If I Were to only Watch ONE Western Movie, which should it be?

Tools    

Those are three really bad choices, those are the westerns you watch after you see a bunch of other westerns.

1. Tombstone (1993)
  2. The Wild Bunch (1969)
  3. High Noon (1952)
  4. The Searchers(1956)
  5. 3:10 to Yuma(2007)
And if that works for you

6. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - this is the greatest western but it would be like reading Moby Dick for your first book
7. Unforgiven(1992)
8/9/10 - A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
ok so i (accidentally) did the exact opposite of what you recommended, as I made my decision before reading this. But i watched the good the bad and the ugly, and just finished up with Unforgiven. I am completely hooked, though, and now I'm going to go back and watch those five that you listed before watching Once Upon a Time in the West. thanks!

Well since I don't really like most Westerns I shouldn't 't even be answering this, but since I have 1/2 hour to kill before meeting some pals for dinner. I ' m giving you my 2 cents anyway:

True Grit, the original John Wayne version
. I was surprised that I enjoyed it enough to watch it twice. Good scenery, good story, well paced.

Is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid considered. a Western of any sort? Well then, I would recommend that one too- and highly so.

“Oh great! Real Bullets!”
Young Guns (1988), Young Guns II (1990) and Old Henry (2021) are all worth a watch.

Is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid considered. a Western of any sort? Well then, I would recommend that one too- and highly so.
It might qualify technically, but I think of it more as a buddy comedy.

As for the OP, I think TGTBATU is the best western all around, followed closely by OUATITW.

But if you want to get into classic westerns, you must watch Stagecoach, High Noon and The Searchers

"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" is the highest rated Western on IMDB.

Jimmy Stewart made a somewhat surprising number of notable Westerns, the best probably being Winchester '73. You might also want to try The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. He costarred with John Wayne in that one. Tom Selleck in Quigley Down Under is a good one but he also made some decent TV Westerns. And in case you haven't already and want to check out a legendary miniseries try Lonesome Dove. And Broken Trail which also stars Robert Duvall.

I guess it depends on the era you were born but for me it would be
1 The Good the Bad and the Ugly
2 Duel at Diablo (which for added interest John Travolta was watching on tv in the movie 'Carrie')
And of course
3 Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles is a comedy, not a Western

Blazing Saddles is a comedy, not a Western
My bad. I meant of course 3. A Million ways to Die in The West.