Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

No Country For Old Men:
A ridiculously tense, well acted (above "well" in Javier Bardem's case), beautifully shot thriller. There are a few logical gaps (For a man who doesn't know who is chasing him in the first hour of the film, Brolin sure is good at leaving an area a few minutes before a situation goes bad, and if you want to use the excuse that he's paranoid, he should have checked for the tracker during a car ride much earlier in the film than he did), and while I understand the thematic significance of the Tommy Lee Jones character I found him pointless as an actual character in the narrative. Highly recommend watching, but will strongly fight anyone that There Will Be Blood deserved Best Picture that year.

Elephant:
What an interesting movie. Watch it without reading what it's about. The structure is inventive and clever. Even though every character only has about 5 minutes to establish who they are, they all resonated with me as real people, and it emotionally hit me to see each one of them go through the climactic event. Length seems short going in (78 minutes not including credits), but the pacing is deliberately slow, especially in the first half, so the short time ensures that it never gets boring. My favorite Gus Van Sant film by a decent margin.

Thanks, CR and matt! No, there is an accidental pic taken by one of the women of Helen Mirren that shows a bit of nip-slip, and one woman has massive cleavage no matter what she's got hiding the rest of her, but it never feels tawdry at all. I don't know---it's come to the point where naughty pics are so readily available on the internet that some movies that are even meant to be titillating are relatively tame by comparison.

Welcome to the human race...
Just wait until we do the Top 100 Worst Movie countdown....everyone! is going to get miffed when they see their favorite movies being hated on
Pfft, we'll see about that. In any case, this is part of the reason why I think that movies like Battlefield Earth and Disaster Movie should be considered as important to watch as Vertigo or The Godfather - so people can get some perspective.

I haven't been too impressed with their recent output. Burn After Reading was mediocre at best, True Grit was kind of okay and I really dislike A Serious Man.
oof

Anyway...

The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer -

Brutal.

Minority Report (2002)

Being John Malkovitch :

I've seen this masterpiece a couple of times as a teenager, than once again in college, and then I watched it again yesterday evening.
I think it keeps getting better and better everytime I think about it. What struck me the most during this latest viewing is that the three main characters are so human and understandable that one can actually forgive them for being such a bunch of self-centered jerks.
I loved how the movie manages to not be gimmicky, and to explore the deep question of identity (whether sexual, or civil, or bodily) without ever being pretentious.
That movie will stay with me forever, and I'm fairly certain that I'll watch it again in a few years and find it even better.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm glad you posted that review! I was considering that film but never got around to watching it....so now thanks to your positive review, I just requested it from Netflix. I'll review it in the near future.
I think you'd really enjoy Calendar Girls for all the reasons dadgum posted and more

(REWATCH) Repo Men
A great lil sci-fi action/thriller with a pleasantly twisted heart to it. (What seemed muddled previously is given clarity upon reviewing.)

(MULTIPLE REWATCH)
++
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

F*CK YES

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Quite enjoyed this but too sentimental at times.. though I had kind of resigned myself to that fact before I was cajoled into watching it and took it in good spirits.. for some reason I got really excited when the two dames (Judy & Maggie) talk for the first time, it was kinda like seeing Capone and Deniro in "heat" together, a real clash of titans (omg I'm sad) but like I say, at times just too soppy.. it's basically about old people dying but trying to have fun doing it and it wasn't completely terrible

2.5/5

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Mechanic: Resurrection (2016) -

I was not a fan of The Mechanic, so I did not intend on seeing the sequel. However my room mate heard it was so stupid it was fun (which is right up my alley), so we decided to go see it.

Glad to hear about this. The local review dubbed it, "for the Statham completionist".

The Heat -

Watched this with my mum. She's a big fan of McCarthy not as much as Rodent though obviously. I don't know if i liked this more because i watched it with her, like a kind of i laughed because she was laughing situation, or if it just worked for me because this isn't really my type of comedy was expecting to hate it. It was surprisingly really funny. Loved the family dinner scene.

Don't know why i can't quite accept this is called The Heat and not The Heavy haha, i said it to Swan and i've now had to edit the title here.

Eye in the Sky (2015)

A pleasant surprise. The general reception of it was really good, but I could still imagine some problems this film might have after reading my way around, although thankfully not much of that mattered in the end. This movie was really intense and surprisingly well-written as well. The concept of a small-setting drama with great tension kind of took me back to some of the old 50-60s classics, I don't know why. In a way, this could indeed be such film but updated to new standards and with a more modern and relevant center. The story moved along nicely and the progression of it as well as how the element of war was handled had a subtle and sometimes super-serious satirical approach, which gave the movie even more life. The veteran actors, Mirren and Rickman, were both really solid, but for me it was Aaron Paul who stole the show with his great downtoned emotional acting. A great little film this one.

-

Air Force One (1997) (Dir. Wolfgang Petersen)

AMERICA, **** YEAH starring President John McClane is a glorious piece of straight faced propaganda that puts contemporary work from Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay to shame. I don't know whether we should rerelease it through Criterion or try it as a crime of war.

http://boxd.it/b1C8X

Welcome to the human race...
Weiner -

lol at the clip of Donald Have-I-Mentioned-How-Hot-My-Daughter-Is-Lately Trump calling this guy a pervert