Disney CEO Pushes Back Against Idea Of Superhero Fatigue

Tools    

Superhero movies stopped being events.
Counterpoint: a movie (of any genre) doesn't have to be an event in order to be reasonably fun.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
The pivot could be as simple as turning these into Bond movies, for lack of a better term.

Stick to your core characters. FeMan, Hulk, Thor, (Captain America probably doesn’t have the personality for this model). Make a movie every 3-5 years that is self-contained. Maybe pulling in a character we know is in the universe at that time, unburdened by a backstory imperative to the plot.

And just keep going through different actors. Kind of like an amusement park tweaking the rides and attractions.

It really feels that simple and seems to be proven by the “Rule of Batman”.

Counterpoint: a movie (of any genre) doesn't have to be an event in order to be reasonably fun.
Agreed, but it probably does have to be an event to justify a massive budget every time out.

I think there's still a pretty obvious pivot here where they make fewer things (my prescription) or at least tighten up a little (which will force them into cheaper character stuff over spectacle, anyway), or some combination of the two, and create something a little more sustainable.

That said, it's not a coincidence that they're running into the exact kinda thing that make comics themselves such a niche interest: you can only ramp up the threat so many times, and you can only tell so many stories with the same characters until you either have to completely reboot them or create some crazy, impossible to follow continuity.

The pivot could be as simple as turning these into Bond movies, for lack of a better term.

Stick to your core characters. FeMan, Hulk, Thor, (Captain America probably doesn’t have the personality for this model). Make a movie every 3-5 years that is self-contained. Maybe pulling in a character we know is in the universe at that time, unburdened by a backstory imperative to the plot.

And just keep going through different actors. Kind of like an amusement park tweaking the rides and attractions.

It really feels that simple and seems to be proven by the “Rule of Batman”.
Yeah, more one-offs and stuff. More experiments. That'll never hit the same chord as the initial MCU ramp-up stuff, but I think the sooner they realize they're not going to replicate that, the better.

The only thing on the horizon that carries with it anything like the same potential would be the X-Men.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Yeah, more one-offs and stuff. More experiments. That'll never hit the same chord as the initial MCU ramp-up stuff, but I think the sooner they realize they're not going to replicate that, the better.

The only thing on the horizon that carries with it anything like the same potential would be the X-Men.
Yep!

Kinda feels like the “phasing” of movies may be over. Or maybe it’s just me being older. It was cool to experience, but I don’t have any desire to do it again.

The world is looking at James Gunn (depending on much control he really has) to see what he does.

People in most Western countries have been conditioned by years of media messaging that everything that gains notoriety has to fall into a (false) dichotomy that is more or less a "smashing success/fall from grace" narrative.

I see the exact same pattern now being repeated with these movies.

Yeah, I think it should be obvious that the term never means the same thing to any two people, and there's always some motte-and-bailey stuff going on with anything like this; politically charged terms almost always carry an implication of policy or action which goes beyond their rote definition. Even when words do have clear and consistent definitions, they are never just those definitions: they are always laden with connotations, which is why many people avoid using them even if they generally agree.

But yes, we're easily past the normal lines of demarcation here, so let's call it there. And frankly I'm going to have to come in a lot earlier next time, because this topic seems to invariably get to this point any time anyone even so much as glancingly mentions it.
Is it possible to have an etymological discussion over word origins & histories used within the discussion without it being labelled and policed as a political one?

Just for the record: I simply asked how old a now-common term was, since, in my experience it's only a few years old, while others say it's much older (and some online sources say it's actually older still).

Is it possible to have an etymological discussion over word origins & histories used within the discussion without it being labelled and policed as a political one?
Theoretically, yes. In practice, it seems not. Partially for the reason I mentioned: I was talking about how terms have implications beyond literal definitions, and the same is true of mentioning those terms, or ascribing failure to them. People who say Thing X is responsible for Bad Thing Y are, 99.9% of the time, actually just expressing their distaste for Bad Thing Y. They can do this unknowingly (just assuming that their view must be the dominant one), or they can do it very knowingly, as a way to present (and endlessly reiterate) the same views with a veneer of analysis rather than editorializing.

Theoretically, yes. In practice, it seems not. Partially for the reason I mentioned: I was talking about how terms have implications beyond literal definitions, and the same is true of mentioning those terms, or ascribing failure to them. People who say Thing X is responsible for Bad Thing Y are, 99.9% of the time, actually just expressing their distaste for Bad Thing Y. They can do this unknowingly (just assuming that their view must be the dominant one), or they can do it very knowingly, as a way to present (and endlessly reiterate) the same views with a veneer of analysis rather than editorializing.
Well, I asked a question about how long a term has been in use. I got a couple answers, so I'm satisfied. (That's the extent of "politics" surrounding the question. Sometimes a question is just a cigar... to make a variation on another saying. It's not always a Trojan horse.)

Now we can all get back to talking about how movies suck!

Well, I asked a question about how long a term has been in use. I got a couple answers, so I'm satisfied. (That's the extent of "politics" surrounding the question. Sometimes a question is just a cigar... to make a variation on another saying. It's not always a Trojan horse.
Rule of Acquisition #208

*I thought your original question was worded honestly and you received some honest answers...and some push back too. If people could chill on the push back we might all be able to talk.

Rule of Acquisition #208

*I thought your original question was worded honestly and you received some honest answers...and some push back too. If people could chill on the push back we might all be able to talk.
"Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer."

The Grand Nagus approves this post!