of mystery to the picture, and there are some subtle visual nods to the work of Tarkovsky. I praise the film's visual aesthetic as it is quite excellent. The shots are always nicely composed and lit. The ending was a bit "abrupt" however I am still processing it, so I can't mark it off as a criticism.

Need to check out Leviathan.

That's a good and accurate description Hello101.

Yeah, I was surprised myself. I don't follow the Oscars but I hope it wins whatever category it's nominated in. I liked Big Hero 6 more than any other film I've seen in 2014, animation or not.

Here's what I posted in my review thread:

I WANT MY OWN BAYMAX.

A Walk Among The Tombstones (2014)

- Very Good action/thriller movie. Usually don't really appreciate this kind of flick but this one is very well made.
+

Sinister (2012)

- My favorite horror flick of the decade. Scott Derrickson is a beast and he's also retweeting me on twitter yesterday so . This flick is well-made and the storyline is creepy and the atmosphere is dark. Ethan Hawke performance is very good and the vilain Mr.Boogy is awesome. Highly Recommended.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Sinister (2012)

- My favorite horror flick of the decade. Scott Derrickson is a beast and he's also retweeting me on twitter yesterday so . This flick is well-made and the storyline is creepy and the atmosphere is dark. Ethan Hawke performance is very good and the vilain Mr.Boogy is awesome. Highly Recommended.
I agree with everything you just said. It is easily the best Horror movie to come out in decades (in my opinion, since Halloween in '78). It's just so absurdly good!

A friend of mine watched it on what essentially amounts to a continuous loop for a full year after I showed it to her. Another friend was so frightened by it that she had horrific nightmares after showing it to her, and that's after we chased it with Megamind to prevent that exact thing from happening.

I agree with everything you just said. It is easily the best Horror movie to come out in decades (in my opinion, since Halloween in '78). It's just so absurdly good!

A friend of mine watched it on what essentially amounts to a continuous loop for a full year after I showed it to her. Another friend was so frightened by it that she had horrific nightmares after showing it to her, and that's after we chased it with Megamind to prevent that exact thing from happening.
you have great movie taste !

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

I thought most of this was pretty awesome until stretching out a bit. Still, it's the best Sci-Fi action film I've seen in some time. It's got a nice premise, and good performances from Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, and Bill Paxton.

Enemy (2013)

...Jesus, where do I even begin to start with this movie. First off, special thanks' to Arcanis for recommending this one. I don't think I'll be quite the same again, at least not for another week or two.

This movie is brilliant. An absolutely devastating look in to the mind of a man who is truly going insane. The way the film has been shot and put together like a puzzle definitely makes it a good challenge to stay on point, (it did take me a second viewing to get a good grasp on it all) but drops all the subtle hints as to what is going on visually, as opposed to verbally...Though there is much to be revealed there too.

I'm honestly 100% blown away right now. No other movie has ever taken such a toll on me before...Every technique Denis Villeneuve used to get the point across in this film just works so well, and has such a strong impact that lingers right at the front of your mind long after you've finished watching.

Overall, this is a must-see I think. An extremely well done film. Will be looking out for more of Denis Villeneuve' work in future that's for sure.

5 / 5.

Mind has been blown!