Last Man Standing (1996)
Johnny Handsome (1989)
Extreme Prejudice (1987)
48 Hrs. (1982)

Brewster's Millions (1985)

Red Heat (1988 )

Trespass (1992)
Another 48 Hrs. (1990)

I'm a huge fan of the man's work. All the lower rated ones from Red Heat and down. I loved when I was younger. Since than these films definatly lack punch on return viewings and my perception of them beinging farly well made actions or comedies has change quite some bit. I remember some of Johnny Handsome but it's been some time since I last saw it. So my rating might be a bit on the low side for that particular film in the man's canon.

As for Geronimo, I consider it to be in the top 3 westerns made in the last 20 years with the likes of these other 2 I highly recommand as well (The Outlaw Josey Wales & Unforgiven). I could fell the sunrise and set in this film, the dusting off of the caps. The steal glisten off of swords from reflections of the sun. Man hardened by a time when people had to be, to survive.

48 hrs has lost some of it punch and drive IMO. A year or two ago, I wouldn't have said it. The serious side to this film rarly works when it does it's great but when it doesn't it's pain silly.

Akira Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" gets another treatment this time called Last Man Standing by you guess it director Walter Hill were brutality & machoism get rub in your face. Hill has a great eye for framing scenes. Reds and yellows take over the screen as the desert becomes a melting pit of vicious uncontroled violence.

The depiction of men in Walter Hill's films has always been strong , unreal and you can bet your ass the best man is going to win. Characters have very little to say but when they do it's usually straight to the point. His character's also have a low disregard for human life. Getting the money is first saving lives is second, almost as if it's of no concern to them.

Extreme Prejudice reminds me of The Wild Bunch kind of felt like Hill's ode or to some maybe his wet dream to Peckinpah. Nick Nolte is great of course in the main role and again Nolte's character carries some of the same strong independences as many of other Hill characters before and after.

Southern Comfort absolutely surprised me as to how good it was. I expected nothing more than a film that took cliches to another level, what I got was a story that took itself at face-value. Taking as little easy way outs as possible and gathered momentum / suspence / action & drama from each scene. The endings a beaut too.

Another 48 Hrs., A Bad idea pulled off even worse. For a director I like so much this movie is very dishearting. Made simple for people who wanted a sequel and yes, sadly money reasons, it seems. Unoriginal and pinfully dull to the point of noding off. lowers the level of the standard action-nire comedies.

Trespass I guess for the genre it's not that bad. When I was roughfully 14, I dug this flick. But on hind sight I don't know why. The acting is coppy meldra-dramtic, storyline has major plot holes and some that disapear into thin air. Casting Ice-T & Ice Cube and than pitting them again Bill Paxton & William Sadler only hurt an crediblity the movie might have had.

Red Heat, I found to be imusing for the most part and there's nothing wrong with it, for it is. There's no serious undercurring themes no messing with the audience just some straight forword fun.

Brewster's Millions has certainly grown on me, if ask what i'd give it a few years ago it might have barly scraped by at 5 out of 10. Since than it's steadly gone up a few points. I'd loved to watch the original.

How come no mention of Streets of Fire? Have you seen that one? It fits in my tastes as a movie that is more ambitious than it needs to be, but I always have fun watching it--they've been showing it on one of the cable channels a lot recently. The first time I saw it I couldn't believe how many well-known actors were in it. Willem Dafoe (in his freakiest costuming ever--no offense, Green Goblin), Diane Lane, Rick Moranis, even Amy Madigan.

The whole thing is a weird cross between the 50's and the 80's--very atmospheric, very interesting, sometimes laughable. Anyone who casts Michael Pare in a movie should be prepared for laughable moments. Oh, and Bill Paxton in a very minor role, with a truly awful haircut.

Sorry. Rambling. Anywho--I liked this movie, but haven't really seen much of Hill's other work, except Brewster's Millions. I'll have to check him out.

Mary Lo

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
How come no mention of Streets of Fire? Have you seen that one? It fits in my tastes as a movie that is more ambitious than it needs to be, but I always have fun watching it--they've been showing it on one of the cable channels a lot recently. The first time I saw it I couldn't believe how many well-known actors were in it. Willem Dafoe (in his freakiest costuming ever--no offense, Green Goblin), Diane Lane, Rick Moranis, even Amy Madigan.

The whole thing is a weird cross between the 50's and the 80's--very atmospheric, very interesting, sometimes laughable. Anyone who casts Michael Pare in a movie should be prepared for laughable moments. Oh, and Bill Paxton in a very minor role, with a truly awful haircut.

Sorry. Rambling. Anywho--I liked this movie, but haven't really seen much of Hill's other work, except Brewster's Millions. I'll have to check him out.

Mary Lo
Thanks for the post Mary

I really enjoyed Streets of Fire, I think why I only mentioned it in my ratings is that my post was getting a bit on the long side so I decided to stop.

Streets of Fire is a new age musical / rock "n" roll cut above the rest. Hill plays with the genre and makes the most of it. The Main Character played by Michael Paré comes back to a place he left long ago. The man wears a trenchcoat, slicked back hair and basically embodies the role of a bad @ss.

Most of the time Paré is soft spoaken, tough and gentle at the same time if that's possible using very few words to express his emotions and thoughts across like many of Hill's other main characters.

I agree with the analysis of Pare's character--although I don't know how he compares to other Hill heroes. ("Hill heroes"--that sounds funny.)

I didn't at all mind him being the ultimate bad-a*s tough guy--this is one of the very few movies wherein I actually like Pare as an actor--but all the rest of the characters, especially Moranis' and Madigan's characters, kept referring to this, calling him "tough guy" all the time, it seemed. But that adds to the stylistic tone of the movie, really, so it has it's purpose. All in all, I agree--good movie, enjoyable as h*ll.

Warriors, Hard Times, The Driver, 48hrs, Long Riders and Southern Comfort are all superb films. I'd go as far as to say that the latter is better than Deliverence. It's a shame that time has overtaken directors like Walt and John Carpenter.