Shakespeare

Tools    

"Are we talking about Shakespeare? Sorry if that sounds dumb, but I'm not up on Japanese cinema."

- BrodieMan
Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood (1957) is a re-working of Billy Shakes' Macbeth, and his RAN (1985) is a re-working of King Lear, with both stories transplanted to feudal Japan. This was covered a few times on the first page of the thread.

[Edited by Holden Pike on 09-10-2001]

As a proud holder of a useless English degree - no applause, please - I love Shakespeare. My very favorite filmed Shakespeare....

1. Hamlet (1996 - Branagh)
This is the definitive film work for me. Branagh's brauva visual style coupled with the use of (practically) the whole text made this one a breath-taking experience. If you missed it in the cinema with a good 70-mm print, you REALLY missed it (at the very least, you MUST see it letterboxed). Among the many, many strengths: Jacobi is the only on-screen actor I've seen truly nail the duplicity of Claudius. Amazing and ambitious film that I find works perfectly.

2. King Lear (1984, Michael Elliott)
Made-for-TV, but with Larry Olivier as the title character in my personal favorite play, what more could one ask for? Terrific cast all-around (including Leo McKern, Diana Rigg, and John Hurt), but most importantly Olivier - then in his late 70s - IS Lear!

3. Falstaff, a.k.a. Chimes at Midnight (1965 - Orson Welles)
Welles ingeniously weaves portions of Henry IV, Part I and Part II, Henry V, Richard II, and The Merry Wives of Windsor with a bit of his own words to tell the wonderful yet tragic tale of Sir John Falstaff (played by the then enormous Welles) as one complete story arc. The battle scenes alone are worth seeing ASAP, as they rival anything ever put on screen (and acheived with no budget).

4. Henry V (1989 - Branagh)
The muddy realism mixed with an earnest reading of the play makes for a stunning feature directorial debut for Branagh. From the costumes to the cimematography to the casting to his own acting in the lead role, it's all done right.

Favorite inventive modernizations/adaptations....
1. RAN (1985 - Kurosawa)
My favorite play interpreted by my favorite director.
2. Love's Labour's Lost (2000 - Branagh)
I thought the blending of the Hollywood Musical tradition with one of the weaker comedies proved to be an inspired and charming match. I really adore this one (saw it six times in the theater).
3. Throne of Blood (1957 - Kurosawa)
More Bard filtered through Kurosawa - one of the most memorable finales ever filmed!
4. Richard III (1995 - Richard Loncraine)
Moving the play to a fictionalized Facist state really works, and Ian McKellen is perfect.
5. Forbidden Planet (1956 - Fred M. Wilcox)
The Tempest in Space!, with a healthy dose of armchair philosophy and (then) cutting-edge FX.
6. Men of Respect (1991 - William Reilly)
Macbeth reimagined as a contemporary urban Gangster, with a rock-solid John Turturro in the doomed alligator loafers.
7. Hamlet (2000 - Michael Almereyda)
Creative modernizing to present-day NYC that mostly works (save for the last act, which doesn't translate at all and brings the film to a screeching and unsatisfying finale). Hawke's slacker Hamlet works, and the excellent cast - especially Kyle MacLachlan & Bill Murray - make it worth a look.
8. My Own Private Idaho (1991 - Gus Van Sant)
The saga of the young Prince Hal who would be Henry V is well mixed with a modernized homosexual text. The late River Phoenix gives a captivating performance, and Keanu actually ACTS for once in his career (and does it well).

Worst misuse of The Bard...
1. Romeo + Juliet (1997 - Baz Luhrmann)
2. Hamlet (1990 - Zefirelli)
3. A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935 - Dieterle & Reinhardt)
All three were (I suppose) noble attempts to bring Shakespeare to the masses, but I think all three fail miserably. Luhrmann's has some nice ideas sprinkled throughout, but it's all much too awkwardly executed and overwhelmed by the M-TV stylings to come close to working. Zefirelli with Mel Gibson as The Dane is too dumbed-down and telegraphed, like a Reader's Digest version for the Mall crowd. Gibson is just out of his element, and even the capable actors in the cast - Alan Bates, Glenn Close, Paul Scofield, Ian Holm - are just way off here. The 1935 lush but stilted Hollywood vision of Midsummer's, with the likes of Jimmy Cagney, Dick Powell, Joe E. Brown and Mickey Rooney as Puck (?!?), is an earnest attempt, but this kind of staging, miscasting, and plain misjudgement may be exactly the reason so many youngsters (at least here in the U.S.) have such an aversion to Billy S's plays.

[Edited by Holden Pike on 09-10-2001]

Now With Moveable Parts
The best Romeo and Juliet is the one with Olivia whatshername(I know what it sounds like but i can't spell it)Anyway,it was the most like The Man would have invisioned.The actress who played Juliet was only 15 at the time and Juliet's charactor is 14.Claire Danes was like at least 20+as well as Leo.Just didn't maintain the virginal qualities that was intended.

WAIT, I want to answer the Olivia question before Holden Pike does, that is Olivia HUSSY!!! Hahaha, wooo, I feel like genius!
[Edited by PigsnieLite on 09-10-2001]

PS. Oops, Pigsnie says it is Hussey, not Hussy.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah...you did get it first...Wheee-Hooooo,see i knew it was Hussey,just didn't know how to do it right and now that we have to be all paranoid about DETAILS...I was afraid to commit...good show,P Lite.

Hey, chill-out on Holden. He may be a very precise man, but he does have something to say, and that's why you should leave him to it. If someone winds you up, just ignore them.

Now With Moveable Parts
Look...I'm not gonna lie to make friends okay...some people don't have to be so anal.Spelling,dates,and the like are not what we are here to debate.So if you're frustrated by the technical stuff,then find some place else to play "I'm smarter than you"I'm alittle bored of being corrected.On a lighter note...What did you think of Shakespeare in Love?

Sadesdrk, I'd never expect or want you to lie, it's just that his approach bares several similarities to my approach, so I'm covering my back! LOL!

Now With Moveable Parts
No,he's goes over the line...this isn't a free-for-all,you can't come on something like this and make people feel stupid or invalid...you don't take it as far as he does...he knows it too.He already told me to get over it or ignore it so...I'll ignore it,but two can play at his little game and he'll get bored and go away...why would he want to play with a bunch of losers anyway?

I just feel that you might only succeed in making yourself look bad. You're a top girl from what I know, don't let yourself down.

Rock God
change your underwear, gg? lol, just messin with ya, dude.

Didn't know that you cared Brodieman!

Rock God
it's all fun and games, chill out.

Back to Shakespeare? We haven't talked about him for a while, what with my underpants and Sadesdrks rage LOL!

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah like I asked a long time ago...what in the heck did you think about Shakespear in Love?Go through the posts man,I tried to change the subject eons ago.

Well, I would have replied, but, I've never seen it. Not my cup of tea.

Rock God
yes, jolly good show, old bean... lol, just ribbin on ya... we're still cool, right? anyway, i thought it was pretty good... i love anything that is even remotely related to shakespeare (he rules) plus ben affleck is one of my favorite hollywood people today. he's so cool, and such a great actor.

Now With Moveable Parts
I love Affleck's line,"just a suggestion,change the title.."Awe,it was good.And Geoffery Rush's,"I don't know,it's a mystery."I really thought this movie was a fresh look into WS life.I get so tired of the gay theory.

We'd be a hell of a lot cooler if you cut down on the "ribbing", mate. You seem to be plagueing me on several posts. Is Shakespeare in Bill and Ted's excellent Adventure? I haven't seen that flick for eons but I have vague recollections of william showing his face.