Help with "The Witch"

Tools    

Well, the idea that a horror movie must use common horror tropes to be a horror movie is a little ridiculous. But okay.

By the way, I was basically plagiarizing Hollie Horror from Letterboxd earlier. She's one of my favorite reviewers there, and here's what she has to say.

Let's get this out of the way, The Witch is a horror film, you can put it in all of your other subcategories but, at its very core--it's a genre film whether you feel comfortable with the classification or not.

This film covers the horrors of colonialism, emigration, religious conviction, starvation, witch trials, patriarchy, puberty, loss, and if methodically exposing each of these very horrifying real life tribulations isn't terrifying and alarming enough, there's a god damn witch and evil goat for good measure.

[I'm not trying to be sardonic, but many others have written think-pieces on why a general audience refuses to label a good film horror, google it and you'll find a bunch of people who were actually paid to explore this common misconception.]

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Well, the idea that a horror movie must use common horror tropes to be a horror movie is a little ridiculous. But okay.
I never said it has to. And if you read above I said IT HAS horror elements to it. Does it make a full blown horror movie? NO. It doesn't. Sorry.

There are many genres of horror as there are many genres in the Thriller department,. I happen to see it as a thriller not as a horror. Sorry if you don't feel happy with it, but hey.

It is definitely annoying seeing horror so often mislabeled as something like thriller, when it's clearly not.

By the way, I was basically plagiarizing Hollie Horror from Letterboxd earlier. She's one of my favorite reviewers there, and here's what she has to say.
good for you man.

It's creepy. It's disturbing. It's got witches and the devil in it. The Director calls it a horror film. That's good enough for me. I really enjoyed it.

I'm not a fan of jump scares but there's a fantastic one in this movie.
I'm not a fan of jump scares either, I prefer the suggestive horror or the merciless attack on the senses to intentions that fall flat.

I just don't see it as a "horror" movie cause I didn't get vibe from it. Same with many other people. I'm on the same boat as those who don't see it as a horror movie but as a time piece Thriller. Different strokes for different folks.

It is definitely annoying seeing horror so often mislabeled as something like thriller, when it's clearly not.
What is more annoying Swan? That the world doesn't share your views or that you call it "ridiculous" when they don't?

What works for you may not work for others. What horrifies you doesn't horrify others, you know. I felt no "horror" at all with it. Nothing.

The man that made the movie could even call it Space Opera, it wouldn't make it one, either.

Welcome to the human race...
I think it's amusing that someone referring to themselves as "Little Devil" would take umbrage at the idea of calling a movie with a devilish antagonist "horror".

I think it's amusing that someone referring to themselves as "Little Devil" would take umbrage at the idea of calling a movie with a devilish antagonist "horror".
That must be because "little Nicky" is such a Horror movie classic

Nice b8 m8. I r8, 8 of 8

Welcome to the human race...
Easy with the 8s, Vriska. The joke was that it's as if The VVitch is like anti-devil propaganda and that's why you (at the very least) don't think of it as a scary horror.

Easy with the 8s, Vriska.
He tried three 6's, but the joke didn't work out as well.

Easy with the 8s, Vriska. The joke was that it's as if The VVitch is like anti-devil propaganda and that's why you (at the very least) don't think of it as a scary horror.
You assume way too much. I don't enjoy that, so easy on your manners and tone down your attempt at an attack ,ok?

It's simply one of the best horror movies that year. I think this movie is an instant classic and will stand the test of time. It is unlike any other horror movie I have seen. Stylish, eerie and smart. The cast is terrific and that old English they use makes it even more interesting for me. Watch it and you won't regret it.
As for The Lords Of Salem, I don't think the two have any similarities by any means.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
wow. this thread! a lot has happened since I passed out, eh?

I hate to add to the argument at this point, but I thought it was important that I clarify my view on this movie's classification of horror/not horror. There is tension. There is a nod to the occult. There are fearful moments that create irrational behavior and suspense. With that said, I never felt scared personally. I never felt on edge or any sense of horror for myself. My heart never raced. I never excited. More (for me at least), I was just a spectator out of my time and understanding observing a family of another time and of another understanding. While I believe the characters felt genuine paranoia, fright, and fear for their everlasting souls, I never felt more than an observer. I enjoyed this movie because it never tried to scare ...me, the viewer. Instead, I felt that I was more observing a study group in psychology.

For me, the movie clearly is colored with a horror, or more psychological horror hue, but that hue is only one of many other colors in the palette. As a whole, the movie leans more towards something apart. What that specifically is, I am not really sure, but it is not simply horror---IMO, of course! That's not to argue the point as right or wrong, as it is to just give context of my personal opinion.

Now if I wanted to argue, then I'd say The Witch is as horror as Walter Murphey's A Fifth of Beethoven is classical ;P btw, I totally watched The Witch with that soundtrack playing. With a fifth in hand. Perhaps that was the key factor---the key of C minor? Wakka wakka wakka....

I keed. I keed. I was totally sober and absorbed into this movie.