Safety Not Guaranteed

→ in
Tools    

On Netflix. Highly recommended if you like quirky low budget flicks.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/safety_not_guaranteed/

In the Beginning...
Yep, I liked it too. Not quite as memorable as I had hoped, but still a really sweet, silly movie.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Like the metaphor (which reminded me a lot of 2011's Take Shelter)
What was the metaphor? Inventing an external danger and/or goal to cope with internal struggles? Take Shelter is a great (if a little plodding) film, thought I hadn't thought to connect the two, even though I saw them roughly around the same time.

The adventurous risk inherent in marriage. Thinking of writing something about the two together, actually.

And yeah, Take Shelter is great. Really stays with you.

And yeah, Take Shelter is great. Really stays with you.
Loved Take Shelter. Michael Shannon is a force. I could talk about that flick for hours.

I was pleasantly surprised by Safety Not Guaranteed. It treated its characters like real people, and didn't strain for cheap laughs by embarrassing them. A character like the male intern could have easily been a prototypical nerdy virgin, but he had some agency in what happened and wasn't just a comedic prop. It still seemed a little too lightweight for me, but it was fine for what it was, and I always appreciate movies that can keep it around 90 minutes and don't overstay their welcome. Good pacing, and good characters.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
^^^ Completely agree with everything you said except I am perfectly fine with the lightness of it. Sometimes that's exactly what I want in a movie; lighthearted and sweet with characters I really like.

I remember watching this in the dollar theater and loving it!