50's HoF - Part Two

Tools    

Yeah, Out of the Past gave him a good backstory too. Have you seen The Hitch-Hiker before?
Nope, this will be my first time. Should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to that and Big Countr. Didn't realize there were two Wyler films. One in the last one too. I already have three of his films on my 50's list.

All About Eve: I think this is my third time watching this film in the past year. Considered one of the greatest for very good reason. The story is simple but the script is absolutely amazing, one of the best ever. The characters are well drawn and well acted. Gotta love that ending, circle of life and what not. Great nomination and will be very high on my 50's list.

Great write up CR! Really glad you enjoyed it! I don't think the Hitch-Hiker will win the HoF, but hopefully I can get it on some 50s lists!
Thanks Nope.....I appreciate The Hitch-Hiker as a nomination because it's a little known film that's unique and well made. So even if you don't win you still win in a-way, just by having a very worthy contender.

BTW, if anybody has difficulty locating The Hitch-Hiker, PM me. I have a link for a high quality, restored version of it. It looked fantastic.

The Hitch-Hiker: Sorry to say but I didn't enjoy this one all that much. The premise is solid and there were a couple of scenes that I thought would make me come around on it. Unfortunately it just remained flat throughout. The can shooting scene was really good. I thought after that we would kind of get a natural progression of the hitch hiker getting more and more sadistic, we never really did though. In addition I thought the script and score were pretty poor. I am also surprised CR said it looked so good. It hasn't aged well in my opinion. Very dark film, too dark in fact. I saw a DVD transfer, maybe there is something better out there. Sorry Nope, just not my cup of tea.

The Band Wagon: I liked this a bit better than most musicals I have seen but still way too many lulls between good numbers and way too much bad dialogue during those times. Didn't know this film is where That's Entertainment came form. That song and the dance number in fake central park were the highlights for me.

Sorry to hear that Sean. At least you liked the can shooting scene, it is my favorite as well.
Yeah man, when that scene happened I hunckered down thinking here we go. Just didn't develop much from there. I forgot to mention the eye open during sleep. I liked that as well. Creepy.

The Band Wagon use to be in my Top 10. I got to find a musical Sean can like.
We will keep working on it,. I just hope you guys don't start nominating more than one per HOF. My mind wouldn't be able to take it.

Yeah man, when that scene happened I hunckered down thinking here we go. Just didn't develop much from there. I forgot to mention the eye open during sleep. I liked that as well. Creepy.
Oh yeah, the creepy eye, that was pretty cool.

Master of My Domain
So does Sean's general dislike for musicals include Disney classics? I hope not.

So does Sean's general dislike for musicals include Disney classics? I hope not.
Nope, they have always been the exception. I would call myself a fan of the new classics though. Little Mermaid on through. I don't hate the old stuff, much more hit and miss for me thougg.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Yeah, that was one of the scenes I really enjoyed as well.

Those are the exception for me too. A list of my favourite musicals would be just a bunch of Disney films, South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut and Team America if they count. I also weirdly quite enjoyed Top Hat, but that isn't a favourite or anything.

Master of My Domain
I would call myself a fan of the new classics though.
Awesome bro. When I said 'classics' I meant the renaissance era Disney films. The old ones feel dated and corny, maybe because I didn't grow up with them.

I think the difference is that Disney movies focus on character. The stories are simple but the characters have depth and life to them. Plus there is plenty of humor. With most classic musicals it always feel like space filler to the next musical number. That's why Wizard Of Oz would be one I love. Lots of character there.

Master of My Domain
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut and Team America if they count.
Team America is a stretch, but Bigger, Longer and Uncut is definitely a musical. Blame Canada ftw.