communism related movie, please help

Tools    

Hello all,
Please HELP!
I'm looking for one movie for a long time. It is communist related, or better to say related to repressions of the communist regime in ex Soviet Union.
A man and his wife are going with the ship to Soviet Union, with group of other people of Russian origin. Wife is french, as I can remember. They are hoping to start new life in their country. But, as soon as they arrive on the communist territory, the problems are starting. Most of the people from the ship are killed by government, but somehow main character and his wife are getting chance to live ''normally''. Anyway, wife wants to go out from the country, but her passport is confiscated, and she is trying to reach French embassy. She gets a chance to send a letter for help, secretly via one visiting actress. And later, in Bulgaria, she somehow get the French embassy...
Details that I gave about the film are poor... that's all that I can remember, and I really hope that someone might help me with finding this movie.
Thank you!

Semper Fooey
When did you see this movie and how old do you think it is? is it an English lanuage movie and if so British or American?

That sounds like a pretty hysterical movie even by cold war standards. What year would a flick like that been commercially viable?